C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Parking Brake Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:15 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C1 Parking Brake Flasher

I received several e-mails with questions about my fix for an inoperative flasher and P-Brake circuit in general so here's the full story on this option:

This is a very simple circuit; when the ignition is on 12 volts goes to the p-brake lamp, the other side of the lamp is connected to top connector of the flasher, and the other side of the flasher is connected to the switch on the parking brake assembly. When the parking brake assembly is off (all the way in) the switch is open and the lamp should be out. When the parking brake handle is pulled out the switch closes and since the switch is grounded by the parking brake assembly the lamp should come. When the stock flasher is working properly the bi-metal inside the flasher heats up and breaks the circuit (lamp goes out), this causes the bi-metal to cool and makes the circuit again (lamp comes on), the process is repeated as long as ground is applied.

Checking this circuit is easy but is even easier if you have a volt meter or test light. Make sure you have a good lamp, check that 12 volts is getting to the lamp when the ignition is on (this circuit is fused so check the fuse on the fuse panel). Check this part of the circuit by pulling the lead out of the top of the stock flasher and grounding it, the lamp should come on as long as the lead is grounded. If the lamp doesn't come on you have to fix this part of the circuit to continue.

Next we want to see if the switch is OK. Pull the flasher out of the switch (be careful, these things are easy to break). Connect the lead from the lamp socket to the connector on the switch that normally connects to the flasher. With the parking brake handle pulled out the lamp should come on. If the lamp doesn't come on press in on the "arm" on the switch to ensure the switch is fully closed. If this causes the lamp to come on you'll have to "fix" the switch by bending the arm so the when "arm" is fully released it closes the switch. The switch I had was in such bad shape that I had to drill out the rivet holding the arm, bend the arm and pop rivet it back on to get the switch working again. If you can't get the lamp on by pushing in on the switch you'll have to take the switch off the parking brake assembly and see if you can fix it (try spraying Connect Cleaner) inside and exercising it) or replacing the switch. There is a small round feature on the brake assembly that is made to pull the arm away from the switch when the parking brake handle is all the way in. Make sure the switch is adjusted so that as soon as you pull out on the handle that the switch is released so the switch is closes.

With switch properly adjusted, reinstall the flasher and connect the wire from the lamp to the flasher. If light does not come on the flasher has failed "open", if the lamp is on but not flashing the flasher has failed "closed". If your flasher has failed open you need to either purchase a new one or fix it so it's always closed. You do this by prying off the cover and soldering a wire between the two main contacts inside. The closed flasher can be used as is (the lamp will come on when the p-brake handle is pulled but will not flash) or you can install an electronic flasher. I got my electronic flasher at Advanced Auto for about $7.00; it looks much like a normal turn signal flasher and has two terminals on it. Simply cut the wire that runs between the lamp and the flasher and connect the two ends of that wire to the two terminals on the electronic flasher.

Hope this answer the questions I got about the feature.

Quick Reply: C1 Parking Brake Flasher