C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
smiley-ro
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Who has or knows of someone who has replaced his frame on a c-1 to a c4 or 5 suspension? I have looked at Paul Neuman, Street Shop, on a stock type frame, or SRIII with a tube frame. They all use the more modern Aluminum suspensions, but is there an advantage one over the other. I am talking about cost, modification, & preformance. Roger Orton
Old 02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Zo62
Instructor

I did my own conversion, not hard for anyone with decent fabrication skills.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 PM
smiley-ro
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Frame

What frame did you use?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Try Jaminsons frames in Charleston SC
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I like the frame Billy Dawson has ..Seguine ,Texas.

Take a look at his web page...corvettecorrection.com

He can arrange everything you need even an engine.

Knows his stuff..
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vstol
Try Jaminsons frames in Charleston SC
I have a Jamison's frame, great folks to work with right in your neck of the woods. Here's their weblink:

http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com/
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
CorvetteTechInc
Instructor

There are many options to choose from out there. Those that use one frame or another will tell you that it is the best. I would suggest doing some homework and comparisons yourself along with feedback from those who have used aftermarket frames.

Some to compare:

Art Morrison
SRIII
Car Creations (Newmans)
Jim Meyers
Corvette Connection
Jamisons
Street Shop
etc.

Things to consider:

Front Suspension Options
Rear Suspension Options
Modifications to body if any
Engine and Transmission options
Bolt on?
Fuel Tank Requirements if any (Stock or aftermarket)
Exhaust (Stock or aftermarket?)
Wheel and Tire limitations?
Price
Weight
Shipping?
Design (Strength)
Customer Service
Finish Options (Paint or Powdercoatin)
Roller Available?
etc.

Also to consider is if you do your own work or farm it out. The shop you pick may have a preference for some reason.

I prefer the SRIII myself for a couple of reasons but there are many good options out there. That's why I suggest doing your own homework and make a decision that's right for you.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Why SRIII?

Originally Posted by CorvetteTechInc
Front Suspension Options
Rear Suspension Options
Modifications to body if any
Engine and Transmission options
Bolt on?
Fuel Tank Requirements if any (Stock or aftermarket)
Exhaust (Stock or aftermarket?)
Wheel and Tire limitations?
Price
Weight
Shipping?
Design (Strength)
Customer Service
Finish Options (Paint or Powdercoatin)
Roller Available?

I prefer the SRIII myself for a couple of reasons but there are many good options out there. That's why I suggest doing your own homework and make a decision that's right for you.

Which of the list of items made you choose the SRIII?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I did my wife's '62 modifying the original frame to accept C4 suspension.
http://www.carols62.com
I am now working on a '59 using one of Billy Dawson's frames.
http://www.carols62.com/59
When I was looking to buy a frame I pretty much narrowed my choices down the the SRIII and Billy's frame. I chose Billy's frame because:
1. I did not like the very low ground clearance of the SRIII.
2. I liked the clear open area of the "interior" area on Billy's frame which makes adding the exhaust system easier as well as facilitating the removal of the transmission if necessary.
3. I am going to add a roll cage to my '59 and I feel better welding on the box steel sections as opposed to the round tubes.
4. Billy's setup utilizes the full width, transverse spring suspension in front and rear, which is what I wanted. I'm not sure if any of the other frames offer this or not. At the time I checked (several years ago) the SRIII utilized a narrowed suspension with coil overs which I did NOT want.
5. Billy's frame is a little heavier than the tube frames but I feel that it is just as strong and (in my opinion) it is stiffer than an original modified frame. The workmanship on Billy's frame is excellent.
6. Billy can furnish the "small" stuff like hand brake cables, steering columns, brake boosters, stainless brake lines, and custom instrument panels. He can also furnish a ready to roll frame complete with engine and transmission if that is what you are looking for.

Charles
Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Zo62
Instructor

Originally Posted by smiley-ro
What frame did you use?

I used my original frame

Unlike most I actually left my stock frame horns up front. This made less fabrication, but tricking to get the caster just right. I am very happy with the end result.

The tube chassis shown in the post above is awesome!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
blandacre
Advanced

Default Conversion

I used Billy Dawson's (Corvette Correction) frame and I am very happy with it. Double perimeter with no X-Member and a removeable crossmember for easy trans/engine removal. It will accept virtually any sb or bb Chevy engine & trans combo. Handles great and goes like stink with the LS1 and T56. Bolt together operation with the exception of a minor mod to the third member housing which Billy can do for you.

Bud
62/LS1/T56
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Blandacre - sharp looking 62... Got any more pics of her....???
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
61Rat
Racer

I am also a happy customer of Billy Dawson's, for many of the same reasons Charles listed above. I spent a lot of time looking at everybodies products and services and went with Billy after my research. I will make a point of saying that all of the products and services that I researched in 2002 when I was in the market were very good, so making a final decision may be harder than you think.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
CorvetteTechInc
Instructor

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
Which of the list of items made you choose the SRIII?
Some of this may be subjective and I am not knocking other products as there are many good ones to choose from. But this is why we choose the SRIII for some of the stuff we do.

Strength - We use the SRIII chassis when we can because we feel the triangulated design offers one of the (if not the) strongest options out there.

Flexibility - One thing I failed to mention earlier is that SRIII was very willing to work with us on customizing the chassis as well as work with other Vendors to make sure their products fit. (examples being the narroed rear frame rails (2" inward on each side and worked directly with Stainless Works to make sure their headers and sidepipes fit perfectly before the chassis got to us). Any engine and tranny mount combination are available.

Customer Service: I have met with Mike Stockdale at Carlisle the last two years and talked/emailed with him many times. Customer service and response have always been number one for us.

Price: Pricing was competitive and many options (bare, prime and paint, powdercoating, full rollers, C4 or C5 front suspension options, coilovers, body panels, and more) available at reasonable costs. Cost was also reduced as you don't have to ship your frame out to be done and ship it back to you. That adds up a lot.

The above plus the fact that we like the "race-car" tube frame look are some of the reasons why we use SRIII. But like I said, anyone considering a replacement frame should do their own research and make a decision that is right for them. There are many good (and a couple maybe not-so-good) options out there.

ps: Z062 and Cbern... - Beautiful rides and my hats off to you for doing your own fabrication work.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
grizzlyalan
Intermediate

I went with the Newman Car Creations conversion mainly because I wanted to convert using ALL corvette parts and with very little modifications. The C4 suspension parts are a direct bolt in less the rear steer arms and lower shock mounts. and only two body mods. inner fenderwell to clear the new front crossmember and a small patch in the spare tire well to clear the diff. After I bought the Newman chassis I got a chance to look at Billy Dawsons Corvette Correction chassis at the Corvette/Chevy Expo in Houston this year. Very nice setup. it requires the same body mods as the Newman's but he has eleminated the X-member allowing the engine and trans to set lower between the frame rails. lower center of gravity and more hood clearance. The rear suspension utilizes a modified batwing and pinion snubber which allows room for the exhaust system past the rear axle. I think if I had to do it again I would go with Corvette Correction. I looked at Art Morrisons chassis and progressive's chassis about 4 years ago but did not like them because of the extensive body modifications. The dog bones mount to the frame high enough that you have to modify the fuel tank well and the convertible top storage area. There are a lot of choices out there now days just do some research and ask alot of questions. Good luck Alan
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

next car I do, I will go with Art Morrison. Primairly because of the name and reputation. Great name among hot rodders and supplies frames to Foose and some of the other big name builders.

He supplies a complete set up where some of the other ones don't worry about some of the details like headers, attaching the bumpers, etc. His design takes that into consideration.

This is also his 3G frame design. 1G acceleration, 1G turning and 1G braking!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM
bleu65vt
Intermediate

Rich Lagasse used Paul Newman aka Car Creations for his frame on his '62 Vette. Check his site:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index7.shtml

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Old 04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smiley-ro
Who has or knows of someone who has replaced his frame on a c-1 to a c4 or 5 suspension? I have looked at Paul Neuman, Street Shop, on a stock type frame, or SRIII with a tube frame. They all use the more modern Aluminum suspensions, but is there an advantage one over the other. I am talking about cost, modification, & preformance. Roger Orton
There is a thread with a C2 and Streetshps chassis - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723. It is a C2 suspension/Dana 44 rear, tremec 5 speed and LS2 engine. The Streetshops chassis was selected because the body did not have to be cut to fit the chassis (rear floor area) like on some other chassis. The Tremec was also selected as the floor pan did not have to be cut versus a 6 speed. Just some thoughts.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll jump on the Corvette Correction Billy Dawson bandwagon. After much research and talking with a few vendors I went with Billy. I pick up my frame and a bunch of other parts on Tuesday. T-56 tranny will fit without modifying the tunnel and only needs the same minor body mods as the others (trim front inner fender-wells for suspension clearance and modify spare tire well to clear the rear steer). Billy is exceptionally knowledgeable and easy to talk to. He stocks lots of parts to make the conversion easier and is price competitive.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I used the SRIII chassis. No problems at all. I would use one again if I where to build that type of car again. I also think the Dawson frame is very nice and well built. I chose the SRIII because I could get the track width close to stock. I do not like late model corvette wheels on the older cars. But thats just me. When you look at my 60 it looks bone stock except for the kidny beans.[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Replacement frame with c4 suspension?