C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Odometer and Trip Odometer Stopped Working??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odometer and Trip Odometer Stopped Working??

The odometer and trip odometer stoped working a while back. Can I repair this without removing the speedometer/etc or do I need to send the cluster out?? This happened after I installed the trip odometer reset cable. I was told by someone that those cables "cause" this type of problem on a regular basis. Does anyone know if that is true or not? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My 66 is the same way. I am going to pull the cluster and go for the restoration. I don't think you will be able to repair the tripo and odo without taking the cluster out.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2006, 04:08 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must come out. Cable has nothing to do with your problem. And no, you can't fix it yourself.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67BETE
The odometer and trip odometer stoped working a while back. Can I repair this without removing the speedometer/etc or do I need to send the cluster out?? This happened after I installed the trip odometer reset cable. I was told by someone that those cables "cause" this type of problem on a regular basis. Does anyone know if that is true or not? Thanks.
After you take it out and have it repaired, don't ever reset it again. The system is really poor and reseting it while driving will screw it up again. I speak from experience, unfortunately.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i had my cluster redone by jason. 2900 miles later, they stopped working. so i don't know if it's worth fixing???
Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
vark_wso
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Kirk

I go one step further than KenE -- after your odometer & trip wheel repairs and your cluster R&R adventure, recommend you take the unreliable trip function out of the equation by fabricating a small 'Z' bracket. Attach to the RH leg of the U-bolt & below the steering gear support bracket. Make the bends in order to position the other leg of the 'Z' to push up fully on the reset ****. This leaves the fragile trip function disabled -- reducing the load on the gear train -- but the odometer & speedometer still work fine.

Photo shows my trip wheels at 999.9 where they stay while the odometer still counts in 1 mile increments.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 64tux
i had my cluster redone by jason. 2900 miles later, they stopped working. so i don't know if it's worth fixing???
Thats why there are so many low mileage C2s. Mine quit at least 100,000 mi ago in 1978.

Tyler
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM
65coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by 67BETE
I bought a rebuilt speedometer and reset miles to my old one. I will keep my original dated one for the day I take out the entire cluster which I don't anticipate doing for a long time. If your cluster is in pretty good shape, that's what I would do.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vark_wso
Kirk

I go one step further than KenE -- after your odometer & trip wheel repairs and your cluster R&R adventure, recommend you take the unreliable trip function out of the equation by fabricating a small 'Z' bracket. Attach to the RH leg of the U-bolt & below the steering gear support bracket. Make the bends in order to position the other leg of the 'Z' to push up fully on the reset ****. This leaves the fragile trip function disabled -- reducing the load on the gear train -- but the odometer & speedometer still work fine.

Photo shows my trip wheels at 999.9 where they stay while the odometer still counts in 1 mile increments.

Kirk, nice fabrication! Great idea.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vark_wso
Kirk

after your odometer & trip wheel repairs and your cluster R&R adventure, recommend you take the unreliable trip function out of the equation by fabricating a small 'Z' bracket.

I also permanently disabled mine.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM
jackhays
Racer

Default What's the difference

What is the difference if you use the Z bracket or leave the cable out entirely?
I'm installing my cluster now and just thought of leaving it out.
TIA.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

With the cable out, the tripmeter is still engaged, driving the trip miles. By leaving the cable in with the z bracket, the cable is pushed in, disabling the tripmeter.

Get notified of new replies

To Odometer and Trip Odometer Stopped Working??

Quick Reply: Odometer and Trip Odometer Stopped Working??