C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OK, I'm baffled - High RPM break-up or miss

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had put a set of 43's in my car and had problems with them within 75 miles. Switched to the 45's and no problems at all since.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:53 AM
64muscl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my C2 about a month ago, it has a 355 CI Small Block, I was having a similar problem along with a miss at idle. I went through the fuel system and then the ignition system. My car does not have points in it they put in the electonic system. The problem I found was the coil wire into the distributor was cracked almost in two. I fixed it and it runs good now. Another issue I had with the car was one of the mufflers had fallen apart inside and when I would throttle the car up the stuff in the muffler would build up and the car had no power. I put on Flow Masters # 50 series and it purrs now. Hope this helps.

64 muscl
Old 11-11-2016, 11:56 PM
ricksphd
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Hey Barry,
Have you given any thought to your coil? I had a similar problem last year with a miss and (at times) a backfire at RPM's over 4,000 (using heavy or wide-open-throttle). Below that RPM (and using normal throttle) it ran strong, idled well, etc. I went the route of rebuilding my carb's, replacing the fuel pump, reworked the distributor, replace spark plugs & wires, etc. After a few weeks of pulling my hair out someone said to change the coil. I did and it was an immediate fix.
Roy
Roy, thanks for the comment. My '66 427 does the exact same thing over 4000 rpm (or maybe over 3600?). The problem just surfaced after I replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. The ignition system has not been touched since 1990 when the car won a Top Flight award with PO, so I think I will start with the coil, points, and coil. I'm trying to avoid the $160 shielded plug wires if I don't need them
Thanks again!!
Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Glad Roy helped you out, but he doesn't post here anymore.
You will find him in the C6 forum now.
It's good to search out information in the old threads, but posting to a thread over 10 years old is usually not productive.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:07 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Way back in the 70's when I had my original 65 I had a high speed, what i'd call stumble, only in 3rd and 4th as I remember. I put a holley electric fuel pump back near the tank and never had that problem again. I also hid a switch to turn it off as a security device.

Quick Reply: OK, I'm baffled - High RPM break-up or miss