C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

First long drive with SRII chassis under a C1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 60vett
I'm available as a stepson if needed! nice car and nice garage!

Me to

Did any of you guys running the SRIII with an LS1, buy a used C5 as an engine, suspension donor car? I am actually considering going this direction with mine. Just buying the basic frame, and purchasing a C5 as an engine, suspension, whatever else, I can find to use, donor car, then part out the rest. Might be $$$ ahead doing it that way.

HMMM wonder what my complete rust free rolling 65 vert frame would be worth?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
Me to

Did any of you guys running the SRIII with an LS1, buy a used C5 as an engine, suspension donor car? I am actually considering going this direction with mine. Just buying the basic frame, and purchasing a C5 as an engine, suspension, whatever else, I can find to use, donor car, then part out the rest. Might be $$$ ahead doing it that way.

My original frame and assorted parts brought back more than the cost of a rolling chassis.

If you want a bucks down simple conversion skip the LSX engine and just use your SBC and Tremec 5spd. I even had Mike add the tower for the clutch Z-bar. I love the LSX 6 spd conversions, but really wanted the simplicity of using as many readily available stock parts as possible
ie; mechanical fuel pump, mechanical clutch linkage, simple Holley carb and regular old distributor.

I drive it alot and being able to repair it far away from home quickly for minimal cost was important to me.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I also used Hot Rod Air. It fit very well. I used the stock control panel cause I built my car took look as stock as I could. If you don't open the hood most people don't know it's not a bone stock car. John's car is more custom and he dose make a beautiful car. By the pic's i'v seen I think John's work is top notch. I built this car to look like the one my dad had. Same colors and bone stock. I wish he was still here to see and drive it. Brian G.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by aworks
Firstgear. the seats are Al Knoch. I bought them with the rest of the int. last year. The seats where 1200.00. Now he's getting much more.[IMG][/IMG]
yes, I think he is closer to $1900 or so now...why? Cause he can!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Bill,

I used HotRod air's unit. The fit is tight, but they build a well thought-out unit that replaces the original heater unit with a Heat/Cool combo unit. Of course, my firewall was filled and smoothed, so I took some license with the installation. Here are a few pics of my installation. There is not much detail, as it is impossible to get both my fat body AND a camera under the dash at the same time.
I bought the system without hoses, since I wanted to fabricate my own, and I built my own control panel with parts from several vendors including Vintage Air. The unit is pretty well covered by the original heater panel when it is installed as you can see in the last pic. I did notch the end of the heater cover to allow me to raise the passenger side outside vent ball up a little, but that was my decision, not a requirement. Sorry for the lack of detail.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1747203

Regards, John McGraw
John, I am brining my 60 over...can you get the interior to look like yours but in mine? Black is what I would like....thanks! Herb
Old 09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
Me to

John,

I did not buy an entire donor car. I looked at that option, but realized that I would use so few parts from the C5, that it was not worth my time doing so. The C2 could only use the engine and front suspension arms as well as the front sway bar. The rear suspension has to be C4 as does the steering rack, and the trans has to be a conventional front-mounted trans.

I bought all my suspension parts through Ebay. I let many over priced setups go by and only bought stuff when it was a bargain. I got my D36 for the 59 for $500 and only paid $1100 for the D44 in my 65. Likewise, I paid less than $500 for both the front C4 steup in my 59, and the C5 setup in my 65.

I got a nice, 14K mile LS1 from a wrecked Camaro for the 59 and paid $4000 for it, including engine, trans, harness, PCM, and all accessories.

For the 65, I found a train that derailed in Iowa and destroyed over 20 new cars. I bought a 0 mile LS2 drivetrain from one of them for $7500 delivered to my door. As with the LS1, it came with all the bits and pieces.

I love the LS engine, and will probably never build another smallblock again unless it is a restoration. Bob's point is valid about keeping it simple for ease of repair, but I figured that I have a LS drivetrain in all 3 of my daily drivers, and I drive them anywhere that I want without worrying about getting home, so the one in my hotrods should be just as reliable.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Brian,

I am about halfway up on my adjustment nut. With my nut all the way down, the tires were almost up in the wheelwells. Larry Savino over at the CAC board used some of the variable rate shocks on his 62, and he said that they were too stiff as well. Here is a pic of the 59 with 250's and the adjustment half way up.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0001388.jpg

You really can't run this chassis down in the weeds anyway since the frame will high-center over sharp driveway approaches anyway!
I can't get gas at my favorite gas station, since their driveway ramp is so steep. That is the only downside to Mike's frame, the drcreased ground clearance. I have gotten used to it now, and just don't take my 59 in the same places that I would take my truck.

Regards, John McGraw
Looks awesome John... You gotta post more pics of this beauty....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:02 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
I first thought the same thing. But out of 7 old gearhead cars of which 4 are corvettes. I thought it was time to build a car that was as nice and comfortable as I could. AC, power windows, auto,and power steering is about all you can ask of an old C1. Not the fastest car I have but sure is nice to drive.

What powersteering did you use...??? I'm part of the 50 something crowd and it's all about comfort now....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks a bunch John and Bob I need to sit down and put some numbers on paper

I don't want to hijack Brians thread anymore, so John is it ok for me to send you a PM on the particulars of your setup?

Last edited by Johns_65Vette; 09-11-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

John,
Feel free to PM me anytime.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow ! That car is beautiful. What size wheels and tires did you use ? I really want a set of those for my car.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

John,

Regards, John McGraw
Thanks John. I'll try to come up with some intelligent questions.

Originally Posted by Duntov-097

Wow ! That car is beautiful. What size wheels and tires did you use ? I really want a set of those for my car.
Makes me want to trade in my C2 for a C1
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Duntov-097. They are 16x7. Made by PS eng. in Calif. They can be true knock off's or bolt on like these. Im' sure you know they are a copy of a Halibrand kidny bean wheel. Phil only dose vintage race car wheels. He made all the wheels for the two Grand Sports I built. They where true knock off's. If you need his number let me know. Brian G.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Phil made the Halibrand-replica knock-off wheels for my Grand Sport too; (310) 534-4477.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

John,

Regards, John McGraw
............. O K, so today are your feelings the same, what is available today, what chassis would you use for a 62?
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've ridden in a couple of Mike Coletta's C1 restomods (and driven one) atop Billy Dawson chassis and I won't do it any more...they make my original C1 feel like I'm riding a tractor.

If it were me that's how I'd go...and just might someday...
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've ridden in a couple of Mike Coletta's C1 restomods (and driven one) atop Billy Dawson chassis and I won't do it any more...they make my original C1 feel like I'm riding a tractor.

If it were me that's how I'd go...and just might someday...
I have not talked to him BUT there is one coming to a friend of mine, and the wait time is 4 mo.+

Get notified of new replies

To First long drive with SRII chassis under a C1

Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I miss our old turquoise/ turquoise 60.

…and wow this thread was brought back from the dead lol
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by solidaxel
............. O K, so today are your feelings the same, what is available today, what chassis would you use for a 62?
If I was building a C1 today, it would still be either a SRIII or Billy Dawson's frame. The 2 frames take a completely different path from each other, but the end product is still outstanding for both frames.

I still own 3 SRIII framed cars, but no C1 cars currently. I think that Billy Dawson and Mike Stockdale are two of the nicest and most helpful guys in the business, and they both will do exactly what they say they they will do.

I changed to C5 suspensions on the last few of SRIII cars that I have built, as I think that it is a better suspension. The C4 stuff is still a pretty good option.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Thank You John!
I have two 62 to build so maybe I will try both !

Quick Reply: First long drive with SRII chassis under a C1