C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone using 3M panel bonding adhesive ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Anyone using 3M panel bonding adhesive ?

I am getting ready to bond the front end on my 61 corvette. Is anyone out there using any of the 3M panel bonding adhesives.They have a panel bonding adhesive #08115 with a 90 minute work time,but I think this is for bonding fiberglass to steel. Does anyone know if it will bond fiberglass to fiberglass. I don't want to drive down the road and have the front end fall off on the first bump I hit.They also have a SMC/Fiberglass panel adhesive #08219,it is a urethane adhesive for bonding fiberglass to fiberglass or metal with a 30 minute work time.I would prefer to use the adhesive with the longer work time but only if it will do the job. I appreciate help from anyone that has used either of these products. Thanks, Bob
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3M Bonding Adhesive

Bob,
I used the 3M adhesive to glue a top surround onto a '63. I have to say that 90 minute window beats the heck out of 15-20 minutes. For someone that doesn't do this kinda work on a daily basis it lowers the stress level WAY down.
The stuff is a little pricey(30-35/ double tube) & here's the kicker: At the time I did it (3 years ago) the tubes would only work with 3m's gun.
The gun listed for 325. Fortunately, I was able to borrow one from a friend.
For the purists this might not be the right stuff, cause it has a glossy sheen to it after it cures. (not good for judging).
After trial fitting the surround 5-10 times, two of us were able to glue it on with quite a few minutes to spare.
Not long after I did the '63, Norton (sandpaper co.) came out with what sounds like almost an identical product at a little more than half the price & I believe you can use just about any gun to apply it.
Hope this helps, Bob L.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I purchased my kit car as I call it, it came with a new front clip, it looked like the ones that run about $4000. The body shop I went with used a product that has beads in the adhesive. They explained to me that this gave the proper thickness to the glueing of the points of contact. This is important because when you clamp the two surfaces togeather you can squeeze to much of the adhesive out and not get a strong bond. I heard of a old trick to get the same effect by using wielding rod to get the right thickness.
Dennis
Old 09-12-2006, 09:03 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

OCS1667, that sounds like the Fusor product by Lord. I've used their #127EZ to bond on the underhood brace. Am planning to use the same product to glue on a new front clip on a '66. The working time is about a hour, which surely beats the 5 min. time on most of the Corvette bonding adhesives.

PS: I must have a good paint shop supplier, because they are always kind enough to loan me one of those special guns needed for these products.

Ralph.

Last edited by rponfick; 09-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bonding panel spacing

Dennis has a good point. I used 1/2 inch squares cut out of an old pc. of 'glas fender. I sanded both sides to clean them & also to keep the outside surface of the panel level. They ranged in thickness from 1/16 to 1/8 inch.
BTW, I found that glueing the front end on was much easier than the top surround, less surfaces to grind & glue & it took considerably less time.
Good Luck! Bob L.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using 3M panel bonding adhesive ?

Quick Reply: Anyone using 3M panel bonding adhesive ?