C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Martz Chassis C1 front suspension

Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 62rat
Bill,

I know it needs more caster but the alignment guy said he put in all he could. Before I put the suspension in I called Martz and asked about the shims that were between the stock suspension and the frame. They told me to leave them out. I suspect that those shims might solve the problem. I probably have about 1200 miles on it now and everything has been great. It drives fine, handles good and doesn't seem to be wearing tires at all. The fact that it doesn't have a sway bar does not seem to be any problem at all.

I finally learned how to post pictures.

I put mine in with my Meyers IFS...
Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 62rat
I want to post a picture of the steering linkage. It took Ididit four tries to get me the right length column but it all worked out real well after that.

Pretty slick, huh?
Bob

That is pretty darn slick!..Looks like the angle on the shaft is real good...no sharp bends and a minimal amount of knuckles.

Also, it is nice to hear that you are having no issues because of the absence of a sway bar...please let us know if that changes. That was one of the things that was worrying me about several of the IFS offerings.....not that it couldn't be fabricated. I just thought they should have included it in the kits to save us the hassle if it was needed.

Glad you have had good results...I'm envious of your progress, hope to get mine started very soon.

Curious to know what you think of the big block in a C1...has that worked out well? I've always had big blocks in the majority of my old cars. But I decided that this one would be the exception.

Stan...

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-15-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
62rat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Bob

That is pretty darn slick!..Looks like the angle on the shaft is real good...no sharp bends and a minimal amount of knuckles.

Also, it is nice to hear that you are having no issues because of the absence of a sway bar...please let us know if that changes. That was one of the things that was worrying me about several of the IFS offerings.....not that it couldn't be fabricated. I just thought they should have included it in the kits to save us the hassle if it was needed.

Glad you have had good results...I'm envious of your progress, hope to get mine started very soon.

Curious to know what you think of the big block in a C1...has that worked out well? I've always had big blocks in the majority of my old cars. But I decided that this one would be the exception.

Stan...

Thanks Stan, I know how you feel. There was a time there when I didn't think I would ever get my car back together either.

I have no issues with the Martz suspension other that the things that I mentioned perviously. They said that I would not miss the sway bar and so far that has proved correct. I'm sure that the new suspension has taken a good amount of weight from the front of the car although I never was able to get a scale to find out what the difference actually is. Martz's workmanship is exceptional.

As for the big block, when I bought the car nine years ago the big block was already in it. I have no experience with small block Vettes. I enjoy the car now and would not even consider putting a small block in it. It has all the power I need and more than the current tires can handle if I really get on it hard. I don't know what the weight difference is between an aluminum head big block and an iron head small block but this car does not feel at all nose heavy to me. I told Martz that I had a big block when I ordered the suspension but I don't know if they did anything different because of that.

I know you have been researching all this for a long time and I'm sure that when you finally get it done you will have it the way you want it.

Good luck on your project and keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 AM
sss3d
Intermediate

That's really great.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin496
Thanks to 62JEFF for the welcome and thanks to Bill for the pics of the rotor/spindle
62 JEFF, what is the assembly from Mll, it looks like Ford?
Is it part of the kit?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by solidaxel
62 JEFF, what is the assembly from Mll, it looks like Ford?
Is it part of the kit?
Don't know, all I did was welcome the guy to the forum.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Don't know, all I did was welcome the guy to the forum.
"Sorry", wrong guy!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
cardozob
Intermediate

Default FLorida living

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Gordon & Ken,

Not by much! But Bill (wmf62) really does appreciate the AC in my shop (and I do a "little" )! And frankly, we both admit that doing the TCI without a lift would be a lot harder!

Plasticman
DEFINITELY THE WAY TO GO!!

www.reliablecartransportation.com
Old 01-01-2018, 02:00 PM
1959corvette
Heel & Toe

I am reading all this, and still dont know which is the easier one to install
Old 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM
1959corvette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Gordon,

I am sure we can write "something" up (later, after full completion). And yes, welding skills are necessary with the TCI. There are several other issues that, while they (or we) have solved each one, has taken a lot more engineering and rebuilds (and time!) than necessary for a "kit".

Plasticman
Plastic man

you seem to know alot about these replacement front ends.

any verdict which is prefered
Old 01-01-2018, 03:17 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Originally Posted by 1959corvette
I am reading all this, and still dont know which is the easier one to install
You are responding to a 9+ year old post.

If you have a question, consider starting a new thread.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Martz Chassis C1 front suspension