C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body Off Restoration Costs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Mcsorley Fan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Off Restoration Costs

Okay....I am at a cross roads where I need some feed back / opinions. I have my 58 vette as you can see in my Avatar. It currently looks just like it on the pic. Which is not bad. I have done some work to it (rewiring the entire car, new harnesses, exhayustsystem, and mechanical work). But should I just do the thing right and do a body off restoration??? Or just keep doing little things to it?

Another question is how much does it cost normally to do a body off resto? Since i dont have the time...I would have someone do it for me. Jeff Reade maybe.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcsorley Fan
Okay....I am at a cross roads where I need some feed back / opinions. I have my 58 vette as you can see in my Avatar. It currently looks just like it on the pic. Which is not bad. I have done some work to it (rewiring the entire car, new harnesses, exhayustsystem, and mechanical work). But should I just do the thing right and do a body off restoration??? Or just keep doing little things to it?

Another question is how much does it cost normally to do a body off resto? Since i dont have the time...I would have someone do it for me. Jeff Reade maybe.

Thanks
Does it need a body off resto? Are you taking it to Bloomington or NCRS shows? Will it be a driver? Trailer queen
Are you so in love with it that you will keep it forever? Is the chassis rotted out? I think you can see where this is going. It all depends on your intent with the car. I have done a lot of body off restorations. I like doing them and I like the end result. I drive them after they are done though. No trailers for me.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcsorley Fan

Thanks
As Ken mentioned, you have to decide on your goal for the car and go from there. If you have a shop do a body-off, you can usually figure on 800-1000 hours of labor plus parts as a starting point - with shop rates at $65-$85 per hour, it can get pretty pricey. If you do it yourself at home, you'll tie up the garage completely for at least two years, you'll have parts stored everywhere, the work you farm out that doesn't get done right or on time will drive you crazy and generate more delays, it will cost 2-1/2 times what you estimated, and you have to stay motivated by having a plan and sticking to it, with defined steps you can check off when completed so you can show definite progress toward your goal.

If you don't approach it as a documented project management exercise, you'll wind up with piles of parts everywhere, no apparent progress, an empty bank account, and a wife who's tired of parking outdoors for three years and finally tells you to "get that pile of crap out of the garage". That's how "projects in boxes" are born on eBay.

I've done seven of them at home in the last 30+ years, but I knew the rules and followed a plan for each one; you have to know what you're getting into.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

if you decide to do it - Jeff Reade did my motor - great choice.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

I am doing my 66 myself "all but" the bodywork, motor, paint and frame powdercoating...so far i have about $10,000.00 into it and the body is just now getting work done on it...i did buy alot of parts that i will use which is included in the $$$ above....
body work "estimate" $12,000 plus or minus a grand to put it back to orginal shape...all 4 fenders were flared and nose damage...
Name:  IMG_0606.jpg
Views: 11170
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0580.jpg
Views: 8623
Size:  71.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0581.jpg
Views: 8597
Size:  58.1 KB
Sometimes i wonder what i got myself into....

jack

Last edited by 66jack; 10-25-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

with John Z

I want someone to restore my 1963 Corvette....my 1963 Corvette is a "20 footer"....I am lacking some of the 3 T's (tools,time, and talent) or the big one is $$$

I think it would make it a better car and more reliable and enjoyable..I am reminded that nothing last forever (my car is "tired") I am pretty sure mine has never been off the frame before...

I think if you are looking for a "driver" restoration and your car is not in bad shape...I would say to expect to spend (easily) between 20 and 30k...

However, you might find a "few surprises" along the way....(Prior Accident poor body repair,rotted frame, bent frame, etc) All bring the price up in a hurry..(I have seen a few Corvette owners that were surprised what they found underneath the paint when the media blasted their Corvette..

If you plan on keeping it for a while.. I would do a restoration...I have been collecting parts for my Corvette for two years (Corvette parts as you know aren't "cheap" some people (Think they have GOLD) will take you for a ride or advantage of you!! I have found this forum helpful and many good honest people here!!!) ...I am (hopefully) going to be looking for someone to restore my Corvette...

I spent alot of money on it in the last two years of ownership...I can tell you there will be more money spent in the future on it..

Good luck!

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 10-25-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
ml1955
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body off costs

I agree with Ken, look at what you expect out of the car, then decide on a body off or partial cosmetic / mechanical restoration. 1000 hours at prevailing shop rates is a good starting point. So plan on $60,000 to start plus parts as needed.

Then ask yourself if the end result is worth the expenditure. Can you ever get that back if you sell? Or do you just want it perfect?

I'm doing a frame off on a '55 driver myself. I'm very realistic on what the car can be given it's past care from previous owners. So by doing it myself, I can get it closer to correct at a reasonable cost. It would never warrant the cost of a professional restoration, given the number of non-original, reproduction parts I have had to buy to replace missing parts.

Cost vs. Value.

Last edited by ml1955; 10-25-2006 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-25-2006, 05:16 PM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Do the restoration if you:

1. Plan to keep the car
2. The money is expendable cash
3. It makes you happy

Don't do it if:

1. You're not sure if you will keep the car
2. Are on a financial tightrope
3. Expect to make your money back (with the exception of certain vehicles such as 427/435 etc.)

Finally,

If you are going to be afraid to drive it when your done - WHY BOTHER?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crw41
Do the restoration if you:

1. Plan to keep the car
2. The money is expendable cash
3. It makes you happy

Don't do it if:

1. You're not sure if you will keep the car
2. Are on a financial tightrope
3. Expect to make your money back (with the exception of certain vehicles such as 427/435 etc.)

Finally,

If you are going to be afraid to drive it when your done - WHY BOTHER?
That is a pretty succinct list.
I had some expendable cash and considered the same way. I didn't know what condition everything was in but knew I needed $5-$8K. So I asked myself, "Self...Would you be devastated if the car cost $20k to complete?"

Then I answered myself. If I got into it, I have a terrible time just peace-mealing things together, I hate that. So I decided that it was all or nothing. I also discussed this with my wife who was very encouraging. I explained to her that I wasn't starting it unless I could finish it the correct way and that meant putting what ever funds into it I needed. So WE determined that cost would not be an issue.

I guesstimate that I have $13-$14K in it now, and it will require another $3K to complete, (not counting paint, which isn't to bad). The wife still wants me to paint it next year though. I have a notebook full of receipts that I will not add until I'm done. I have done all the work myself except for powdercoating and a crate engine. I am ready for the body drop and then finish wiring, cluster, carpet , and seats. Glad I did it, and am not looking back!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

when I decided in 2004 to do "body-off" on my 1963 Z06, knew I didn't have tools/space to do myself - worked with Tony Avedisian of Tony's Corvette and 1200 hours later, LADY was complete - we went through everything, except the body - still has original paint - cost with all parts/labor - $57.000
Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 PM
61 Silver
Racer

I restored my 63 SWC and did everything at home except for the engine machining, differential rebuild and the rear wheel bearings. The 63 has been restored to as it left the factory or to meet NCRS judging standards. I have a few more Items to secure and it will have all the correct date coded components. I have $26,000 in restoration and parts and this included a replacement frame ($4200.00). I did recoup some money by selling removed parts that came with the car.

Looking for a set of 63 horns Delco #9000455 low and #9000456 high. Very hard to find.

Ray
Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 AM
noisy_mouse
Instructor

Hi,
I have a quick question regarding the cost of restoration if I ask the shop to do the job.
Let's say frame is very rusty, but other parts (engine, transmission, suspension, interior, body) are all good enough to reuse it. So basically, replacing frame only. Does this still cost pretty much the same labor cost as full frame-off resto ?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JohnZ
As Ken mentioned, you have to decide on your goal for the car and go from there. If you have a shop do a body-off, you can usually figure on 800-1000 hours of labor plus parts as a starting point - with shop rates at $65-$85 per hour, it can get pretty pricey. If you do it yourself at home, you'll tie up the garage completely for at least two years, you'll have parts stored everywhere, the work you farm out that doesn't get done right or on time will drive you crazy and generate more delays, it will cost 2-1/2 times what you estimated, and you have to stay motivated by having a plan and sticking to it, with defined steps you can check off when completed so you can show definite progress toward your goal.

If you don't approach it as a documented project management exercise, you'll wind up with piles of parts everywhere, no apparent progress, an empty bank account, and a wife who's tired of parking outdoors for three years and finally tells you to "get that pile of crap out of the garage". That's how "projects in boxes" are born on eBay.

I've done seven of them at home in the last 30+ years, but I knew the rules and followed a plan for each one; you have to know what you're getting into.

I agree 101%.....3 reasons "projects in boxes" turn up....

1. run out of money - when you are doing these things you find your self being really about about "while I am at it" and these $100 at a time turn into $1000 at a time and before you know you have blown your budget all to pieces. If you have deep pockets, then it is no problem, but for someone on a budget it can spell end of project.

2. takes too long - these things just don't flip over night. In the late winter I will be going at this for one year. This is my first and I have to admit I really enjoy what I am doing. I don't always know what I am doing (translation - I am spending more that I would otherwise because of the mistakes I make). My better 1/2 for the longest time didn't think the car was ever going back together again. I figure I have so much money tied up in it, there is no option for it not to go back together. Keep marching forward is my motto. Bottom line, people loose interest. Youhave to have a goal. My goal is to make the Hot Rod Power Tour by june 2nd leaving out of Cleveland....that makes me wonder how much of the car will really be complete and ready to go!

3. run out of talent - It is easy to get this stuff apart, but after you got this huge pile of parts in front of you, you have to put them back together and somehow this thing needs to be safe and stop again. now isn't that just going to be the challenge!

So there ya go. I am way in over my head and I am spending like nobodies business. John quote $65 to $85 per hour. I am spending $60 per hour for the body shop to do my body. When all is said and done there will be about 400 hours in the body and another $1000 or so worth of supplies....this stuff adds up in a hurry. Oh yeah, don't think you can just decided that you want to do this today and can they get started tomorrow....I was lucky, I found a shop that had a hole in their schedule and I was ready to go. No hole, then be prepared to wait 6 months or more to get in with your first choice!

Good luck....I am glad I did this.....but you have to be prepared to surpass the BOAT motto, Bring Out Another Thousand....many more!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:59 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by noisy_mouse
Hi,
I have a quick question regarding the cost of restoration if I ask the shop to do the job.
Let's say frame is very rusty, but other parts (engine, transmission, suspension, interior, body) are all good enough to reuse it. So basically, replacing frame only. Does this still cost pretty much the same labor cost as full frame-off resto ?
yup...same parts needing to be taken off, refurbished and replaced. The replacement frame for all intents and purposes is exactly like the other frame except you had to buy this one in addition to the purchase of the one that was rotten underneath the car!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 AM
WYRoger
Cruising

I would first like to thank everyone who does the forum for posting their thought and ideas. It is great reading!
I also have a 65, L-76, Glen Green Roadster. I just don't know what to do, a restoration project or just leave it alone. It smokes a little and drips a little oil but no big deal. My car is so orginial that I am almost afraid to do anything with it but I want it to be a driver. I have seen where a person starts down this restoration road and it is the "never ending story", they replace almost everything then they don't drive it no more. This is a tough question.
Thanks, Roger
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default vett resto

One point to remember. Buying your own parts and then taking them to a resto shop to save money. That will only help if you know every nut and bolt you are going to need. Because somebody has to stand there and figure out what you've given them what can be reused/ but as to cost to restore original or cheaper to buy aftermarket? If you're going NCRS or good correct appearing original driver?
Decide exactly which direction you are headed and stay the course.
This will give you piece of mind to know what you are getting and what you can expect at the completion.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 AM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

Default money

i started a frame off resto for a customer that chased me for 2 years i told him i was way backed up did not want to do it or have time he kept pushing the issue finnally the lore of money gave in he said he inherrited 800tho so money wasn;t a problem car is in the shop now he got eastimates for 30 to 40 tho to do his car i told him it would be between 50/60 its almost done know and i;m trying like hell to keep it under 60 but i proberly woun;t be able to do it some time things are not in my control like paint conv top and prices of replacement parts cars are going up in value so everyone is jumping on the wagon to make more money from rechromers to the people that sell bodyshop material just my opion but what ever you deside remember it will be a lot more if not double remember the kit cars are going over a 100 to do so an original will be more now hate to be the one that said told you but these are the facts

Get notified of new replies

To Body Off Restoration Costs

Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 AM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Great thread - seems to me that 90% of this stuff is relevant no matter what year of Corvette you are restoring ...
Old 12-22-2006, 07:35 AM
jpaul
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned my 59 for 40 years, since high school now its mainly a driver but the Michigan winters have destroyed the frame. I have been rolling around the cost of replacing the frame & suspension which I would have done by a shop and doing the rest myself. Just cant decide when to start, it may be my retirement project
Old 12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

to give you a ballpark figure - when I did bodyoff restoration on my 1963 in 2004 - $56000 and that did NOT include a paint job

Quick Reply: Body Off Restoration Costs