C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body off 61 Rod project

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
I got my complete frame from Billy Dawson, Corvette Corrections.. I don't belive he makes repair sections for stock frames but I could be wrong.
Thanks. I'm really not sure where it came from. Well after looking at your frame I'm headed out to the workshop.

58n65
Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Engine drop

A little more progress, I dropped the LS1 between the frame rails for the first time. No bling, just a 40,000 mile engine and trans from a 2002 Camaro. Went real well, no problems.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you had to remove the a/c compressor and the alt to install the motor. What accessory brackets are you going to use to mount them? The t'stat housing looks a little close as well. What rear end are you using, what gears? Making progress! Have fun!
Nick
Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

The alternator will most likely go back in it's original location. I only removed it for cleaning, not due to a clearance issue. (edit: I was wrong here, see future posts) I was told that the A/C compressor would not fit in it's stock location so I removed it just so I would have no issues when I swung the engine. (I was working by myself). I haven't tried to fit it up yet but it looks like there will be interference. Others are using the S&P drive to relocate the compressor but there is also a kit made by Alf in Sand City Ca. (no web page) that places a Sanden compressor up high on the passenger side and keeps the rest of the accy. drive stock. I haven't contacted him yet to get the parts but I understand that it is a lot less $$ than the S&P drive. Oh, and for the t-stat I'll be using a straight housing from S&P. I'll post more pics when I get all that finalized. The rear end is a Dana 36 (dainty 36?) with 3.73 gears.

Last edited by kwkenuf; 08-15-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: misinformed....
Old 09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Been down for a while, sick like never before... shingles..... wouldn't wish it on anyone... It's been 3 weeks and I'm still not right.....
Got lots of parts in the meantime though. Hopefully this weekend I'll be installing an LS7 clutch kit, laying out the engine harness, installing the A/C compressor, alternator and accessory drive, modifying the fender wells for suspension clearance and other wise preparing the body for it's first time being placed on the frame. If my plan holds, I'll have some updated pics to post by the end of the weekend.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Get Well Soon

Andy, Glad your better. I had the shingles at age 17 and it was no fun at all. Bad news is you can have them more than once. My mother-in-law is with us now, age 87 and she is in her third week with the shingles. Talked to my doctor and plan to get the shot next week.
Anyways your car is out of this world and I know you can't wait to get back on it. Keep this pics comming.

Earl
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 PM
navydoc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man shingles suck. That is of course a medical term. Hope you feel better soon.
Progress looks good.

Scott
Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Get better soon as I'm enjoying your progress... It's like watching ABC's LOST only to find the next episode is two months away...

Take care and keep posting...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 AM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Well.... I got the clutch changed out, that went great. Installed an LS2 flywheel and LS7 pressure plate and disc in addition to new hydraulics and a remote bleeder kit...

Swung the engine and trans back in and started to work on the accessory drive, relocating the A/C pump to the passenger top side of the engine.

After congratulating myself on what a fine job I did selecting the relocation kit, I started to mount up the alternator in it's stock location.... I thought somehow I had this all figured out and it would fit there (low on the drivers side). After removing the rack and pinion to get enough clearance to slide the alternator and idler pulley in there I was getting concerned because while the alternator did fit, the rag I had placed in between the frame and the alternator to protect the powder coat would not slide out, it was that tight... After looking at it for a while and figuring out how I was going to clearance the frame to give the alternator a little more room I realized that I had completely blocked access to the rack and there was no way the alternator was going to reside there. Glad I started paying attention before I got out the BFH and made some room for the alternator.....

Now I 'm hoping I didn't blow my money on the A/C relocation kit and I can get something to work for the alternator... 1 step forward, 2 steps back... ahh well.... On a positive note, I got my drive shaft and there was no drama with that..... While I figure out the accessory drive and wait for the parts, I'll get back to work readying the body to drop on the frame for it's first fit check.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

With considerable help from Nick D, I think we have the accessory drive figured out. I'll be using the stock LS1 Corvette power steering/alternator bracket and idler on the drivers side spaced out to accommodate the rest of the drive which is set up for Camaro drive spacing. Just got the parts ordered today from GM so it'll probably be next week before I can move forward on that.
I was going to cut my inner fender wells for suspension clearance yesterday but I don't have my core support installed yet and to use the cut template I got from Billy Dawson, it needs to be installed.
Net result of this weekend..... nuttin' much..... I'm gunna' have to start working on it more weeknights if I intend to finish before May 30... (50th birthday)
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Question!

Andy, I assume the engine came from a salvage yard. What would one have to pay for a similar engine? Sure looks sweet between those frame rails.

Earl
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Andy, I assume the engine came from a salvage yard. What would one have to pay for a similar engine? Sure looks sweet between those frame rails.

Earl
Thanks. I didn't get this one from a salvage yard, I found it on the Las Vegas FBody forum from a private seller. I paid $2600 for the approx. 40K mile engine, trans, computer, a totally trashed wiring harness and all the accessories. I also got the Camaro engine cradle complete with rack and pinion, brakes and suspension that I intend to sell to offset some of my cost. I have seen better deals out there but I think I did OK. The are always lots of LS1s on EBay so you can figure current pricing from there. I got outbid a number of times on Ebay but 26 was all I wanted to pay. You can sometimes pick up a whole totaled Fbody for 2500 or less and then after you remove the drive-train you can part out the rest and damn near get your engine and trans for free. Takes time, contacts and a hassle free space to do the work however. (I've got a restrictive home owners association and my garage is already full.....)

Last edited by kwkenuf; 10-08-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks!

Good data and thanks! My current project is going back original, but I hope I can do a C1 resto-rod next.
I also live in a neighborhood that restricts such things. Thank goodness I have a friend who let me do the dirty work at his shop. Just got it back from the paint shop and doing the assembly in my garage here at the house. As you have seen on TV we are having a late heat wave here in Va, 91 yesterday and the same thru Wed. Plan to get back on it as soon as it cools down. Thanks Again and keep those pics and good info coming.

Earl
Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, it is looking great, the guy who did my 65 Coupe is doing a 61 now as well. Have you visited his thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1781661
My 65 is covered under http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723 . Your running into things that he is as well on both builds. I'll keep watching both while I finish mine up. Keep up the good work. Tim
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 AM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Default Slowly.....

Got my exhaust manifolds back after ceramic coating. They are one year only 98 F-Body manifolds which are steel rather than cast iron. I think they look good and they are supposed to flow OK.

I also marked and cut the inner fender wells for suspension clearance.

Before:

And after:

And mocked up the core support to drill holes in the left fender well for the core support and left extension:

Initial body drop this weekend? After that I've got lots of glass work to do on the firewall. I want to remove that ridge where the lower tub mates to the upper section and close and smooth out all unnecessary holes. I'll be using a Vintage Air system and Raingear wipers so the firewall should be fairly clutter free when complete..... I hate bodywork...... If you think the project has been going slow to this point, wait till you see the excuses I come up with to put off glassing, sanding and priming.....
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Aussiesnagz63
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a great Yarn..

Keep it coming i'm watching with interest over here in OZ.I spent two years restoring the front end of my brothers torana (Aussie Muscle car) and it bloody near killed me, but in the end it's well worth it.Keep the pictures coming,Aussiesnagz

Keep Cruizin
Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 AM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Default Initial body drop

Put the body in place for the first time on the new frame last weekend. Just needed to cut the shifter opening for the T-56 on the way down. I haven't played with the shims yet but it's considerably different than my stock frame. On my stocker, to align the rear edge door gaps I needed a stack of shims on the rear mount locations to bring the gaps close. The way it sits now, the doors are touching the body at the rear without any shims on the rear mounts. So If I have this figured correctly, I'll have to raise the middle mounts up so the rear can go down... Someone chime in here if I've got the sequence wrong... Hopefully I'll start on that tomorrow.

After getting my doors and panels aligned, I'll start mocking up as many components as I have including chrome so I can plan the rest of the bodywork. I've got some glassing to do in the spare tire well, around the shifter hole and the center console. I also intend to reinforce the back side of the firewall so I can smooth the engine side the next time the body is off. Still waiting for my ps pump and alternator bracket to arrive but no worries there, I have plenty of work to do in the mean time.

Get notified of new replies

To Body off 61 Rod project

Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Keep em coming.

Also, curious question. YOu ra into some pulley issues with the pump and rack. Do you think the new March System (pricey I'm sure) would clear with your chassis? It look like the pump may just be high enought o tuck the nose of the rack underneath but may be hard to tell.

Last edited by 78Vette-SA; 10-27-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
Do you think the new March System (pricey I'm sure) would clear with your chassis?
Tough to tell from that angle but it looks like it might clear everything.....
Old 10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
david srour
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posts Andy. Looks really good. Have you decided where to put the PCM? I had mine mounted pass side engine compartment under right fender, but now I decided to put AC on and want to relocate PCM. I also have the Alf Bracket. I used the corvette front end accesories and everything else fits fine.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Body off 61 Rod project