C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

belt and pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 PM
NOXQSAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default belt and pulley question

Can anybody tell me the correct belt and pulley set up for a 1965 327-350 hp without a/c, ps, or pb. I currently have a single belt. I was told when I went to purchase a replacement, that I needed a seperate belt for the alt and another to the water pump. The pulley on my water pump is single groove pulley, I guess is incorrect?

thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this help?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NOXQSAZ
Can anybody tell me the correct belt and pulley set up for a 1965 327-350 hp without a/c, ps, or pb. I currently have a single belt. I was told when I went to purchase a replacement, that I needed a seperate belt for the alt and another to the water pump. The pulley on my water pump is single groove pulley, I guess is incorrect?

thanks
gonna have to ask you if you are missing your idler pulley assembly, not all that uncommon. Double groove pulleys on that crank and water pump for the SHPs in 65, outside belt runs over alt, crank and pump pulleys, inside belt runs over idler, crank and pump pulleys - there is a fairly good drawing on page 20 of Paragon's catalog, upper right hand corner that should give you an idea:

http://www.corvette-paragon.com/memb...ads/v31-c2.pdf
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

actually, the best way to run a second belt if you have double groove fan and crank pulleys and no idler is to get the proper length belt that just fits tightly around just the 2 pulleys.

i sure someone might know the exact length belt, so it becomes a trial and error thing if you don't; but, after you determine the proper belt length, you loosen the bolts that hold the fan hub to the water pump enough to **** the pulley and allow you to slip the belt into the corresponding crank and water pump grooves. then tighten the fan bolts and the fan pulley will straighten and the belt will be tensioned. viola....no more worries about losing the alternator belt and then losing the fan.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To belt and pulley question

Quick Reply: belt and pulley question