C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Metal etching primer

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Metal etching primer

I have been told ( by someone I trust) to use Metal etching primer as my first coat on my vette. The person spraying my primer questioned me on it saying "why use metal etching primer on a non metal car?"

any opinions.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
I have been told ( by someone I trust) to use Metal etching primer as my first coat on my vette. The person spraying my primer questioned me on it saying "why use metal etching primer on a non metal car?"

any opinions.
Makes no sense to me?????

Why would you use a primer that is for bare metal to ensure that the paint adheres to the metal on a fiberglass.

oWEN
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette

Why would you use a primer that is for bare metal to ensure that the paint adheres to the metal on a fiberglass.

oWEN
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette

oWEN
Reasonable question but perhaps it also binds better to fiberglass also. The person that told me to do this is a corvette restorer and rod builder. He does not paint his cars but his painter suggested this after painting a vette where he did not use metal etching primer.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
Reasonable question but perhaps it also binds better to fiberglass also. The person that told me to do this is a corvette restorer and rod builder. He does not paint his cars but his painter suggested this after painting a vette where he did not use metal etching primer.
I built a 32 Ford Glass coupe with metal hood. Used metal etching primer on bare metal only and just a light dusting. Then building primer. But no metal etching primer on the glass.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Wont hurt anything, but wont help either. Any good quality primer will do, epoxy or urethane. Actually most epoxy primers are metal etching. You do need metal etching of some type on the aluminum HL buckets etc. though. Zinc chromate is preferable. Some epoxys have some zinc chromate in them.

Get notified of new replies

To Metal etching primer

Quick Reply: Metal etching primer