C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Powerglide Question for Mechanics . . .

Old 12-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Powerglide Question for Mechanics . . .

Went out in my '66 this morning and all as usual, except my Powerglide shift lever doesn't detent at the transmission. Not to be confused with the detents in the shift lever itself, which work fine, but the transmission shift lever going into the transmission has detent positions as well, which are now not "detenting". All else is fine, you can move the shift lever thru the range and all works as it should, drive, low, reverse, and partk, except the lever doesn't detent.

Gonna put it on the rack tomorrow, most likely pull the pan to get to the linkage and valve body inside, but it's been a long time since I've been into the internals, so here's my question . . .

What should I look for inside, how does the linkage connect, and what part do you suspect as being loose/broken? Anybody have any pics/schematics handy?

Thanks . . .

Ron
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Zigler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give an answer with a couple of caveats first:
- I have never disassembled a Powerglide
- I have not reviewed any service literature for a Powerglide

That being said, I used to work as a product design engineer for automatic transmissions. Most automatics have a similar design for providing detent positions on the manual shaft. After the pan is off, you should be able to see the manual shaft runs through a steel plate which has detent ramps (when you see the part, you will know why it is commonly called the "rooster comb"). There is a steel lever spring with a roller follower which rides on the rooster comb. These parts provide the detents. The spring may have fatigued and broken. You symptoms sound like this is possible... the transmission will still shift through all ranges, but just not have detenting action.

I hope others with direct knowledge of Powerglides chime in. Either way, grab a copy of the service manual as your guide.

- Brad
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZigMan

That being said, I used to work as a product design engineer for automatic transmissions. Most automatics have a similar design for providing detent positions on the manual shaft. After the pan is off, you should be able to see the manual shaft runs through a steel plate which has detent ramps (when you see the part, you will know why it is commonly called the "rooster comb"). There is a steel lever spring with a roller follower which rides on the rooster comb. These parts provide the detents. The spring may have fatigued and broken. You symptoms sound like this is possible... the transmission will still shift through all ranges, but just not have detenting action.

I hope others with direct knowledge of Powerglides chime in. Either way, grab a copy of the service manual as your guide.

- Brad
Thanks for the input, with your description I seem to remember the rooster comb you're referring to, but like I said it's been a long time since I've been into the bottom end of a P'glide.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

It's vary simple to replace the detent spring any other PG is the same part , one bolt to remove it
Old 12-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
It's vary simple to replace the detent spring any other PG is the same part , one bolt to remove it
Thanks, I believe that's what the problem is, won't get into it until next week!!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZigMan

- Brad
Just wanted to update you, Brad, on your "long distance" diagnosis. Pulled the pan a few weeks ago, one end of the spring for the lever had broken, letting the roller "float" over the rooster comb. A friend gave me a new Powerglide spring (popular drag strip tranny, he builds a lot of them), put it in ($5.00 for the pan gasket and filter, good thing I'm an old friend of the guy who owns the local parts place), and $25.00 for a local guy to pull the pan, replace the spring and pan (plus tranny fluid from WallyWorld), and I'm in business again!!

Good educated guess, thanks much!!

Ron
Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Zigler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great news to hear, Ron. Thanks for letting me (and the others on the forum) know how it turned out.

Cheers,

- Brad

Get notified of new replies

To Powerglide Question for Mechanics . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powerglide Question for Mechanics . . .