C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Questions on New Corvette Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Questions on New Corvette Project

After the 2006 Corvette Weekend in Eureka Springs AR, and falling in love with Jeff's (silverslashstreak) 63 Resto Rod, I am excited about a new Corvette Project that I am undertaking, starting this winter and would like to ask the Forum a few questions.

I am new to the 63-67 "Mid Year" Vette, but have owned Corvettes since I was 18. When my dad was in his mid 20's he had a 67 427 Coupe, and I would like to re-create that car for him.......with a little twist Dad is now 70, but is really interested in this project also! So at least I will get a little help!

I have done successful Resto Rods conversions so far to a 70 Chevelle SS, and also a 68 Camaro, and would like to build this car for him and I to keep! This 67 will have a 07 LS7 427 and a T56 Transmission (even though it has been done before) on a Chassis with C4 Suspension.

My 2 Questions at this time are:

#1. Who should I have build the Chassis?? So far I have talked with Newman / Car Creations and Street Shop. I already have a 1995 C4 that was wrecked in the front, but the suspension is all usable for the project. Any opinions or experience with these 2 or anyone else, please post that experience.

#2. I need a body, and also a Title....I guess?? Since I am doing the resto rod, I am not concerned at all about factory options, big blocks, origional, numbers matching, etc, etc. Can I find just a body and a title somewhere?? Should I look for a car with a bad or damaged frame?? Do I have to have a title in order for it to be registered?? Where to look for such a thing??? I can do everything except for the body work, so I will take my body guy / painter with me before I buy anything. I would also like to do the Flared Fenders and Quarter Pannels, so any advice on those would be appreciated as well!!!

Thanks again...Corvette Forum for all the help in the past, and I look forward to becoming a member of the C2 "Mid Year" Community!!!

Last edited by BgBoost1; 11-06-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great project ! If you are not hung up on a real 1967. You can buy another midyear coupe and add the '67 side grills and hood.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Grey Ghost - I was wondering if that was the only difference. It seems that the 64 and 65 Cars are a lot more affordable!!!! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

look up 1COOLC2 on this forum. He's doing exactly what you are thinking of.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
Grey Ghost - I was wondering if that was the only difference. It seems that the 64 and 65 Cars are a lot more affordable!!!! Thanks!
Other subtle changes which may or may not be significant to your project:

The 67 had a backup light in the body above the license plate, where as the earlier C2s had optional backup lights in the in-board tail-light locations.

The 66 and 67 had no vents between the rear window and the doors (on the coupes) where as the 63, 64, 65 had some sort of vent (fake or otherwise) there.

67 had the parking brake handle in the console between the seats, the rest had the parking brake handle under the dash
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

I basically have the same project but for a 1966 convertible. I bought the shell and some other parts for $5500 3 years ago and then purchased a Jamison's tube frame to run C4 suspension and brake components. My car had a VIN but no trim tag and I do hold a clear title to it. If you get a body without a VIN, your state may issue you a new VIN number, probably a Kit Car VIN of some sort. In that case don't expect your car to be worth as much as one with a true Corvette VIN, resto-rod or not - if that matters to you.

When looking for a body to use on your sleeper resto-rod make sure you inspect the birdcage for signs of rust. Some repairs can be easily taken care of, others will force you to spend major $$$$ and/or time before you can start to put panels on. Do a search for Birdcage/Rust here and make sure you search the archives. Ask me why I know that.

If you are going to flare fenders and such then you can get really any year body style and make it look like a 1967. The major visible differences between the 67 and the rest of the midyears is the rear panel with the reverse light location, the 5-gill side panel, the big block stinger hood and the emergency brake handle location. There are differences between the 63 and 64 gauges as well.

Good luck with your project, keep us updated.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Tossin, I will check him out! 62Jeff, Thanks for the information on the differences, I think that I will look for a 64 or 65 due to the $$$$$

Islander21 - Thanks for that info. I would like to retain the Corvette VIN, just for personal gratification...... I have heard a lot about the "Bird Cage" and what to look for, but will probably take an "expert" with me when I find the perfect car! I will also try a search to see what all to look for!!

I also just stumbled across SRIII Motorsports, does anyone have any experience with their stuff??? Looks nice on the website!

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

For experiences with the SRIII frame do a search on John McGraw or Rich Lagasse. As far as the birdcage rust goes it's not really that difficult to become an expert at finding the rust spots and figuring out if the car is a keeper - it's fixing them after the fact if you didn't do your homework to begin with.

In my case the rust was not that bad and I did not have to severely cut up the body to fix it. I took the deal.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
Tossin, I will check him out! 62Jeff, Thanks for the information on the differences, I think that I will look for a 64 or 65 due to the $$$$$

Islander21 - Thanks for that info. I would like to retain the Corvette VIN, just for personal gratification...... I have heard a lot about the "Bird Cage" and what to look for, but will probably take an "expert" with me when I find the perfect car! I will also try a search to see what all to look for!!

I also just stumbled across SRIII Motorsports, does anyone have any experience with their stuff??? Looks nice on the website!

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!!
Bg,
There are many threads in the archives on the subject of building restorods and associated suppliers of frames. Do an archive search on SRIII, Newman, restorods, etc. Here is one example of what you can find in the archives:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=SRIII
Old 11-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save yourself the time & trouble and buy my car. It's the ultimate resto-rod.

http://www.lateral-g.net/sidelnyk/
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

http://www.hitekhotrods.com/products/hitekbodies.htm

Be sure to scroll down....'67 body coming soon.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:11 PM
6T5C2
Racer

Not mine, but if this helps there is a 65 body on ebay right now with no reserve. Might be what you're looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...45271663QQrdZ1
Old 11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Excellent Information everyone....Thanks for the Help!!!

stingrayl76 - Thank You!

Mecom Racer - You are not kidding...That is AMAZING WORK!!! Just for S&G how much are you asking?

ratpack1968 - Looks good, but I would hate to be the Guinea Pig.

6T5C2 - Exactly what I have been looking for!! Now I just need someone from the state of MO to call me back about the issues I am going to have trying to title it!

Thanks again everyone for the information!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey BG Boost, take a look on ebay in the 1964 corvette section, there is a street shop chassis and lsi engine and T56 tranny with a 1964 body on a rotissiere (check that spelling) with a buy it now of 20000. The guy says he is in money trouble. It looks like a good start for the money.

Isn't that Eureka Springs show alota fun!!!!!!!

Jeff
Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just checked and that street shop chassis and 64 vert went off this afternoon for 19895.00.

Jeff
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Art Morrison Chassis
Z06 505HP
6 Speed
63 SWC
Dutchman Axles IRS Ford 9" Chrome

That is what I consider my next project when the '60 is done.......

Here is the Dutchman IRS

Now that axle is SEXY!!!! Also pricey...about $10-12K
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Jvmc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mecom Racer
Save yourself the time & trouble and buy my car. It's the ultimate resto-rod.

http://www.lateral-g.net/sidelnyk/

If there is some added material, hence the subject in the photo at the air strip, I'll send you a blank check + the cost of shipping

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on New Corvette Project

Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

Check out these frames. Much less expensive than a tube frame.

I like the stainless, set up for C4 suspension...

http://www.colliertechnologies.com/

Last edited by Rimcrew; 11-07-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tossin
look up 1COOLC2 on this forum. He's doing exactly what you are thinking of.
BG Boost1,
Rich Lagasse, John McGraw and myself are all using SRIII chassis's. I don't think you can wrong with any of the frames you mentioned, they are all good products.

As Tossin mentioned, I am using an LS7 crate engine with a T56 in my project.

There have been many successful LS7 transplants with good results and there are no shortage of vendors to support that route if that is what you choose. The LS7 is a little more involved than a LS1/2 or LS6 engine due to dry sump requirements and unique exhaust ports.

Lots of good help here on the forum in regards to what look for when searching for a body/car. Rich Lagasse has written some excellent articles on building a Resto rod, definitely worth the time to read. Best of luck with your quest and always feel free to ask questions.....that's what I do

You could always take Mecoms offer and buy his car, it's an awesome ride that has some special power over hot woman! Add your LS7 and whala... your done!
R/Jeff
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1coolC2

You could always take Mecoms offer and buy his car, it's an awesome ride that has some special power over hot woman! Add your LS7 and whala... your done!
R/Jeff
I offered to buy his car as long as the helmet holder he had came with it......I guess we couldn't make a deal......I had cash, but only if the helmet holder came with it.....

Quick Reply: Questions on New Corvette Project