C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I like the frame Billy Dawson has ..Seguine ,Texas.

Take a look at his web page...corvettecorrection.com

He can arrange everything you need even an engine.

Knows his stuff..
Even though he can't spell "chassis", looks like he can build them.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
A question for Aworks, are your wheels 15 inch and if so did you use c4 brakes. I was under the impression you had to run 16 or 17 inch wheels with c4 suspension.
Thanks Jeff
...if you use the early C4 suspension you can get 15" wheels that will work. I have a set of 15" mags for my Corvette Correction C4 chassis.

Also Stockton Wheel Co. can make a steel wheel with the correct offset for early C4 chassis that you can put C1 hubcaps on if so desired. Sometimes ..minor trimming on the caliper fins is needed to fit other wheels..but it will work with the right wheels.

Stan..
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by firstgear
next car I do, I will go with Art Morrison. Primairly because of the name and reputation. Great name among hot rodders and supplies frames to Foose and some of the other big name builders.

He supplies a complete set up where some of the other ones don't worry about some of the details like headers, attaching the bumpers, etc. His design takes that into consideration.

This is also his 3G frame design. 1G acceleration, 1G turning and 1G braking!
My next project is my 63 split window coupe. Turns out that AM does not have a frame for the C2 (maybe they would custom make one, but I didnt want to pay more than a reasonable number what ever that is). So I got one from SRIII Motorsports. Mike was more than willing and reasonable to work with considering I wanted some different things, which included lowering the chassis as much as possible (about an inch) over stock position, narrowing the rear end for wider tires, chrome springs and chrome rack and pinion. He was very easy to do business with.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

...if you use the early C4 suspension you can get 15" wheels that will work. I have a set of 15" mags for my Corvette Correction C4 chassis.

Also Stockton Wheel Co. can make a steel wheel with the correct offset for early C4 chassis that you can put C1 hubcaps on if so desired. Sometimes ..minor trimming on the caliper fins is needed to fit other wheels..but it will work with the right wheels.

Stan..
I'm running stock 15" (aluminum) wheels on the '96 suspension under my '69. It's just a little more work finding aftermarket rotors to fit with the rest of the parts.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
My next project is my 63 split window coupe. Turns out that AM does not have a frame for the C2 (maybe they would custom make one, but I didnt want to pay more than a reasonable number what ever that is). So I got one from SRIII Motorsports. Mike was more than willing and reasonable to work with considering I wanted some different things, which included lowering the chassis as much as possible (about an inch) over stock position, narrowing the rear end for wider tires, chrome springs and chrome rack and pinion. He was very easy to do business with.

As always, I'm doing my own thing with the suspension and Mike has been more than patient with my pestering him to do the trade studies in determining the specific combination of parts that I would like.

Since I'm the one flipping the coin, it's all about me.

-- Joe
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I have built two cars now with SRIII chassis. If I build another C1 car, I will probably use one of Billy Dawson's frames. Both chassis have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the Coil-over suspension on the SRIII frame, but I like the additional ground clearance of Billy's chassis.
The ground clearance is the only thing on the SRIII chassis that I could complain about, but because of the triangulated frame tubes, this chassis is so stiff you can not believe it! Billy is a friend, and he builds a real nice frame. I will probably build one of his next time just for variety. You could not go wrong with either chassis builder. They are both great guys who have a real customer service attitude, and both build an incredible product at a competitive price.

Regards, John McGraw
Is there anyone who knows of a quantitative analysis of frame stiffness amongst the various vendors? Looking at the SRIII, it looks like the best engineered unit I have seen (althought the Rowley stainless unit is cool, I'd guess that it is not as stiff as the SRIII unit). Would like a more analytical assessment of the various vendors, especially SRIII and Billy's frames.

-- Joe
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

I am building a 63 restomod and are checking out frames . Does anyone know how much a sr3 frame weighs ?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
I'm running stock 15" (aluminum) wheels on the '96 suspension under my '69. It's just a little more work finding aftermarket rotors to fit with the rest of the parts.
I sure didn't know that. Thanks for the information...what brand parts etc.?

Most folks want the big wheels these days...but if anyone buys a resto mod with late C4 suspension..and wants to go back to 15's, this could be some very good information to have.

I thought about buying a restomod already finished a while back , and passed because I wanted 15' wheels.

Stan...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I sure didn't know that. Thanks for the information...what brand parts etc.?

Most folks want the big wheels these days...but if anyone buys a resto mod with late C4 suspension..and wants to go back to 15's, this could be some very good information to have.

I thought about buying a restomod already finished a while back , and passed because I wanted 15' wheels.

Stan...
I put Wilwood two-piece rotors and calipers on the car. I wanted to be able to retain the stock look 15 inch wheels for street driving, but still have some capable brakes when I put the track tires on.
The caliper room is tight due to the shape of the front suspension upright and the smaller diameter wheel, but it can be done.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
I put Wilwood two-piece rotors and calipers on the car. I wanted to be able to retain the stock look 15 inch wheels for street driving, but still have some capable brakes when I put the track tires on.
The caliper room is tight due to the shape of the front suspension upright and the smaller diameter wheel, but it can be done.
Thanks for that Mike..

I don't do road racing..so stock C4 brakes were a huge improvement ove '61 brakes..in fact I really thought they were good enough to race if I should want to? The paint just about slides off the car if there's enough rubber on the ground..ha!

But...finding out that the bigger rotors and calipers can be used with 15's is great!! Even better..thanks again

Stan...

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-02-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
srkindustries
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Replacement frames

Check out www.uscorvetteconversions.com, They offer C4,C5,C6 frames. Most companies only offer the suspension and brakes for the c5/C6 but use only C4, jag or straight axle rears but this site offers real C5/C6 driveline also.

Quick Reply: Replacement frame with c4 suspension?