C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cleaning, waxing, Buffing out laquer paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 PM
kenglover3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning, waxing, Buffing out laquer paint?

Just wanted to know what everyone thought was the best way to clean, buff, wax laquer paint? The car was painted about 5 years ago with original laquer paint but was wondering how to best care for it.

Also any ideas on the best way to clean up the chrome. I bought a few bumpers about 5 years ago from Ecklers(what a mistake that was, such cheap stuff) and they are already fading and losing their luster. I was able to save one of the orignal bumpers and had it rechromed which still looks fantastic but the other three are in terrible shape despite the fact that their has only been about 500 miles put on the car in 5 years since it's frame off restoration. I've cleaned them with chrome polish and my rags just turn black. I am thinking about just taking them off and getting them rechromed but any ideas with either would help. Thanks guys!!

1967 roadster
Old 06-27-2006, 12:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The worst thing you can do with chrome is to use "polish" on it - it's an abrasive, and repeated use will wear off the ultra-thin outer layer of clear chrome, exposing the shiny nickel underneath it to oxidation; then it gets dull, and starts pitting and peeling. If you want (good) chrome to last , just use "wax" on it (many coats), not "polish".
Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The worst thing you can do with chrome is to use "polish" on it - it's an abrasive, and repeated use will wear off the ultra-thin outer layer of clear chrome, exposing the shiny nickel underneath it to oxidation; then it gets dull, and starts pitting and peeling. If you want (good) chrome to last , just use "wax" on it (many coats), not "polish".
I used a "Metal & Chrome" polish on one of my '65 rear bumpers and it ruined it! The only good thing is that I noticed before doing the other 3 bumpers. This was last year and at first it just looked like minute little scratched in the finah but now a year later it looks twice as bad as the lustre has really gone away and it looks dull and much more scratched.
i'm going to end up having to get it rechromed or replace it with a new unit.
makes for an expensive mistake!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I use Windex !

Mark
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

PS - I use Mcguire's Gold Class polish. Comes in a bottle, and is easy on, and easy off. I can do the whole car in an hour.

Mark
Old 06-27-2006, 01:10 PM
SIXt7
Instructor

For the paint, try clay bar, polish and wax. Did this to my paint and made a world of difference. I used Griot's products but I suppose any good quality line will produce same results. Did it by hand, no machines, and it turned out great.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
C64BOB
Racer

Since the paint is only 5 years old I'm assuming it's still really nice. So clay, swirl remover (even with power it doesn't remove much material) then wax without abrasives (not any form of "cleaner wax"). Lacquer continues to dry and become more brittle as it ages so if you want it to last 20 years keep it out of the sun as much as possible particularly if there's much clear coat on the car.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:39 PM
kenglover3
4th Gear

Thanks so much for the replies!

I've always just wiped off the chrome bumpers but they are a wreck. I tried the New Eagle One Nano Chrome Polish but it didn't do much of anything so I think I'll stick to wax or glass cleaner from now on.

I've heard of the clay bar trick but just wasn't sure if it would be ok to use on Laquer paint. The paint job is still in perfect condition as is the car since I've only put about 100 miles a year on it since the restoration. So I think I'll give the clay bar a try and see how it turns out. Any more hints or ideas feel free to send them out!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

If your bumpers are already shot, and you have the small pits and light color issue, some 0000 Steel wool is not going to hurt it any more then it is. This will get the rust color out of the pits.

Mark
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM
trw58c1
Racer

Nice guy, great products. I'm sure they'll be at Carlisle like last year.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/index.cfm

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning, waxing, Buffing out laquer paint?

Quick Reply: Cleaning, waxing, Buffing out laquer paint?