C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

polishing aluminum guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 PM
pjarrett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing aluminum guidance

My sill plates and my windsheild frame need to be polished. I have the window frame all stripped down and it's in very good condition, but not shinny. My sill plates on the other hand are scratched up a bit, but in good shape.

I tried to sand a small section of the aluminum on the sill plate, and polish it out. I've found that my method is not consistent. Does anyone have any good advice or tips on how to polish aluminum with a scratched up surface? Any recomened products or methods are appreciated.

Paul
Parker, CO
Old 09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Formula Outlaw
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I detailed motorcycles for a living for a few years. Here's what I've found:

For the final buffing out, there are a lot of good products out there, but good ol' "Semi-Chrome" available at any motorcycle shops does as good a job as any.

If they are scratched, start wetsanding it with about 800 grit or maybe 1000, then keep wet sanding until you've worked your way up to 1800 grit or even 2000. Then buff out with Semi-Chrome two, maybe three coats. If the aluminum you're working with is of any quality, it'll shine like a million bucks....
Old 09-02-2006, 05:42 PM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experiance polishing aluminium for my choppers in the past leads me to say. Farm out the job. Polishing aluminium is maybe the filthist nastiest job you will ever do. IMHO.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

The sill plates are anodized aluminum, and you have to sand the anodizing completely off before polishing can begin. That being said, you will find that the polished aluminum will look much more shiny that it ever did from the factory, but the lack of anodizing will make them wear very poorly. The anodizing wad done to make the plates wear well with the constant dragging of feet across the sills.
The windshield trim is all stainless steel and is pretty tough for a novice to polish, but it can be done if you are ambitious. To polish stainless, you will need to invest in a good quality buffer and several buffing wheels, compounds and and sanding supplies, as well as a good book on the process. Polishing aluminum is a walk in the park compared to polishing stainless.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To polishing aluminum guidance

Quick Reply: polishing aluminum guidance