C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Local Cruise In Show, Awards, Politics (semi-rant and humility)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Local Cruise In Show, Awards, Politics (semi-rant and humility)

Hi all,

Some of you may have followed my build over the past 3 years. Many forum members, especially Rich Lagasse, were instrumental in helping me pull off my design and build.

In the end, I built the car as I envisioned it and other than a few things I would do differently, the car is exactly what I wanted.

Here's the rub... I tend to be very competitive by nature, and one of my faults is I tend to care too much what people think. In addition, I don't have a lot of time, and when I do I don't have time for club meetings or cruise-ins. I'd rather go play golf with my free time, hang out with the kids, or drive the car. With that being said, I've shown the car twice at the Portland Roadster Show (the biggest show in Oregon), and both times I have won my class (Open Sports). Other than that show, I had only went to one other cruise-in, which is close to my house. I decided to go again this year (this past weekend). This is a nice local show with about 600 cars, but nothing like the Portland Roadster show. The difference is that this is a people vote by those that have cars in the show, rather than a judged event. Last year, I was still working on a few things, and while I thought I was the best vette and best custom car there, I didn't even win 3rd place in the vette category. This year, the car has more upgrades, was done, and looked its best. Rather than enter the convertible (not really a convertible, more of a roadster), or custom (competing against bigger 40's and 50's cars), I decided to enter 53-67 vette again (like the previous year).

I met a LOT of wonderful people, including a member of CF (CorvetteJay). I had a great day with my son and thoroughly enjoyed the car and the weather. In the end, they had the awards and I AGAIN didn't win even 3rd place! I looked at every car in the field. I'm not bragging - I'm being realistic. My car was built to a level that made it clearly one of the top 3 cars there, and clearly the best vette by far. Now I know that my car is a bit radical for some, so I consider that it may not be some peoples taste. I also know that the show is sponsored by a local vette club, and since I am not a member, I am at a disadvantage. In the end, I am happy with the car, but I have to admit it grinds on me to lose to cars that clearly (while decent), are mostly good 10 footers.

Ultimately, I guess I am writing this just wishing that I could enjoy the car and not let this bother me...

James
Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
63dreamer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, you have a beautiful car and should be proud of it and all of the hard work you put into it. At the end of the day you built want you envisioned and didn't do what everyone else is doing. Drive it, show it and enjoy it. You have a truly one of a kind custom. BTW, who did your interior?

Darin
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Just enjoy the show, and don't agonize over the award procedure; at spectator-judged/"people's choice" shows, people just check off the number of the car that appeals to them personally, with little or no knowledge or appreciation of the technical details or the work that went into it. They just "like it", or they don't - that's not "judging".
Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been where you are and I know the feeling. You are the victim of politics of the good old boys club. When ever there is a show that is judged by the participants, the club that has the most members in attendance will win the most awards. I went to a show once where I didn't even place because a judge thought my car was very nice but did not give me any points because she thought my car should have been entered in the stock division. (my car is highly modified). I was upset but let it go because I reflected on why I was there, and that was to make new friends and renew old ones and talk cars with whoever would listen. And a side bonus is I get to drive my car and enjoy the thumbs up from people on the road.
Politics are everywhere so enjoy the fact that you know that you have one of the better cars at most of the shows you attend.
Russ
Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone to/entered a few local shows. American Legion, fire houses, etc. Never even get a mention. I particulary don't like to just go and park for a few hours hopping to win some plastic. I like the dirve to and from anywhere. I even drive to visit with other friends in a show, but never get stuck there anymore waiting for my thanks from the car gods.... IF anything a vette gets looked over more and everybody's an expert. Oh this or that, oh that can't be original, bla, bla....

The jolly old Queen is here today, I should have driven, maybe she would want a ride in a good ole American Classic.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

James,

Non-judged event are to have fun at PERIOD. This past week-end I attended a local clubs event Click Here and got a trophy There were 7 other C2's that were ALL stock appearing (1 NCRS 2nd flight). Mine was the only MOD'd (A/C, chrome, wheels, etc) BUT that was what the PEOPLE liked. If it were judge via point system they wouldn't have even looked at mine.

So you just got to go with the flow. Some show they like CHROME and others don't.

For what it's worth "Your car is FANTASTIC

George

BTW.......If you not a member of the club putting on the show you are also at a BIG disadvantage.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

James,

You will often find that the judging at the larger shows will usually be more objective and consistent - not always but usually. Some local or club events are great but you can run into the political side at some. As John suggests, that's more voting than judging. I've always thought that the better approach for club events is to have member cars there for viewing only to avoid any sense of preferential treatment. With participant judging though it's hard to avoid folks voting for their friends cars. Friendships often win out over voting for a strangers car regardless of how good it is.

I guess the best approach is to go into shows like this understanding the results can be less than objective. But, if you know the nature of the voting and just go for the fun of it, and expect nothing, you could be surprised if you receive something. If not, you won't be as disappointed. My thought would be to go just for the enjoyment of meeting and speaking with all the nice folks who are at these shows. When it comes to the tough competition the larger sanctioned shows are where you can get serious.

Rich
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBudget
Hi all,

In the end, I built the car as I envisioned it and other than a few things I would do differently, the car is exactly what I wanted.

I met a LOT of wonderful people, including a member of CF (CorvetteJay). I had a great day with my son and thoroughly enjoyed the car and the weather. In the end, they had the awards and I AGAIN didn't win even 3rd place! I looked at every car in the field. I'm not bragging - I'm being realistic. My car was built to a level that made it clearly one of the top 3 cars there, and clearly the best vette by far. Now I know that my car is a bit radical for some, so I consider that it may not be some peoples taste. I also know that the show is sponsored by a local vette club, and since I am not a member, I am at a disadvantage. In the end, I am happy with the car, but I have to admit it grinds on me to lose to cars that clearly (while decent), are mostly good 10 footers.

Ultimately, I guess I am writing this just wishing that I could enjoy the car and not let this bother me...

James
James,

First off you really have a nice car, not my cup of tea, but a nice car none the less.. I think your quote above that "It's exactly what YOU wanted" is really the main thing.. If you did this to get trophy's then I think (IMHO) your setting yourself up for dissapointment. What you like is not what everyone else does. Like John and others will likely say, enjoy the show and don't agonize over it. As long as you and your family like it and enjoy it, that's what it's about...

/joe

Last edited by joec; 05-08-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I used to show very competitively for years, mostly in the 80's. There were years when I would show the car more than 50 times in a calandar year. I've shown every type of Corvette, stock and full custom, and judged in many different types of events from Corvette Concours to World of Wheels.

One thing I learned is my blood pressure dropped dramatically after I stopped showing the cars.

When you say you are competitve by nature, I understand how you feel. I also understand how difficult it is to understand that at a "people's vote" show, the results mean absolutely nothing. Nothing. Noth-ing. Even the judged shows are tough to take when you lose, when you don't think you should.

Now to be fair, I've found Corvette people to be among those car owners who are the most unrealistic in terms of what their cars are worth and how they should fare in shows. But, assuming you have a beef, it will not ever, ever, ever get any better for you, psychologically.

I reached the point when, if I won, I pretty much expected it and didn't feel much joy. When I lost, I was either disgusted that I was going against a car that was so much better, or angry that I got screwed in the judging/voting. I also continued to resent the effort of blowing an entire day that I could have been enjoying sleeping late and having fun doing something else.

So, I stopped. I'm much happier for it. Cruises are great where you can park, have a milk shake, talk to car people, and go home when you feel like it with no pressure or stress. This works much better for me and my blood pressure.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Go pay to park, look at all the cars, talk to people, eat drink and leave when I want. Don't want any trophies, well yes I do, for drag racing.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Red63SW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack60
Go pay to park, look at all the cars, talk to people, eat drink and leave when I want. Don't want any trophies, well yes I do, for drag racing.
I'm with Jack. I quit entering shows a long time ago. I build my cars for me, not anybody else. I really don't care what somebody else thinks of my work. I just do the best I can. Besides, it allows me to get back home faster to work on the current project(s)!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Just enjoy the show, and don't agonize over the award procedure; at spectator-judged/"people's choice" shows, people just check off the number of the car that appeals to them personally, with little or no knowledge or appreciation of the technical details or the work that went into it. They just "like it", or they don't - that's not "judging".

plus I'll add something to what John said. Especially on local type shows and cruises a LOT of the winning cars are simply because they are buddies with the other people there and their buddies vote for their car.
My '65 is not perfect and it's not going to win any NCRS top-flight award but it IS a very nice car in very nice condition and I've been to many shows where I KNOW from looking at every other car in my class that I had the nicest car there, period and yet I didn't win any award or even place in the top 5. Many, many times the cars that beat me looked almost like they just rolled out of sitting in a field for 30 years and someone ran a hose over it to get the major dirt off than they brought it to the show but SO WHAT!
Personally I couldn't care less about bring home a trophy, I go to shows and cruises simply to enjoy myself, look at other nice cars and talk to other car people. If I end up bringing home a trophy it's a pleasant bonus to the day but not at all what I go for and expect.

With your car being a custom than it's just as John mentioned - either it strikes the other people as something they like or it doesn't.
The ONLY important thing really is that you built it to be the way YOU like it - everyone else can go jump in the lake.

you may be very competeitive by nature but I'd still advise not to let it get to you and not let it bother you. Enjoy the car - it's yours and you are the only person who has to like it and enjoy it and if others can't appreciate the time, effort, and espense that went into it than do you REALLY care? You know what you have and how nice it is and nothing can take that from you, trophy or not.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I Saw Your Car On Saturday.....

Hi James!

I saw your car at the show on saturday and thought it looked great. I
am also a member of one of the sponsoring car clubs - the Rose City Corvettes - that helped put on the show. I must have helped at least half the 300 cars park this past saturday.
I can understand your disappointment in not winning a trophy at the show. However, I think it needs to be mentioned that the vast majority of the cars entered are street driven cars - not show cars. And the majority of the people voting for cars were looking for nice, well preserved cars that are street driven - not vehicles that are rarely driven at all.
Also, more than a few of the older Corvette types in attendance are
diehard NCRS types and they will always vote for what they perceive as
the most "original" car - even if it clearly isn't the best of show in that class.

P.S. - I voted for your car but did notice that one of your
front bumper bolts is RUSTY and needs to be replaced!

Last edited by avideo; 05-08-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Thanks Guys for the comments.

I built the car for me and I'm happy. With that being said, if there is a show or cruise in that is convenient, I'd like to go and have fun without stress, but maybe it's not possible. The problem is if you register and pay, then you are part of the awards, and if I am part of the awards, then expectations follow. And even if they had a a entry fee with no competition, it would be hard to do that because i would think I should do well... Woe is me, what a wretched man am I...

VetteBuyer5869 comments resonated with me.

James
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Local car shows..... He who brings the biggest entourage often wins.

Also I agree there is a bias towards stock appearing cars. That is my preference but I have a healthy respect for the amount of work a car like yours requires. Just enjoy the ride.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you attend local shows with subjective judging in order to win a trophy you will . You said you had a great day with your son, met some nice people and ejoyed the weather. What more could you really want? Just drive that fine vette, have fun and enjoy the time you have.

Last edited by LSUvetteguy; 05-08-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,158 Likes on 485 Posts

Most peer/people judged shows tend to be more of a popularity/beauty contest (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder) than a true indication of the quality and condition of the build.

Also, you may have the most gorgeous car on the planet, but it's hard to win a beauty competition with a green car . Been there done that. Get used to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Local Cruise In Show, Awards, Politics (semi-rant and humility)

Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Most peer/people judged shows tend to be more of a popularity/beauty contest (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder) than a true indication of the quality and condition of the build.

Also, you may have the most gorgeous car on the planet, but it's hard to win a beauty competition with a green car . Been there done that. Get used to it.

Also, here's a friendly tip to win all Show & Shines.
Re-paint it red, chrome everything, and put the word H-E-M-I on it somewhere! Guaranteed winner, no matter what class it's entered in!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Shows

I have been to local shows and have come in first and last. Same car. The local shows are a great time for the car guys to get together and talk about everthing. The shows remind me of Friday nights at the local car hangout 30 years ago. I go with my son and we have a blast. This car stuff must be rubbing off on him, he just bought a 2000 C5 with 26k miles from the Toy Store in Largo, FL. I had him talk the sales guy down. We pick up the car this weekend. He has been working and saving up for two years. Bottom line, have fun at the shows with your son and friends. Who cares about the trophies. Jerry
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Good comments and advice.

Frankly, it's not the plastic trophy I want or need. It's the fact that it is a competition, and you don't see the "fairness" in the results that bugs me.

Quick Reply: Local Cruise In Show, Awards, Politics (semi-rant and humility)