C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Planning to purchase a mid-year, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Planning to purchase a mid-year, need some help...

Hi all, I am new to the C2 section, however I have been around the forum for a while in the C5 and forced induction sections.

I am starting to search for a mid-year small block, and would like to know what books, information, etc. you all would recommend to understand originallity, numbers matching, option codes, etc. I am reading the forum C2 for sale section and searching old posts, but can use some books and feedback to get me kickstarted.

I am looking to spend in the $40's for a nice small block car. Should I be looking at only coupes, or can you find a nice convertible in this price range? Any help is much appreciated
Old 06-18-2006, 12:02 PM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

One book that I found helpful was Corvette by the numbers by Alan Colvin.
What I found truly helpful was a new friend. A gentelman that does not live far from me who has been involved in Corvettes for over 30 years, and has had some very rare and valuable cars. He has been into the mid-years heavily. He was kind enough to spend some time with talking and showing me what to look for and what to avoid. He was even as kind to offer to look at cars with me when he had time. He showed me how to tell if the front fiberglass was orig. where to look for rust. how to spot fake trim tags just to name a few. Sometomes the best knowledge is not found in books, it's in people with years of experence!
Some of those people will share it if asked! Check out your local NCRS and meet some people!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to a NCRS event in your area so that you can see what a correct (stock) car looks like and then go from there. Purchase a "Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide" from NCRS as a guide to what was on a particular car when it was new.
.... After that look and see what kind of modifications you like or can live with. The closer any given car is to stock the more likely the car will have a higher price tag (i.e. an original matching numbers motor will almost always add value to a car compared to any replacement motor)
.... MOST importantly find someone that is knowlegeable about C2's that can go with you to look and shop.
Good Luck!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Howdy,
You'll find the folks here on the C1/C2 section to be quite helpful and friendly, many are also very very knowledgable.

Here are some thoughts:
1) Figure out what your goal is - an NCRS 100 point perfect restoration, a nice driver with maybe an non-matching number block that you don't have to worry about, a basket case, or something in between

2) You are better off financially speaking, starting with a really nice car than a project if possible

3) Watch out for rust in the "birdcage", the metal framework that runs through the rocker panels, up the A and B pillars and if you are looking a a coupe - around the roof.

4) Watch out for rust in the frame just forward of trailing arms

5) Edit - this item deleted because I'm doing more harm than good.

6) Check for working headlight motors, they are expensive to replace although easy to rebuild if thety aren't too far gone.

Jeff

Last edited by 62Jeff; 06-19-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The Noland Adams 1963-1967 Restoration & Technical Guide (Vol. II) is the best single all-around C2 reference book, and when you settle on what year you want, you should get:

The GM Assembly Manual
The GM Chassis Service Manual and Chassis Overhaul Manual (if it's a '66-'67), or the '63 Corvette Shop Manual and '64 and '65 Supplements (if it's a '63-'64-'65).
The NCRS Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide for that year car.

There are lots more books, but those above are the "core" books you should have to start your technical library, and are available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Howdy,

5) The vin tag and trim tag are located on a bar under the glove box. When you start looking at cars, post the tag data here and someone will be able to tell you what color interior and exterior the car had and can tell you if the vin tag and trim tag go together. Note - Vin tag is spot welded, trim tag is held on with special rivets

Jeff
in 63 and 64 they where spot welded. after that they where rivited using "roseit" rivets
Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
in 63 and 64 they where spot welded. after that they where rivited using "roseit" rivets
I've corrected my post.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I've corrected my post.
Your information is still incorrect.

In '63 and '64 the VIN tag was spot welded. At the beginning of '65 production GM began attaching the VIN tag with standard round headed rivets. Halfway through the model year (somewhere around VIN #9000) they changed to the rosette headed rivet.

The trim tags on all mid-years were attached with round headed rivets.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on wanting a c2-They are a blast. One piece or advice. When you find a car, get someone knowledgeable to look at if for you. I am in the c2 restoration business and some of the crap that gets dragged in to my shop that my customer paid ridiculous money for is scary. "Gee, it looked nice at the auction". Don't fall into that trap. Have it checked out before you buy it.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:26 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD-LS1
I am starting to search for a mid-year small block, and would like to know what books, information, etc. you all would recommend to understand originallity, numbers matching, option codes, etc. I am reading the forum C2 for sale section and searching old posts, but can use some books and feedback to get me kickstarted.

The place to start & finish is the recommended NCRS.org link (for nearly everything you need as far as information to purchase, and on-line advice).

Another place to start with basic information on where to look for numbers is (of all places) the AutoZOne Website on-line Repair Manual for Corvette. The "Serial Number ID" section will get you started (and the link index can substitute for a repair manual in a pinch).

The c2registry.org has good links as well and a search through the registry will yield photos of similar cars to help compare or narrow a selection.

Narrow down the features or options you want and e-mail owners with similar cars. There is considerable information (and opinion) to be found within this forum.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the great tips guys. I picked up a couple of books and will start to review the website links everyone has posted. Does anyone know of a C2 expert in the Philadelphia, NJ, DE area that would check out a car, once I narrow down the search?

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Planning to purchase a mid-year, need some help...

Quick Reply: Planning to purchase a mid-year, need some help...