C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Barrett-Jackson defamation lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Barrett-Jackson defamation lawsuit

Anybody know what this is about? I never saw a car with chains around it. This is a press release Barrett-Jackson sent out today.

"SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. MARCH 16, 2007 - Late yesterday Barrett-Jackson Auction Co. LLC filed suit in U.S. District Court in relation to a situation that occurred at the company's January 2007 Scottsdale event.

A consignor, apparently unhappy with the $300,000 sale price of his vehicle, placed chains and locks on the vehicle after it crossed the auction block and was sold, while it sat in the area where featured auction cars were displayed. He posted multiple notices on the vehicle claiming that the sale was void due to claimed "auction irregularities," and published other false and defamatory statements about Barrett-Jackson in view of the company's customers and the thousands of patrons attending the event. Barrett-Jackson's internal legal and security teams, and the Scottsdale Police Department, responded to the incident and documented the damage.

An ongoing internet smear campaign has stemmed from this seller dispute, with numerous defamatory rumors and untrue statements being published to websites and online chat rooms viewed by the company's core customer base. In particular, an untrue, derogatory and defamatory "article" referring to the above incident has made its way onto more than 20 automotive-related online "blogs" and discussion boards frequented by thousands of classic car enthusiasts around the world.

Barrett-Jackson filed its lawsuit in order to protect its 36-year reputation and business interests by seeking to correct the untrue information that has been published, and by filing suit against the responsible party on six separate counts, including defamation and breach of contract.

Barrett-Jackson constantly strives to maintain the utmost ethical standards in all the company's operations and activities. The company recognizes that not every customer will be happy with the result of every auction sale, and the Barrett-Jackson team values thoughtful, well-informed feedback.

However, Barrett-Jackson takes the company's business reputation very seriously, and will do whatever is necessary to defend against unfounded claims. Copies of the lawsuit can be obtained by contacting the clerk of the U.S. District Court in Phoenix or at www.azd.uscourts.gov."

First they kick Keith Martin out now the're sueing their customers.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

we've all seen the referenced "article" (In particular, an untrue, derogatory and defamatory "article") in multiple postings . . . .
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by philip964
now the're sueing their customers.
I'd sue him too - he's a jerk, just like the blogger "journalist" who posted the totally unsubstantiated article filled with rumors and lies (and wasn't even there).
Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumb question... who are they going after?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Cliff63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I'd sue him too - he's a jerk, just like the blogger "journalist" who posted the totally unsubstantiated article filled with rumors and lies (and wasn't even there).
I agree.... Facts are facts.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm no great lover of BJ, but I'd sue him too.

No matter how angry a seller gets, he cannot publish outright lies and slanderous comments.

Chuck
Old 03-16-2007, 07:06 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Do you have a link to the car or a blog. This suit was all news to me. I never saw a car chained up.

I know about the Blogger Journalist who later took down his post. Is this suit against the guy who got supposedly "short timed" and is a judge in Phoenix.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Quick Google search, and here is what I found:

"When a Michigan judge's 1970 Hemi 'Cuda sold for $300,000 at Scottsdale's Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in January, the gavel came down too quickly, says its seller.

The car should have fetched $700,000 to $1 million, former owner David Clabuesch says"

This is the link to the whole article (including the reference to chaining it up) which was 'published" today:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...it0316-ON.html
Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

"The car should have fetched $700,000 to $1 million, former owner David Clabuesch says"

If he thought that....then why not have a reserve on the car???
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by al329
"The car should have fetched $700,000 to $1 million, former owner David Clabuesch says"

Barrett-Jackson is a NO RESERVE auction...where have you been??
...redvetracr
Old 03-16-2007, 07:36 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Ohh didnt know. Dont watch it. Have no interest in watching somone pay $1 million for a ugly *** cuda.

Well then could he bid on his own car?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 PM
KyleDallas
Drifting

BJ is right to sue.. the guy can't throw a tantrum and then publish lies..

As far as ethics goes.. I saw how Craig Jackson handled his Bidder's
Assistant's blunder on the GM Bus auction on Speed... he blamed the bidder and not his assistant and was very quick to grab his guns instead of being quick at finding the facts...

Horrible behavior on Jackson's part- and one of the many reason's
my opinion of him went sour..... he essentially called the bidder a liar and threatened to Make him pay BEFORE viewing the tape... nice way to treat a guy who is fixing to put $240,000 in your pocket... at an 8% buyer's premium on a $3 million dollar deal. Ready,Fire,Aim...what a goober.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by al329

Because Barret Jackson has enough sellers out there with quality cars who will list their cars without reserve; so if you want your car to go through their (Barret Jackson) auction you will list it without a reserve because they don't need you if you have a reserve.

A reserve will cost your the mass exposure that you get with Barret Jackson.

Rich
Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Because Barret Jackson has enough sellers out there with quality cars who will list their cars without reserve; so if you want your car to go through their (Barret Jackson) auction you will list it without a reserve because they don't need you if you have a reserve.

A reserve will cost your the mass exposure that you get with Barret Jackson.

Rich
I thought just a few years ago they did allow reserves? I know recently there are none but I can remember cars not meeting reserves in the past. Wrong or correct?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:20 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

It seems to me that approx. 3 yrs ago that BJ did have the reserve "option" for the seller.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
It seems to me that approx. 3 yrs ago that BJ did have the reserve "option" for the seller.
Yes, they did and then they realized that they were wasting time on cars that the reserve was to high by owners like the judge. The demand for space on the block lets Graig J. do what no other auctioneer can do.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of figured this was just around the corner. The interesting part for me will be to see the courts take on the blogosphere. I am not sure of what exactly the judge did or said and how much of the bad press was due to the blogs "piling on". Also the article that was written and printed here and on other forums and then the steam that it picked up putting BJ in not the most favorable light may be mentioned in the case. Should be interesting to watch-Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett-Jackson defamation lawsuit

Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

This is very interesting. I hope that someone in this forum can keep us posted as it progresses. Personally, I don't like Craig Jackson. He seem to be extremely arrogant and rather full of himself. The auction does however present some of the highest quality vehicles in the world. Why would they "quick gavel" a car that could have made more money for them? There was also an accusation of them planting bidders on their own cars, so they could get the vehicle back if the $$$ were't high enough. Regardless of the outcome, I still enjoy watching it in Speedvision. If I had the opportunity, I like to attend a future auction. However, if I was in a position, to buy another car, Barrett Jackson would be the last place that I would look.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

"The auction is covered live on the Speed Channel on cable and satellite, but a commercial was showing during the disputed sale."

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

This could be bad for BJ as well.. I'm sure some dirt is gonna come out... I don't think this guy is that stupid..

/jc

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson defamation lawsuit