C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front inner bearing seal help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Tagged61s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front inner bearing seal help

Hi,

I've removed my front wheels and replaced the ball bearings with roller bearings. The bearings came with new inner seals. Everything fits fine, but there was an older "oil splash shield" (or something of that nature) between the seal and the brake back plate. The new bearings kits didn't come with this extra piece.

Does anyone know anything about this extra shield? Is it important? I can't seem to find replacements for it on any of the Corvette parts sites. Old Chilton manuals seem to indicate it has a useful purpose, but it seems the seal without the shield may be good enough.

Thanks,
--Tagged
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

as i remember, there was a large washer shaped cup. this assembly fit on the spindle, between the hub and the backing plate. i think the new rubber lipseal inner seals you have will be sufficient, the old inner seals were felt. i think it served more as a dust shield and slinger. when i put disc brakes on the front i no longer needed it.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,769 Likes on 1,671 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

PUT IT BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!
It is an oil/grease deflector.
It is the VERY FIRST thing to go on, then the inner bearing race, then the hub (with the inner bearing and grease seal), then the outer bearing, washer and nut.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

the bearing preload on the axle is determined by the amount of squish on the bearing / hub pack.
Removing that dished cup might allow your axle nut to bottom out, giving you a false torque reading.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Tagged61s
Intermediate

I as lucky enough to find an old NCRS article that talked about the oil slinger and the seal. This piece was used to catch grease that leaked through the felt seals and divert it into the ridge in the hub (and out past the drum surfaces) to prevent possible brake failure. With the new rubber seals, this seems less a possibilty.

With the slinger on and the seal under the slinger in the hub, the slinger was loose when fully torqued and seated. (I torqued up to 33lbs and then dropped back to about 12, which I guess is ok for rollers.) It's seated correctly in the groove and the inner bearing is seated correctly in the hub, but the slinger is just slightly loose. It's enough that the slinger left shiny rub marks against the backplate after I spinned the wheel a few rotations and then removed the hub again.

I'm not sure how well thiis thing is supposed to fit - I just didn't pay enough attention when removing it (kicking myself). Is this thing supposed to be loose like this, or does it somehow get fasted to the hub over the seal/bearing/race?

Thanks for the help everyone!
-Tagged
Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This part is sometime referred to as a "dust shield". Hard to find in vendors catalogue but if you call Paragon tell them what you want and they will find one for you, at least they did for me when I had to replace a damaged one.

Pierre.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Tagged61s
With the slinger on and the seal under the slinger in the hub, the slinger was loose when fully torqued and seated. (I torqued up to 33lbs and then dropped back to about 12, which I guess is ok for rollers.)
If that's how you adjusted the front wheel bearings, you're going to fry them. You need to back the spindle nut off one flat from the 12 ft-lbs. position and insert the cotter pin (you have your choice of two pin holes - one vertical, one horizontal). If the roller bearings have a preload, they'll fail - they need zero preload and .001"-.008" end play.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default bearings

the ball bearings neeed 33 ft. lbs of torque to keep a preset preload for when the spindles stretch when warm.
Rollers run cooler, they don't create that much heat, and with the expanded contact area, the less heat generated allows the spindle to run cooler/stretch less, so preload torque is less.
but they still need about 5-6 ft.lbs of preload
Old 12-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Tagged61s
Intermediate

Thanks for the help everyone. I always seem to get great info from this forum.

-Tagged
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 AM
cannonsid
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default backing plate grease slinger, oil slinger, dust shield

Originally Posted by Tagged61s
Thanks for the help everyone. I always seem to get great info from this forum.

-Tagged
Ok, here I am ten years later with the same problem.
What keeps this thing from rotating on the spindle and rubbing on the backing plate?
It is either going to rotate because it is rubbing against the grease seal or not rotate if it clears the grease seal but there is nothing to keep it tight against the backing plate as far as I can tell.
Now what?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 AM
cannonsid
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cannonsid
Ok, here I am ten years later with the same problem.
What keeps this thing from rotating on the spindle and rubbing on the backing plate?
It is either going to rotate because it is rubbing against the grease seal or not rotate if it clears the grease seal but there is nothing to keep it tight against the backing plate as far as I can tell.
Now what?
For those who don't know what we are talking about see the photos of the front brake drum below.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Front inner bearing seal help

Quick Reply: Front inner bearing seal help