C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

427 Mystery Motor History

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Definition of mystery!

Anything that the general public can't get!

PS Yet!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-17-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Yet!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Could it be Mickey Thompson? Dennis
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Looks like the engine has a magneto.....................perhaps a Vertex or Joe Hunt. I am surprised that a mag would be allowed in that type of racing back in 1963.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Another 6 year old thread back from the grave
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, and your point???????????
It's always good to obtain ANY additional information, OR, provide information for those who are not familiar with past engineering efforts.

AND, by the way, an owner of a 62 Chevy (full size) with alum sheet metal is supposed to call me and provide some historical information (as he knows it) about the handful of 62 Chevys with alum panels.
I find any and all information regarding these early day, low volume performance cars VERY interesting. OH, guess what, there WERE other high perf Chevrolet products built besides Corvettes.

Tom Parsons
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldskydog
Location of the dipstick is NOT a reliable indicator of 348 vs 409 engine.
The dipstick was on the drivers side on 348 CAR engines, but was on the passenger side on 348 TRUCK engines since the 348 truck engine used the same pan as the 409 truck engine.
BINGO!!!!!
I was just getting ready to point this out!

Here is a 348, built into a 427 by the machinist that I use for all my engines-----------------he's done LOTS of tricks to this motor---------------------ESPECIALLY the tripower setup! This is going in his 58 Cameo. The block, heads, and tripower manifold have 58 casting dates and it has a TRUCK pan.

Tom Parsons
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Looks like the engine has a magneto.....................perhaps a Vertex or Joe Hunt. I am surprised that a mag would be allowed in that type of racing back in 1963.
The Daytona American Challenge race was a pretty much a race what you have race. It had to be a production car with the same manufacturer engine not to exceed 428 cubic inches and a few other rules. This is a picture of the Winning Tempest that sported a 421 CI engine...

Last edited by Bill Lacy; 10-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Oh boy - a skunk works 401 Buick nailhead. I bet that shook them up at the stoplight grand prix.
Bored and stroked to 479 CI

Parked in 1968 after turning 2 rod bearings street racing a BB Corvette:
http://deliquescence.net/~tyler/buick/FF05_Before.jpg

Rescued/Restored 2002:
http://deliquescence.net/~tyler/buick/FF11_After.jpg

Unfortunately some of the documentation and timing slips burned in a house fire. Raced in earnest 25 times lost only once then parked. Raced Oldsmar and East Tampa dragway in 66-67.

Tom I know Ken turned up a lot of info (work orders etc) on Johns SR1 and the 66 L-88 engines, has he done any looking for the same type info on these engines?, if not maybe you can get him interested in looking since he has the access.

Tyler
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

You could not walk into a dealer and order the Z-11 copo option, it took special connections with GM. A friend was able to get one, Billy Lagana (his brother is Bobby Lagana who's two sons Bobby Jr and Dominick run current top fuel). He took delivery at Tarrytown (although I don't think assembled there). He took out a car loan and had a payment of something like $80 a month !. The car ran consistent 11,8s, sometimes a little slower, sometimes faster, but only had 7" tires (the rules at the time). I don't know the relation of that motor and the other 427 being discussed, but I do recall back then everyone saying the Z-11 had the mystery 427. He eventually sold the car and bought one of the Ford 427 Falcons which were popular A/FX car of the time. He sold the car to a guy named Ed Robbins who sold his toy train collection to buy the car. He had Jenkins do the tuning. At one point he blew the engine then sold the car for next to nothing. It appeared a few years ago down in Florida with it restored and claiming it had the original 427 in it. The guy later clairifed it was a replacement correct engine (I guess too many knew the original one was junk and thrown in a river!). The car was called "Locomotion" Later these cars would run mid to lower 11's once they began to use larger tires.,
Old 10-18-2012, 11:35 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
You could not walk into a dealer and order the Z-11 copo option, it took special connections with GM.
Don't know about the connections. I do know that in the spring of 1963in Gary, Indiana, a guy named "Karras" showed up almost every evening at Sammy's Drive-In in his new Z-11, red Impala.

The Chevys parked on one side of the building and the Mopars on the other. If you had a Ford, you parked over in the rocked part of the lot.

Anyway, he had no engine in the car for at least three months but he'd come almost every evening, being towed in with a chain. Park the car and just sit there until closing time.

Maybe one of you northern Hoosiers remember this guy?

Z-11 engines and parts were easy to get. They stayed in the parts books for quite awhile. Same with many of the body parts.

A little off-topic. How many of you guys know about the complete OTC factory kit to put a FI 327/360 engine, BW T-10, traction bars, exhaust and all the other stuff to install the engine in a first generation Chevy II?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vipermike
Does anybody know what happened to KyleDallas? When he first joined he was very active and seemed to have a deep interest in Chevy racing engine history, then he disappeared almost overnight. Did anyone ever talk to him or know why he left?
no, but his personal mission was to drive Duke Williams off the board, for some reason known only to him, once Duke was gone, Dallas disappeared.

Doug
Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lacy
The Daytona American Challenge race was a pretty much a race what you have race. It had to be a production car with the same manufacturer engine not to exceed 428 cubic inches and a few other rules. This is a picture of the Winning Tempest that sported a 421 CI engine. It is followed by the 2 Mystery Motored Corvettes..
Bill, Both of those Corvettes are 1963 Z06 corvettes. The ONLY 427 was #3. As mentioned, there was rain (as you can see in the pictures) and there were small "inspection holes" (with flaps) cut in the front inner fenders so the driver could check the wear of the front tires on the banking. However, with the rain, the engine/exhaust turned the spray to fog/mist which coated the inside of the windshield, meaning no vision Here is a little better picture...

This is the 427 below (note the spray)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 10-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are correct I pulled the wrong picture.

Bill, Both of those Corvettes are 1963 Z06 corvettes. The ONLY 427 was #3. As mentioned, there was rain (as you can see in the pictures) and there were small "inspection holes" (with flaps) cut in the front inner fenders so the driver could check the wear of the front tires on the banking. However, with the rain, the engine/exhaust turned the spray to fog/mist which coated the inside of the windshield, meaning no vision Here is a little better picture...

This is the 427 below (note the spray)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
oldskydog
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
BINGO!!!!!
I was just getting ready to point this out!

Here is a 348, built into a 427 by the machinist that I use for all my engines-----------------he's done LOTS of tricks to this motor---------------------ESPECIALLY the tripower setup! This is going in his 58 Cameo. The block, heads, and tripower manifold have 58 casting dates and it has a TRUCK pan.

Tom Parsons
Nice engine, Tom.
What can you tell me about the carbs installation? I thought about using the Corvette carbs on my 409 with 348 3x2 intake, but didn't think there was enough spacing to fit the carbs on the intake.
BTW, you shoud join us over on the 348-409.com forum, a bunch of great guys there.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
. I don't know the relation of that motor and the other 427 being discussed, but I do recall back then everyone saying the Z-11 had the mystery 427.
Two different engines - the Z-11 was a "W"-block (like the 348/409), and the "Mystery Motor" was the forerunner of the Mark IV big-block.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Two different engines - the Z-11 was a "W"-block (like the 348/409), and the "Mystery Motor" was the forerunner of the Mark IV big-block.
I understand that John. I was relating what the Z-11 engine was called backin '63. It was called (although incorrectly) the Mystery Motor, this was even by those who owned the cars - go figure !
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
AND THAT IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!
This is a prime example of the sort of thing that just drives me up a tree with MANY automotive journalists. Many of them seem to write articles just to see their work in print, and they are NOT knowledgeable of their subject material. Or, they just do not proof read their own material before submitting it for publication. Or, they just DO NOT know what they are writting about, either because they are piggy backing off of some other person's lack of knowledge. Or, they just DO NOT bother to do adequate research about the material because they THINK they are omniscient (all knowing------------I rarely have an opportunity to use these big words ). As a result, people who are interested in learning, read this misinformation, and, believing it to be gospel, go out into the world making MORE incorrect statements!!!!!!!
And I could just go on and on and on and on.
Consequently, several years ago I let ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL my automotive publications expire. Not only did I get totally fed up with all the ads (some publications had become virtual catalogs), but I just got sick of the bogus crap in many of the articles.
I THOROUGHLY enjoy reading and learning from truly knowledgeable people who were there, such as John Hinkley (John Z). I REALLY wish Ken Kayser were on here ocassionally.

Tom Parsons
Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
AND THAT IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!
This is a prime example of the sort of thing that just drives me up a tree with MANY automotive journalists. Many of them seem to write articles just to see their work in print, and they are NOT knowledgeable of their subject material. Or, they just do not proof read their own material before submitting it for publication. Or, they just DO NOT know what they are writting about, either because they are piggy backing off of some other person's lack of knowledge. Or, they just DO NOT bother to do adequate research about the material because they THINK they are omniscient (all knowing------------I rarely have an opportunity to use these big words ). As a result, people who are interested in learning, read this misinformation, and, believing it to be gospel, go out into the world making MORE incorrect statements!!!!!!!
And I could just go on and on and on and on.
Consequently, several years ago I let ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL my automotive publications expire. Not only did I get totally fed up with all the ads (some publications had become virtual catalogs), but I just got sick of the bogus crap in many of the articles.
I THOROUGHLY enjoy reading and learning from truly knowledgeable people who were there, such as John Hinkley (John Z). I REALLY wish Ken Kayser were on here ocassionally.

Tom Parsons
While I agree with you, I think that you do a pretty good job on this forum yourself. After all, you do have the only ORIGINAL Air Box 400CID 1956 Fuelie, and I do enjoy ALLLLLL of your posts and comments

Last edited by 63Corvette; 10-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Mystery Motor History

Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

While I agree with you, I think that you do a pretty good job on this forum yourself. After all, you do have the only ORIGINAL 400CID 1957 Fuelie, and I do enjoy ALLLLLL of your posts and comments

Bill
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wmf62

Bill
56? Sorry......dang, that means I can't tell em apart
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
These two cars are both replicas. The picture was taken in the last two years but I can't remember where or when. I'm thinking Charlotte, last Summer.

I doubt GM was "forced" by NASCAR to give FORD a couple engines for their review as GM was not officially involved in racing in February of '63 and that policy was reitierated to the divisions in January of that year.

The '63 Daytona Sportsman race that the Mystery engined Corvette was entered in was won by Paul Goldsmith in a 421 Super Duty powered '63 Tempest owned by Ray Nichels.

The Z-11 was first a "package", released in Summer of '62. It was available over the counter as aluminum front fenders, hood, bumpers and braces and the special engine components as some have described. It was also available as a complete car in late '62. Only in the Impala, not the bubble top Bel Air, with all the special parts. The cars were about .5-.6 seconds quicker in the quarter mile than a tuned standard 409.A story that I heard in 1963 from someone who was there: In the late Fall of '62, a van box truck rolled into Indianapolis Raceway Park drag strip pits during the course of one of the last events of the year. Back doors come open and out rolls a solid white '63 Impala. The owner requested permission to make an exhibition pass down the track with the fastest RamCharger (MoPar) at the track. He would not open the hood for inspection. Permission granted and the race was on. The Impala blew the Mopar away which was no small feat, rolled it back up in the truck and left. Nobody knew who the guy was. He wouldn't say.

Was this one of the "mystery engined" cars going down South to get ready for Daytona? I've always thought so.

I think there were four teams that started the season with those engines. Ray Fox (Junior) and Smokey and two more. I believe Ray Fox was the only one that kept the engine running the whole season as parts weren't available from GM. As a matter of fact, I believe I heard that GM demanded the Mystery Engines be returned before the racing season even started but evidently nobody complied. I think I heard Junior tell that story about hiding one engine in a barn.

I'm also happy to see this thread resurrected. Mike, regarding your statements above, there is no record of any "package" of Z-11 type parts offered through service parts for racers to upgrade their 409s. It is known that individual parts were made available to some racers late in '62. Racers had to know what they were doing though. The intake valves were moved up a 1/10th of an inch on the Z-11 heads, so bolting them on a stock 409 would result in the valves shaking hands with the pistons if the reliefs weren't cut to make room for them. A lot of Z-11 heads got broken from people who tried it without knowing.
As for the aluminum fender equipped Impalas, they were delivered with stock 409hp 409 motors (no special Z-11 engine parts).

Regarding the Mystery Motors, I had the pleasure to speak with Dick Keinath several times before his passing. He was the engineer completely responsible for the development of that motor. I had also heard from a "reliable" source that 44 engines were built, but not even Dick knew for sure. The motors were in a constant state of development and he wasn't there all the time when they kept cranking them out and shipping them to racers. Dick did tell me that Ford complained to NASCAR and they forced Smokey to deliver 2 of them to Ford for testing. This was all being done without the top brass being aware of it. Dick told me it wasn't until the Feb Daytona race that they even found out about it when a reporter asked an exec about the "new" motor that was there. He replied, "what new motor?". That was when the poop hit the propeller and the plug was pulled on the program and everyone was told their job was at risk if they were caught working on them. There were several blocks and parts still in a design and test loop so it's possible some of them made it out the door or were scrapped. No one really knows for sure how many made it out. No one was counting.
Also of note is the fact that there were 2 versions of the Mystery motor. The first was the MKII which had a 396 cu in displacement. Then the MKIIs (for stroked) was built which was the most notable one at 427 cid.
Here's a pic of one of the first ones, cast in Sept. '62

This particular motor also has one of the extremely rare 2x4 intakes that were made for it. This would indicate an interest in drag racing, since NASCAR only allowed a single 4bbl.

Here is a different casting number of a motor cast in Jan '63

Here is a view of the exhaust port shape.

A view of the valve train. Notice the cast iron push rod guide plates.

Verne

Last edited by W Guy; 10-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 427 Mystery Motor History