C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overhaulin

Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Troy.Blackburn
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.
I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did in see the right show ???????
Old 09-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by comp
So did in see the right show ???????

I see don't know I ?????
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
I'm not suggesting your opinion is any less valuable than anyone else... I however am glad that Courtney is gone. Now I just wish she would leave the Spike TV Powerblock. Just my .02

Troy
as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original pictures (and before and after shots) show no rear exhaust outlets in the body; they were probably closed up years ago when Dad was racing. I thought it was pretty nifty for Chip to take that 57 rear and throw a lot of 53-5 in it. Same with the front. The color combo looked spectacular to me (even if the white/silver was the original combo of my 57!). I was also curious as to why the 3x2 setup morphed into a 2x4 and (since I taped it) stopped the tape to show my wife that a "57" chassis with a 6-banger didn't sound right to me. My theory is the spare chassis was a 54 and that's possibly where some of Chip's ideas and parts came from.

I like Chip's work. "American Hot Rod" is a study in complaints and pissin and moanin; I'd never even take YOUR rusty bumpers to Boyd's shop!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
Also when people go out to my home-shop to see what I am working on my wife likes to point out how ungodly slow my progress is especially when compared to "Overhaulin". I gave up trying to explain to her that with the large crew and the man hours that those guys are logging, I am getting my work done in a reasonable time with a lot less drama.-Jim
I second that! I also like to remind the other half that when she is complaining it takes six weeks for me to do one thing that I got to work 1 hour every two weeks on it.

If I got 40 hours a week, it would be a lot faster. Maybe.

I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.
Well, honey since your off could you do this for me......
Old 09-23-2006, 10:23 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

Wowzer....!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenmo

Wowzer....!!!!
UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna

Last edited by Johns_65Vette; 09-23-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna
Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
I see don't know I ?????
Old 09-25-2006, 01:47 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I liked the end product - thought the color was very sharp.

I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.

TLC - seems like the Learning aspect is taking a back seat.

- Jon
I just watched the episode... I agree, the Learning part has been regulated to the back seat.

I enjoy the show enough, but they are constantly marketing the show throughout with these inane little quotes "you are about to be overhauled" or "this is for you, _____!" It's ignorant.

Carl seems like a great guy, and the car looked fabulous, I just wish they had removed 10 minutes of the repetitive filler with 10 minutes on how they fixed the body. My, that woulda been useful.

I do like the colour combo, that true blue on silver looks HOT.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:57 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy

I wonder if the shows producers set up these "impossible" deadlines for the drama. I mean if it your car... would you rather have it on time or done right?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!

Originally Posted by Loren59
Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67

Thanks! I like the color combo!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:16 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BarryK
something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.
the top of the body overhands the side of the frame by at least 1.5 inches. In my case, I wanted to go with a bigger tire. it means a light tub job just like they did on the show. remember they can play with back spacing right up until the tire starts to rub someplace and that someplace will be the side of the inner body.

Wider tires can be put on if you want to adjust the frame and then also adjust the body even more, but there is a point after 1-2 inches of moving the wheel well in that you will not be able to use the soft top as it retracts in to the area as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Overhaulin

Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Herb
that pic helps explain somewhat on the body/frame relationship, but what about the stock suspension componets - that's what I was looking at while I was at my painters shop.It just didn't look as if you could bring a wider wheel in that far that would require tubbing the body and not hit the suspension or leafspring unless I just wasn't looking at it right.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Default Overlaulin'

Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. Glenn
Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. Glenn
Of course those paint shops probably have heated booths to help them out with curing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhaulin