C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

reinstalling fourspeed in C1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 AM
TEP061
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reinstalling fourspeed in C1

Hello im reinstalling the original four speed in my 61 and was wodering two things does anyone have the parts to do this? all i have is the clutch pedal and the actual transmission if not who is the best company to work with for parts? Also the fiberglass was cut out on the floor to make room for the auto BM shifter. Does anyone make a tunnel patch to go over shaddy jobs like this? I want to make it right but im not really sure the best direction. IM just brain storming here thanks for your help. Tep
Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Go to one of the usual Corvette vendors (Paragon, CC, etc.) catalogs, and get a partsblow up of the clutch linkage. Their catalogs are online. That'll tell you what it's supposed to look like; what you need; and, how much it's going to cost. You probably need a clutch rod, "Z" bar, another rod, a bell housing, the bracket on the bell housing, the clutch fork, shifter, and rods. The shifter and bell housing are expensive. What do you have now for a bell housing?

Get a book on fiberglass repair. Consider patching it yourself. Resin and mat or cloth. You can even be messy. It gets covered by the carpet.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default 4 speed parts

some of that stuff can be found in a junk yard,,bellhousing will even fit off an old chevy or gmc truck.By the way,easy off oven cleaner works great and is cheap...for parts OUT of the car,,dont get this stuff on rubber parts or hoses.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
71zman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar hole cut in the floor of my 1960 for a previous transmission. What I did to fix it was to make my own cover that is removable so that installing th shifter and linkage is a snap.

The way I made this cover was I first covered the hole with aluminum foil to act as a mold and temporary support. I then fiberglassed over this with heavy matte fiberglass, make it thick. Once cured, I removed the cover and stripped off the foil, trimmed so I had good shifter clearance and covered it with dyna-mat. I used 4 screws to hold it into place. It was pretty simple to fabricate and works well. good luck
Old 05-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
some of that stuff can be found in a junk yard,,bellhousing will even fit off an old chevy or gmc truck.By the way,easy off oven cleaner works great and is cheap...for parts OUT of the car,,dont get this stuff on rubber parts or hoses.
Beware that Chevy/GMC truck (and probably Chevy pass. car) bellhousings did not have the threaded holes for the clutch ball pivot bracket (that bolts to the driver's side of the bellhousing).

Also, the truck bellhousings will probably have the wrong center hole size. Cars/Vettes use a center hole of "about" 4-11/16", while trucks used a center hole of 5-1/8". Yes, you could use the larger size with the smaller trans front bearing retainer, but it would not properly center the trans. (and the pilot bushing and front trans bearing are at risk, plus poor shifting and clutch release are probabilities).

In other words, some parts will cross over from Chevy passenger cars and trucks, while other parts will not.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 05-25-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To reinstalling fourspeed in C1

Quick Reply: reinstalling fourspeed in C1