C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Zora's C2 Corvette Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Zora's C2 Corvette Steering Wheel?

I have a steering wheel in my car that I bought a few years back. It is really lightweight, Leather wrapped, Says Made in France on the back and has Zora Arkus Duntov engraved in the right upper spoke. The guy I bought it from didn't know who that was. He got the wheel with a 69 vette he bought in the early 70's. It was extra parts and was never put on his car. He sold the car and the wheel sat in his garage for 30 years till I bought it. I was told in another forum that during the Chevy racing ban in the early to mid 60's a lot of the parts used for leman's and some of the other races were bought by Duntov with his own money since chevy didn't sponser racing. It was also more cost effective to have the non production parts made where the race was held instead of shipping them over and back. Does anyone recognize this steering wheel? Is it possible this was custom made for a Leman's race car during this time?

Last edited by 63mako; 12-24-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot answer your question but I like the wheel. If you find out anything about I would like to hear it. I need a smaller wheel because when I move my feet from one pedal to another my thighs are grazing the stock wheel and changing the intended direction

At 6'2" and 225 I am not that big but either is a midyear driver location

Doug
Old 12-23-2006, 11:47 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

They are not nearly that old. They were sold not that long ago after Zora became visible again. Probably mid to late 80s.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wombvette
They are not nearly that old. They were sold not that long ago after Zora became visible again. Probably mid to late 80s.
Sorry for going off topic somewhat but do you know of a wheel similar to that one that is currently available? I like my stock wheel but as I said it creates problems for me when shifting and braking.

I need a smaller wheel for more leg room but still want to see the gauges. That wheel looked pretty nice versus some of the high performance Mattel Toy looking wheels I see being advertised

Doug
Old 12-24-2006, 08:21 AM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the exact same wheel I've got in my '64.

Bought it from Ecklers in the early '90's for somewhere in the $110-$125 range. I'm sure the receipt is in my "archieves" down in the basement somewhere.......let me know if you'd like for me to try and dig it out later for an Ecklers part#, etc.

If I remember correctly they also had the wheel with black spokes instead of polished, also they had it in 3-spoke, but the 3 might not have had the Zora sig. They also had the wheel in various leather colors.

BTW, my car has Power Steering and this smaller wheel really improved the feel of the steering.

Last edited by 7vettes; 12-24-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Was told on another forum this was the wheel for a Duntov turbo. Had pictures. http://www.c3sharktank.com/techinfo/duntovturbo.html Thanks for all the info guys! Fits my 63 perfect and works well with my manual steering. Has a shallower dish and smaller diameter for more arm and leg room. The horn even works! But it is not near as good of story as the one I got when I bought it.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Was told on another forum this was the wheel for a Duntov turbo. ....But it is not near as good of story as the one I got when I bought it.
Well, I don't recall which came first, the Duntov Turbo, or the ability to buy the wheel from Ecklers. While the very one on your car may specifically have come off of a Duntov Turbo, bottom line is that style was a fairly common aftermarket wheel from the vette parts vendors.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess Ecklers does not sell them any longer. I would like to find something similar in size that would fit a 65 hub. Just need a little smaller diameter wheel for comfort. Like the big one but not easy getting in and out of the car nor much room.

Get notified of new replies

To Zora's C2 Corvette Steering Wheel?

Quick Reply: Zora's C2 Corvette Steering Wheel?