C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 327 banging noise at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Stingray_RSSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 327 banging noise at full throttle

Went for a ride last night with the wife in our 66 coupe. It has a 327/300, I punched it and heard what sounded like something slapping hard under the front of the car, thought maybe I hit something. Pulled off checked it out, didn't see anything hanging, its very clean underneath, having rebuilt the entire chassis earlier this year. I ran it hard again, it sounded like it came from my side under the car, and the wife said it sounded like her side, almost sounds like a belt is slapping hard against the underneath, the belts are tight. I revved it hard sitting idle and no noise, if I just do half throttle there is no noise. Also the car runs good, but have noticed now and then rough idle, which is why I punched it to see if carb was dirty. Its a rebuilt about a year ago. I am going to jack it up and look carefully underneath, but looking for help or suggestions.

Dennis

Last edited by Stingray_RSSS; 08-27-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:58 AM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Bad motor and/or tranny mount?
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (11-18-2015)
Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 AM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if it does it when your alone in the car. The extra weight of another person may cause something to contact the floor.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:20 AM
63C2splitter
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by skids
Bad motor and/or tranny mount?

That would be the first thing I would check. If it is making the noise under power, a mount could be allowing the drive line to hit the tunnel. Did you notice if the shifter was moving a lot to one side during accelleration? Hope it is something simple.

Dave
Old 08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

If you have power steering, check to see if the pulley on the pump drive is secure.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
bopewells
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In my 61 with a 5-speed installed, the rear transmission mount bolts loosened just enough to allow the transmission tail=shaft to shift sideways so that under hard (or even moderate) acceleration, the bolt heads on the universal joint were hitting the side of the transmission tunnel. Shifted everything back to center, tightened everything back up, all is well!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
rahzip
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with motor mount and trans mount.
If the car is a 4 Spd the shifter would raise when you accelerate
Old 08-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Birdball
Racer

I agree with the mount, and your fan could be hitting the shroud under acceleration as another noise option. There should be some markes on the inside of the shroud if so....

matt
Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray_RSSS
Went for a ride last night with the wife in our 66 coupe. It has a 327/300, I punched it and heard what sounded like something slapping hard under the front of the car, thought maybe I hit something. Pulled off checked it out, didn't see anything hanging, its very clean underneath, having rebuilt the entire chassis earlier this year. I ran it hard again, it sounded like it came from my side under the car, and the wife said it sounded like her side, almost sounds like a belt is slapping hard against the underneath, the belts are tight. I revved it hard sitting idle and no noise, if I just do half throttle there is no noise. Also the car runs good, but have noticed now and then rough idle, which is why I punched it to see if carb was dirty. Its a rebuilt about a year ago. I am going to jack it up and look carefully underneath, but looking for help or suggestions.

Dennis

Look at the underside of the driveshaft tunnel in the area of the seat supports. Sometimes the floor sags a little and it hits the driveshaft. Might do it with two people aboard but not one.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:28 AM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

CHECK THE TIRES.

I experienced a similar noise just before my right front tire came apart and just about tore the fender off.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Banging Under Load With 2 Passengers

Originally Posted by MikeM
Look at the underside of the driveshaft tunnel in the area of the seat supports. Sometimes the floor sags a little and it hits the driveshaft. Might do it with two people aboard but not one.
===================================

A friend of mine had a 67 that developed the same problem. What happened to his was that the vertical panel behind the seats (it's made of steel) broke loose from its' mounts at each end, and caused the floor to sag with 2 people in the car. The drive shaft was banging against the floor at the transmission end.

RON
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

It sounds to me like the floor pan is hitting the driveshaft back at the rear end. The floor pan typically sags in that area and over time with the weight of two people in the car has made you notice it.. Dave
Old 08-27-2006, 01:38 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM

If that is what you find check the rivets on either side of the divider panel behind the seats
Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
MORHPPLZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe a slow moving Hyundai Just a thought
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Check the condition of the bushings where the bracket on the nose of the diff bolts to the frame; if they've deteriorated, it'll allow the bracket to rise up enough such that the rear prop shaft flange and U-bolts will hit the top of the tunnel, especially if the floor pan has sagged in that area.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am getting this same thumping under the car under acceleration with two people in the car. I have gone under the car several times and can't find any places where it looks like there is contact. I have had the differential bushing changed twice over the years and it didn't help. I can feel it while driving and it feels like it is right under the seats. If that vertical support behind the seats is not connected properly where would I look to see it. Under the carpet, under the car? I have been living with this problem for several years and sure would like to get it fixed.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:36 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT-65
I am getting this same thumping under the car under acceleration with two people in the car. I have gone under the car several times and can't find any places where it looks like there is contact. I have had the differential bushing changed twice over the years and it didn't help. I can feel it while driving and it feels like it is right under the seats. If that vertical support behind the seats is not connected properly where would I look to see it. Under the carpet, under the car? I have been living with this problem for several years and sure would like to get it fixed.
Both places....

Get under the car and push up and down on floor pan, roughly where the luggage stop would be...look for movement and you will/should see where the rivets should be...if you cannot see it then take up the carpet behind the seat/s at floor level, then you should see where the rivets are or are missing...

Get notified of new replies

To 66 327 banging noise at full throttle

Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Not mentioned yet is exhaust grounding where they pass through the crossmember.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Bushings

Did you use poly or rubber diff. bushings. If you used poly, that could cause the problem you are having. The poly bushings are too thin. Jerry
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT-65
I have been living with this problem for several years and sure would like to get it fixed.
If it's the rear diff u joint hitting and it's been going on for "years", you should see it coming through your floor hump under the storage area.
Mine had a hole about 2"x3" carved out by this. My luggage stop had popped most of the rivets. These are visible from under the car too.

Quick Reply: 66 327 banging noise at full throttle