C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel gage reads backwards

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
67 green
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel gage reads backwards

With power on and key on the fuel gage needle points to full ( the tank is 1/2 full, measured with a woden stick) When I disconnect the (-) battery wire and wait 1-3 minutes the needle slowly starts going from full clockwise towards empty.(the needle goes under bottom of the gage, not across the top down to empty....
I checked the sending unit by Barry K. instructions and it is ok..( put the ohm meter between the two bare terminals at the sender the pushed the float un nad down and got 4-90 ohms...)
With the battery connected, the needle starts moving counterclock wise as lonmg as the key is on. I checked the voltage at the gauge with a meter and got 11.6volts, checked the voltage at the sender got the same voltage. Checked the ground at sender OK and at the gage. I was not working on any of the fuel system ...
Thanks for any help... Chuck
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
justatoy
Pro

did you clean the ground at the sender...
Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
67 green
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1965 rag top
did you clean the ground at the sender...
I did and i checked the ground at the sender with the omh tester and a positive ground with positive results
Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default ohms!

I could be wrong, but full resistence should read no more than 32 ohms. Sounds like a bad sender.

Earl
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If your gauge wiring seems right, then maybe your car is actually making fuel, out of vapors extracted from the air. You might be the owner of the first old Corvette to have a negative carbon footprint!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Don SSDD
Racer

In checking my gauge, I had a long thin piece of wood and I cut a groove in the end which will fit over the edge of the float in the tank. With the tank 1/2 full, you can see the float in the tank and look forward and see the gas gauge on the dash.

Turn the key on (disconnect the ballast so you don't burn the points) and using the stick you can see what the gauge does as you push down on the float. Maybe the wires are on backwards?

Don
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by bigearl56
I could be wrong, but full resistence should read no more than 32 ohms. Sounds like a bad sender.

Earl
C1's are 33 ohms full, C2 and C3 are 90 ohms full.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM
split_window
Instructor

Default sounds like a bad gauge

Chuck,

sounds like a bad gauge to me. That is, assuming that you have the wires connected correctly at the sending unit (Pink to "I" and brown/tan to "S"). I chased my fuel gauge problems for a while and found that BOTH my gauge and sending unit were faulty. Here a quick check that should tell you if the gauge is working.
1. Disconnect the brown/tan wire at the sending unit. With power and ingition on, the gauge should show one extreme (memory tell me that is should be "full", but I've slept since then.)
2. now ground the brown pigtail to a known good ground and the gauge should read the other extreme.

If the gauge does not behave this way, then it is in need of repair/replacement. The fact that the gauge goes from full clockwise to empty without power tells me that the gauge is faulty. When my gauge came back from repair it showed about 1/2 full without power.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting of my gauge issues.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Jimsjam33
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We C1 guys got to stick together . So in that spirit , do it like the rest of us do it. Don't worry about it . Everytime you take the car out.. go to the gas station and fill up . That will guarantee you some mental tranquility and if the needle is pointing the wrong way or jumping up or down on forty miles of bad road , so what ?
I've tried to get mine perfect to no avail . The only time it's right is when it reads empty !
Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

When I replaced the wiring harness in my car they reveresed the wires in the plug for the fuel gage and it read backwards. I carefully pulled the terminals out of the plastic connector and reversed them and it worked fine. Check the leads per Spilt_Window's earlier post, especially if you've replaced the wiring harness.

Dan
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by 67 green
the needle goes under bottom of the gage, not across the top down to empty....

Sounds like the needle has slipped.....time for re and re.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel gage reads backwards

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel gage reads backwards