C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The 65's first wash. It wasn't pretty

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
Mine stays dry in the rain.
I do not drive in the rain.
I do drive in the rain, and the hail, and even snow. My 66 doesn't leak. You have to work at it. IMO get the windshield resealed until it stops leaking.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I drove my 65 daily to work, (about 15 years ago), it only leaked around the soft top where I knew I had a bad section of weatherstripping. IMO, if everything is properly sealed as it should be, it shouldn't leak.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fathers 64 coupe leaks around the door auxillary weatherstriping, but that's it. Before the windshield was replaced it would leak down onto the center console. My guess is that you have a bad windshield leak.
No, i dont think you plugged anything in your wiper grilles-that would be pretty hard to do unless you use triple expanding foam
Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Orginally, the C2's did not leak in the cowl area at all. My 66 convert (owned in the 60's) only leaked at the top of the windshield to the soft top (and only when forced in via highway driving or a pressure hose), and it was minor. Never had a cowl leak.

Now the C1's were/are a different story.

Plasticman
The following users liked this post:
1960 (08-07-2021)
Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default The Answer Is?

Wear a trench or rain coat. One of the Vettes necessities as tools, a spare, jack, fire extinguisher and raincoat then your good to go!........
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got caught in a sudden downpour with my convt. I knew it leaked a little when washed, but while going 50mph it was like a waterfall until we pulled over.
Yeah, they leak. But you gotta LOVE EM!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

After a wash I always have a few drops of waterr here and there.

Mines' all around the windshield area - window was out 2 years ago when the ar was painted, but I don't think the guy used enough of the soft GM sealer compound

When I put is some NOS window SS mouldings this year I will try to address that - may oy may not have to pull the window if any of the clips break.

Not eonough of a headache to care - only time my car gets wet is when washing it.

Put painter's blue tape around the windshiled trim prior to washing to minimze any water going into the car.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have got a 65 AOS convertible and she leaks around the wheatherstrips on the doors. Before changing the weatherstrips on the softtop frame I was washed out of the car when driving in rain, now with everything new she does not leak!

Under the dash no leaks at all, but i cleaned the drainholes!

Mike
Old 05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Red64RoadsterMike
Racer

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Knock on wood....maybe I'm one of the few also. I can do a normal wash job on my '65 Conv and do not wind up with water inside. I wash the top, windshield, and side windows and rinse (spray) them off. No water inside.

I have been caught in the rain twice. Water poured in through the top and front of the conv. top. I know that I have a bad piece of weatherstrip there though. My car is a late '65 conv. A.O. Smith body.

My 64 vert is the same, it only leaks when being driven in the rain at the top of the windshield and in the rear. Washing it is not a problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Red64RoadsterMike
My 64 vert only leaks when being driven in the rain at the top of the windshield and in the rear. Washing it is not a problem.
Add a weatherstrip between the header bar weatherstrip and the top bead. It allows 70-75mph in the rain.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
buddyepa
Racer

My '65 vert does leak (and you can feel the air) where the soft top and windshield come together. Is there a way to adjust the clamps to seal tighter? I see nothing which appears to be an adjustment item.

And I can see light between the rear of the top and the rear deck. The top is a new Knoch and all weather strippig is new.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

A friend nearby performed a frame-off on this '65 Coupe...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appsl...otNumber=629.3
It required extensive birdcage repair, to the point that rust on the top of the windshield header was pushing the roof fiberglass away from the header. I watched the process over a period of 2 years +.

When the front clip was removed to access the lower birdcage, I was very surprised to see a couple of areas that the factory had not sealed in the area where the wiper transmissions mounted to the body. This thing must have leaked badly since it was new. The holes/openings were dime-sized or larger.

Before completing the interior, he performed water tests and found several areas where it still leaked near the base of the windshield. These were all sealed and once completed there were absolutely no leaks into the interior. The bottom line is if you want to take the time and go to the trouble, they can be very effectively sealed. But don't be surprised by the job St. Louis did (and didn't do) in this area when you take it apart.

GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
1960 (08-07-2021)
Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

After a 3 hour tow in the rain on an open trailer, I did not know if I should work on sealing it up, or just install a bilge pump.....

3 1/2 inches of water in the passenger's foot well.......

Last edited by Donny Brass; 05-14-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok guys, so I'm doing a complete body off restoration on my 67 convertible. At this point, the body is resting on the frame, and the only thing left on the body is one headlight bucket. EVERYTHING is out of the car.

What steps can I take to seal up any problem areas?

Should I address this BEFORE the car goes to paint or AFTER?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Note the photos in post #16 - that's the crud that collects in the bottom of the side plenums over the years and blocks the plenum drain holes; they're just rearward of the #1 body mount bolt - you have to remove the outer splash shields to get at them. When they're plugged, water from the cowl vent area just rises in the bottom of the plenum and eventually weeps in through the bottom of the kickpad grilles, wetting the carpet.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I'd think you'd be a more careful reader of the written word. Nowhere did I claim either of my C-2's are completely dry. Almost, but not quite.

If your car is leaking as bad as you claim and it was mine and I couldn't fix it, I'd burn it to the ground and go get a good one. Maybe you like your car smelling like a swamp. I don't.

I think many people let them leak because they just know it's a rusted birdcage or the windshield has to come out because Corvette Joe Blow over here told them that ALL OF THEM LEAK THERE, and therefore they consider it "okay" and they do nothing.
I've noticed on my '64 coupe when I wash it that water leaks from the drivers side dash area onto the floor. I was afraid of the potential for birdcage rust, so I've looked hard for any signs of it, but haven't found any. Note the car is still together. What are the best ways to find birdcage damage short of taking the car apart? Is the next place to look the windshield seals?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Wear a trench or rain coat. One of the Vettes necessities as tools, a spare, jack, fire extinguisher and raincoat then your good to go!........
...and a bilge pump....
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To The 65's first wash. It wasn't pretty

Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magicv8
I do drive in the rain, and the hail, and even snow. My 66 doesn't leak. You have to work at it. IMO get the windshield resealed until it stops leaking.
My car does not leak except through the top header and that is minor. I only ever get that leak at the quarter car wash using the pressure washer, never when driving, you all need to find the leaks.. I used my air compressor and had a friend point the wand at the front of the window and used a butane lighter on the inside to test for leaks... all is perfect now...
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jon68l79
I've noticed on my '64 coupe when I wash it that water leaks from the drivers side dash area onto the floor. I was afraid of the potential for birdcage rust, so I've looked hard for any signs of it, but haven't found any. Note the car is still together. What are the best ways to find birdcage damage short of taking the car apart? Is the next place to look the windshield seals?
My suggesttion to you is to go back to the front of this thread and read the fifth post. It addresses the thread originators question and yours.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-14-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
My suggesttion to you is to go back to the front of this thread and read the fifth post. It addresses the thread originators question and yours.
Must have read thru the thread too quickly, but I think I see your point. So if I don't get water in the wiper pivot or windshield and it leaks, that indicates birdcage rust? Would I be able to see from under the dash anywhere?

Quick Reply: The 65's first wash. It wasn't pretty