C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 keys locked in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 keys locked in trunk

Short of calling a locksmith, do any of you know of a way to get a C1's trunk open (without breaking anything of course) when you don't have the key? I don't know if mine are actually in there, but my set is lost and the trunk is about the last place that I have to look before calling the locksmith. Bonehead move on my part if in fact the keys are in there, but it's the last place I can look before making the $$$ call to a locksmith. Hope one of you has a clever idea. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:09 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I really don't know which locks are keyed alike on C-1's but you might consider taking another lock off the car and taking it to the locksmith to have a key made. Usual charge for that is about $10., a lot cheaper than a service call.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Shumdit
Racer

One word: PRYBAR

I think LSU's idea might be the best, since I do not think there is way to bypass the lock like you can the hood release on a C2, etc.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUvetteguy
I really don't know which locks are keyed alike on C-1's but you might consider taking another lock off the car and taking it to the locksmith to have a key made. Usual charge for that is about $10., a lot cheaper than a service call.
All locks are on one key on my 60. Take the glove box lock to a locksmith and have extras made to keep just in case.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I see you have a 61.

When the trunk lock rod fell off in the trunk of my 62, rendering the trunk lock useless, I carefully pushed the emblem on the trunk lid, into the trunk. I ended having to replace the center emblem, but I really had no other choice.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

I did that once, put my keys in my coat and put the coat in the trunk had brain fade and closed the lid. I ended up opening the convertible top cover and reached in through the hinge opening which leads to the trunk, pushed out the cardboard trunkliner and managed to fish my coat through far enough to get the keys back. It wasn't easy but it worked. A person with real skinny arms could possibly even reach through. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad that I have a C-2!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

if none of your locks have never been changed, i agree that the easiest method is to the take the "glovebox" (and that's about all it will hold... ) lock to a locksmith and have a key made. if the glovebox is locked, take a door lock....
Bill
Old 03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Racer-rt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Glovebox lock

I'm not sure whether it holds true for a C1 Corvette, but typical glove box locks only have half the number of pins that a door or trunk lock have. A call to the lock shop should tell you before you take anything apart.
Also ours are very easy cars to hot wire, so maybe driving the car to the lock shop could be an option.
Rich

Last edited by Racer-rt; 03-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

If you have any other chev keys of similar era, or if some friends have some, give that a try. There are only about 10 or12 different key combinations that were used. It's worth a try. I remember once my mom looked the keys in the '50 chev far from home. A guy came along tried his key and it worked!
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (05-08-2017)
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
I'm glad that I have a C-2!
I am glad I own a C-3 convertible
Old 03-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 782 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

GCD1962 I owe you a 6 pack !!!! last summer I bought a 64 project car, of course no keys and the ignition switch in Lock position. I contemplated taking a drill to the lock many times and always found something else to do-- not a high priority right now.After reading your response to this thread, a light bulb went on in my head. I remembered !! YOU WERE RIGHT !! I have owned many old Vettes and Chevys, found my pile of old keys and started trying them. The very last one turned the ignition switch. It is now out and in my hands . WOOO ! Thanks Man !!
Pops
Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

On the '61-'62 I believe you can unscrew the license plate light lens and reach the lock actuating rod. It is a tight fit though.
Charles
Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Why not get the extra keys out of the closet and open it? Or ask the wife for her set?

Actually, the key code may be stamped on the underside of the door locks. You can use a dental mirror and light to read the code and have a dealer or locksmith cut the key from the code, not having to remove anything.

Being a C1, you can even hotwire it and drive down, so the locksmith can do it.

Or if you have AAA, use your lock-out service.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 PM
71zman
Racer

OK - not the best but once my trunk locking mechanism broke on my 1960 and the only way to get the trunk open was the pry-bar approach. I wrapped a large screw driver with a shop rag to minimize damage to the paint, and gave the lid a good push and lo / behold - it popped open, no damage to the paint - I felt lucky that day
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Wow; more replies than I thought that I'd get. Some are a bit scary (prybar??? ). All the responses are greatly appreciated.

I actually stumbled on to the fact that my wife had placed old keys on our 2-year old's play set of keys - guess what? One of them was the copy of my ignition key to the '61. So I can drive it, but still can't open the trunk. I can get the glove box lock out, so unless I find out that the trunk key is on a toy of my 8-year old's (now that we know the 2-year old doesn't have it), or that the dog ate it and we have to open him up (easier than opening the trunk with a pry bar and the dog is about ready to go anyway), I'll be taking the glove box lock to a lock smith as suggested by y'all.

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
GCD1962 I owe you a 6 pack !!!! last summer I bought a 64 project car, of course no keys and the ignition switch in Lock position. I contemplated taking a drill to the lock many times and always found something else to do-- not a high priority right now.After reading your response to this thread, a light bulb went on in my head. I remembered !! YOU WERE RIGHT !! I have owned many old Vettes and Chevys, found my pile of old keys and started trying them. The very last one turned the ignition switch. It is now out and in my hands . WOOO ! Thanks Man !!
Pops
Yes it is true, if you have a bunch of old keys, one of them will probably work. Shake the crap out of them as you try to turn them. I had a friend back in the 60s who had a key ring with about 50 keys on it that would start any GM car. His intentions were less than noble. He now is a sheriff in Wyoming. Go figure. Ask all your friends to try old keys in the lock. If that does not work, you can always stick a large screw driver in the key slot and strip the fiber glass indents and force the shaft to turn. Ouch!!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 keys locked in trunk

Old 03-11-2007, 01:00 AM
wib1961
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

On '61's there is only one key that fits the ignition AND the trunk. Try your key again. If it does not open the trunk then the lock on the trunk has been changed and the glove box lock should not match.This may put you back to driving the car to the locksmith and he will open the lock for you. Good luck!BTW the same key fits the doors too. Originally the one key fit all locks in the car unless any were changed.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Jimsjam33
Racer

Push and twist the 6" diameter Corvette Emblem into the trunk . It is held on by a fastener that is twisted into place . You should be able to reach any top surface article in the trunk without too much trouble and it is easy to re-fasten .
Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Racer-rt
Instructor

Any of you guys work in a butcher shop for a day job. On a $40,000 and up Corvette let a decent locksmith make a key!

Quick Reply: C1 keys locked in trunk