C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have built two cars now with SRIII chassis. If I build another C1 car, I will probably use one of Billy Dawson's frames. Both chassis have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the Coil-over suspension on the SRIII frame, but I like the additional ground clearance of Billy's chassis.
The ground clearance is the only thing on the SRIII chassis that I could complain about, but because of the triangulated frame tubes, this chassis is so stiff you can not believe it! Billy is a friend, and he builds a real nice frame. I will probably build one of his next time just for variety. You could not go wrong with either chassis builder. They are both great guys who have a real customer service attitude, and both build an incredible product at a competitive price.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

A question for Aworks, are your wheels 15 inch and if so did you use c4 brakes. I was under the impression you had to run 16 or 17 inch wheels with c4 suspension.
Thanks Jeff
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeff. My wheels are 16 inch You are correct. The 15's will not clear the calipers. The wheels where made by PS eng. In Calif. I don't have his number here but it is at my shop. If you want it let me know. He makes alot of vintage race car wheels. He's done three sets of wheels for me so far and I may have him make a set for my 66. I just have to make up my mind what style I want.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

PS Engineering (Phil Schmidt)
2675 Skypark Drive
Torrance, California 90505
(310) 534-4477

Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander21
I have a Jamison's frame, great folks to work with right in your neck of the woods. Here's their weblink:

http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com/

Is that same frame as SRIII ?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
Is that same frame as SRIII ?
No. Two separate companies.

Charles
Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
No. Two separate companies.

Charles
Thanks Charles for clearing it. Btw you have done excellent job fabbing one of you self!!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My 60 had a SRIII tube frame when I bought and the ride was rough. I sold it and got a frame from Bill Dawson, Corvette Correction, in Seguin, Texas. I love the ride and handling and Bill is a great guy. His frame is the only way I would go.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Nassau
My 60 had a SRIII tube frame when I bought and the ride was rough. I sold it and got a frame from Bill Dawson, Corvette Correction, in Seguin, Texas. I love the ride and handling and Bill is a great guy. His frame is the only way I would go.
Why do you keep bashing the SRIII frame ? The ride and handling with the coil overs can be tuned the way you like it with different springs and shock settings. Your opinions on the SRIII are based on your flawed understanding of ride and ride control and aren't based on fact. Just because you personally can't figure the coil overs out doesn't mean you need to incessantly bash SRIII.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
Why do you keep bashing the SRIII frame ? The ride and handling with the coil overs can be tuned the way you like it with different springs and shock settings. Your opinions on the SRIII are based on your flawed understanding of ride and ride control and aren't based on fact. Just because you personally can't figure the coil overs out doesn't mean you need to incessantly bash SRIII.

I agree. The SRIII chassis can be made to ride as hard or as soft as you wish. The C4 suspension really does not know if it is being held up by coils or a leaf spring! The spring rate is the spring rate, and it really makes no difference whether it is a coil of leaf. Both setups use exactly the same suspension geometry and components.

My personal feeling is, that to change out a $6K+ frame to get a softer handling car is kind akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Billy is a friend, and he builds a great chassis, but Mike Stockdale at SRIII also builds a very nice product as well. They both are great frames, and are both great guys. You would be well served by either chassis.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-24-2007, 06:17 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I agree. The SRIII chassis can be made to ride as hard or as soft as you wish. The C4 suspension really does not know if it is being held up by coils or a leaf spring! The spring rate is the spring rate, and it really makes no difference whether it is a coil of leaf. Both setups use exactly the same suspension geometry and components.

My personal feeling is, that to change out a $6K+ frame to get a softer handling car is kind akin to throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Billy is a friend, and he builds a great chassis, but Mike Stockdale at SRIII also builds a very nice product as well. They both are great frames, and are both great guys. You would be well served by either chassis.

Regards, John McGraw
I don't know how you can say the frame makes any diff in the way the car rides. The SRIII is one of the stiffest frames out there.And thats what you want, as little flex as you can get. I would use one of Mikes frames again if I where to build another one.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '11

Maybe we just were not good at adjusting the SRIII frame. I am just stating my experience.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 AM
00Nassau
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '11

Maybe we were not good at adjusting the SRIII frame. I am just stating my experience.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 AM
VetteFab
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default False imformation

Originally Posted by 00Nassau
Maybe we were not good at adjusting the SRIII frame. I am just stating my experience.
Please get your facts straight 00Nassau!!!!! THE FRAME YOU REPLACED
WAS NOT AN SRIII FRAME. From the pictures found of this frame,
you can see old KONI shocks, rough fabrication, and it bears little resemblance to the SRIII frame.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
csheerin
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

If you are looking for STAINLESS frames check out www.rowleycorvette.com/frames-new.html
Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Islander21
I have a Jamison's frame, great folks to work with right in your neck of the woods. Here's their weblink:

http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com/
Me too
Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
jsw585
Intermediate

Hi All,

I am about to start a 63 vert, and simply (ha!) need to decide which frame fabricator to go with. I would LOVE to buy a blank frame and find the C4/5 suspension myself, but since this is my first car, I am about 90% certain I will pay retail for a roller.... If anyone has input on the difficulties or ease of locating C4/5 suspension and rebuilding/modifying it DIY-style I would love to hear it!

I originally wanted to go with a Newman conversion, thinking "why waste a Corvette frame...why not use what I have?" However, after thinking a bit more about it, going down the Newman road would leave me with no orignal frame to go back to or to sell should I decide to do so. However, I did talk with them quite a bit and they seem like a wonderful gruop of folks that are interested in providing a solid product.

I then looked into Billy Dawson's frame in Seguin TX, as I live in San Antonio and would LOVE to keep the work local, but he only does C1s. He recommended Jamison, said he liked their work. I will definitely talk to Billy when I do a C1 "for my wife!"

I called John Jamison and talked with him for quite a while. Also a very enthusiastic and friendly person who is eager to help out. I don't think customer service would be a problem here at all. He is willing to sell a a blank chassis with unassembled suspension, and he said he would gladly be available by phone should I have any problems with assembly. The only thing I don't like about the Jamison frame so far is the rear deck mod that must be done.

Since then I have also talked with Mike at SRIII and Tray at Street Shop. Both seem very accessible as well and a pleasure to talk to. Again, Street Shop offers a square frame that requires NO body modification, interior or exterior, which is attractive to me in my aim to keep much of the car in original appearance. The frame will also allow you to use midyear wheels if you wish. Tray also said that it would be easy for me to later upgrade to an LS7 from my generation 1 383 if I wish by purchasing motor mount adapters.

I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the Jamison or the Street Shop chassis, although there are a couple of great theads that document two beautiful projects, a C1 and a C2 by Colt Mckinney that have Street Shop frames:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723

Does anyone have any comments on the Street Shop frame from Tray in Athens, AL? Are you happy with the strenth of the frame, the looks, the ease of fit with your C2, etc? Any input would be wonderful.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!! Can't wait to decide and get started!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Chassis Selection

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I did my wife's '62 modifying the original frame to accept C4 suspension.
http://www.carols62.com
I am now working on a '59 using one of Billy Dawson's frames.
http://www.carols62.com/59
When I was looking to buy a frame I pretty much narrowed my choices down the the SRIII and Billy's frame. I chose Billy's frame because:
1. I did not like the very low ground clearance of the SRIII.
2. I liked the clear open area of the "interior" area on Billy's frame which makes adding the exhaust system easier as well as facilitating the removal of the transmission if necessary.
3. I am going to add a roll cage to my '59 and I feel better welding on the box steel sections as opposed to the round tubes.
4. Billy's setup utilizes the full width, transverse spring suspension in front and rear, which is what I wanted. I'm not sure if any of the other frames offer this or not. At the time I checked (several years ago) the SRIII utilized a narrowed suspension with coil overs which I did NOT want.
5. Billy's frame is a little heavier than the tube frames but I feel that it is just as strong and (in my opinion) it is stiffer than an original modified frame. The workmanship on Billy's frame is excellent.
6. Billy can furnish the "small" stuff like hand brake cables, steering columns, brake boosters, stainless brake lines, and custom instrument panels. He can also furnish a ready to roll frame complete with engine and transmission if that is what you are looking for.

Charles

Charles,
Thank You for doing some of my homework!
This site has created more questions than answers!
It is nice to hear some openions from the folks that have spent their hard earned money and the results they have achieved.
Thanks for pointing this site out to me.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To All:

What are your thoughts on the Mongoose and the Mid-America C4 Frame and Suspensions?

Ty O'Neal
Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsw585
Hi All,

I am about to start a 63 vert, and simply (ha!) need to decide which frame fabricator to go with. I would LOVE to buy a blank frame and find the C4/5 suspension myself, but since this is my first car, I am about 90% certain I will pay retail for a roller.... If anyone has input on the difficulties or ease of locating C4/5 suspension and rebuilding/modifying it DIY-style I would love to hear it!

I originally wanted to go with a Newman conversion, thinking "why waste a Corvette frame...why not use what I have?" However, after thinking a bit more about it, going down the Newman road would leave me with no orignal frame to go back to or to sell should I decide to do so. However, I did talk with them quite a bit and they seem like a wonderful gruop of folks that are interested in providing a solid product.

I then looked into Billy Dawson's frame in Seguin TX, as I live in San Antonio and would LOVE to keep the work local, but he only does C1s. He recommended Jamison, said he liked their work. I will definitely talk to Billy when I do a C1 "for my wife!"

I called John Jamison and talked with him for quite a while. Also a very enthusiastic and friendly person who is eager to help out. I don't think customer service would be a problem here at all. He is willing to sell a a blank chassis with unassembled suspension, and he said he would gladly be available by phone should I have any problems with assembly. The only thing I don't like about the Jamison frame so far is the rear deck mod that must be done.

Since then I have also talked with Mike at SRIII and Tray at Street Shop. Both seem very accessible as well and a pleasure to talk to. Again, Street Shop offers a square frame that requires NO body modification, interior or exterior, which is attractive to me in my aim to keep much of the car in original appearance. The frame will also allow you to use midyear wheels if you wish. Tray also said that it would be easy for me to later upgrade to an LS7 from my generation 1 383 if I wish by purchasing motor mount adapters.

I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the Jamison or the Street Shop chassis, although there are a couple of great theads that document two beautiful projects, a C1 and a C2 by Colt Mckinney that have Street Shop frames:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723

Does anyone have any comments on the Street Shop frame from Tray in Athens, AL? Are you happy with the strenth of the frame, the looks, the ease of fit with your C2, etc? Any input would be wonderful.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!! Can't wait to decide and get started!!!

The 65 coupe that Colt did was mine. We selected Street Shops because there was no body modification. The chassis swap went well and any issues were covered in the build postings. The car rides great with the coil overs and C4 suspension. Tray gives great support for his chassis, very knowledgeable. Hope your project goes well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement frame with c4 suspension?