C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Engine Pad Decked

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Hal M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pad Decked

Sometimes the engine pad numbers are no longer there! The owner will say the engine pad was DECKED.
What were the steps in doing this process? And why do they not use another process to save the engine pad numbers?
Hal
Old 12-24-2006, 07:20 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They use a circular grinder to smooth and true the surface - better seal with other componenets.

Restamps will often have circular marks on their engine pad.

True broach marks are linear.

Some people will rebuild the motor, but don't allow the machine shop to machine this section of the short block.

Unfortunately (about 1 time a year) a CF member accidently loses his numbers when his motor is mistakenly decked.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 AM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made sure I was in the machine shop the day they decked the block surface. They ended up finishing it by hand with a straight edge and file to save the numbers on the pad. If I wasn't there I'm sure they would have wiped them off forever.

Bill
Old 12-24-2006, 09:14 AM
RestoDoc
Instructor

Sometimes that statement about the original numbers being decked is just a cover-up to the fact that it's a NOM and this owner never had the original. I don't know, just a little pessimistic. I think the rate of engines that I do that actually need to be decked is about 20% tops. I see it more with engines from the west or southwest that didn't run antifreeze, and the necessity to deck is because of corrosion. Maybe today we're more in tune with the hope of saving the original numbers at all cost, unlike 20 years ago when it didn't matter - when decking a block was standard fare.

The best thing to do is to lift a tracing of the original pad before the engine goes to the machine shop, along with photos of the original numbers. Then, if the pad MUST be decked, you have a record of it's originality. It's pretty hard to get a machinist at a machine shop to save the pad. Most will balk at the idea and tell you it can't be done because of .... or ..... etc. If you're going to put a composite head gasket on your rebuild, like a FelPro blue instead of a steel factory shim-type gasket, you're pretty safe unless the deck surface is really out. The main thing is to do the job right, seal the head surface, but try anyway you can to save the original pad.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:22 AM
RestoDoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by win1876
I made sure I was in the machine shop the day they decked the block surface. They ended up finishing it by hand with a straight edge and file to save the numbers on the pad. If I wasn't there I'm sure they would have wiped them off forever.

Bill

Hats off to you, Bill. I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Most guys at machine shops think we Corvette owners are all just a bunch of wealthy champagne-sipping A-holes anyway, and don't want to do anything above and beyond for us.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Pad Decked

Quick Reply: Engine Pad Decked