C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Interior Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Paint

Alright.. after pulling the cluster out today... I decided it was time to just get the interior parts painted... cluster, package tray, console, etc... so where does one go to get the proper paint for interior parts?

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

try this link...it is at the top of this forum page where you posted your question..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1585325

jack
Old 01-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Thanks Jack... but I shopped there as well as doing a search on both the forum and Google... still unable to find an answer...

I am looking for the right Red paint for the interior...

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
65 DENCO
Racer

Originally Posted by Oriondriver
Alright.. after pulling the cluster out today... I decided it was time to just get the interior parts painted... cluster, package tray, console, etc... so where does one go to get the proper paint for interior parts?

Thanks
Scott
I found that link while I was painting my parts ovet the last few days. I first bought the stuff Ecklers sells, it's Seymour paint #16-838 they sell as dash paint. I used it on the dash and glove box. It was spendy but I did like it. I ran out of that paint and still needed to paint my consol, inside of the glove framing and steering column. I Bought the SEM 39143 and some adhesion promter for the chrome on the consol. Got it done today and it is a little flat compared to the Seymour, even with several coats. I liked the Seymour, but to each there own for sure and they are close, just a little more sheen on the Eckler.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Thanks... just looked at the Eckler's stuff... what color did you use?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I am looking for the right Red paint for the interior...
I'm not sure what your exact question is, but if it is "what color red is it?", my red/red 62 is Roman Red, and the interior hard parts were painted with the same Roman Red as was used on the body.

If your question is simply "where can I buy paint?" then I can't offer any help.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Jeff... sorry for the vaqueness.... I am curious about which red it actually is and feedback from anyone that has used various products... which Roman Red did you use?

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
65 DENCO
Racer

Thanks... just looked at the Eckler's stuff... what color did you use?

I guess I drew to quick Mine is black although they may have red. Ethier way atleast you can figure which paint works well....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Jeff... sorry for the vaqueness.... I am curious about which red it actually is and feedback from anyone that has used various products... which Roman Red did you use?

Thanks
Scott

It was technically called Tampico Red from Dupont, deemed the match for Roman Red. A lacquer, it was purchased by the restoration shop that painted my car in 1982. In 1990 I bought more of it, same paint, from a local auto paint supplier, in order to touch up some parts before a show. I bought a quart and thinned it for my paint gun.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Thanks Jeff...

Found two nice sites...

http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/

http://www.corvettecolor.com/

Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
misshaley
Advanced

Just an FYI, I ordered Roman Red Vinyl dye from Corvette America to do the dash pads in our 63. The first can had a rosy/melon cast to the red even after 10 coats of the vinyl dye. Corvette America sent another can after I spoke with them. I re did the dash. It is better, but still has a slight rosy cast to the red,more apparant in the sun, not the bright clear red of our new Roman Red seats. I thought I could live with it... but now find myself preparing to re-do the dash once again. I will be ordering from Ecklers this time.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go here to verify your color:

http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/

Then go here to order the original lacquer paint in 16 oz. rattle cans:

http://www.towerpaint.com/customcans.html

GM painted the interiors with lacquer in the same codes as the exterior paint colors for that year. I redid my 65's red interior and some of my 60's black interior. Unlike C2s which were painted with unbuffed lacquer in the exterior colors, C1s have glossy surfaces so you will need to buff it out like the exterior paint. I compared my 65's red interior to a low miles survivor and it was dead on.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The post above was for all of the hard surfaces. If you are doing seats or the dash pad, then you should use the dye. I used the dye from Corvette America with very good results but make sure you do the prep to make sure there is no Silicon residue on anything (from products like Armorall) or you will have a mess with fisheyes everywhere. Ask me how I know...

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Paint

Quick Reply: Interior Paint