C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wouls a C3 tilt/telescopic steering wheel and column work in a C2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Wouls a C3 tilt/telescopic steering wheel and column work in a C2?

I have a source for the column and steering wheel but wonder how much work and modification it would take to have one in a midyear. Has anyone tried this?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

My experience says that anything can be made to work. The problem is if you have to modify the car so much that it can't easily be put back to original. You would probably have to modify the cluster bezel. To me that would be a deal killer. i guess it depends on the car and you. I would be doing a lot of research b/4 attempting this mod. jmo
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

what are you going to do with the ignition switch
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you'd be better off with an aftermarket column. Check Black_Magic's web site for pictures and instructions on adding one to his 65.

On the C3 column, if it's a 68, the ignition switch is still in the dash so that would be the only C3 column that would not have the ignition issue, but I think you'd have to open up the dash bezel to make it fit.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Corvette Central has them listed. I wonder why they won't fit the 63?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050B
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM
C.W.C.
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this to a 1966 and it was relatively easy. The cluster has to be enlarged to the diameter of the c3 column. I removed the cluster and used a metal saw to enlarge the housing. I used the stock mounting bracket and supported the column with a large "u" shaped muffler clamp. All external brackets on the c3 column must be removed. At the end of the column i used the later c3 rag joint assy. Retained the stock ignition switch and used the locking column for additional security when parked. You will have to use the small c3 steering wheel. Overall it was a satisfactory insatllation. I may have pictures of it if you want to see them. Email me direct at: cwcgec@comcast.com
regards,
chuck
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Corvette Central has them listed. I wonder why they won't fit the 63?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050B
The Flaming River tilt column fits the 63 just fine. I know because they prototyped it from my original 63 column which I sent them so they could get proper dimensions without guessing at anything. The first one they produced and sold is installed in my car.

The difference is the turn signal connection at the bottom of the column. 63 originally uses a mechanical switch on the lower section of the column and it doesn't wire into the car's existing harness.

I used a Painless harness when I built my car and it wired right in. I don't see any reason a capable person could not modify a standard 63 wiring harness to adapt to the later style connector.

Rich
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
The Flaming River tilt column fits the 63 just fine. I know because they prototyped it from my original 63 column which I sent them so they could get proper dimensions without guessing at anything. The first one they produced and sold is installed in my car.

The difference is the turn signal connection at the bottom of the column. 63 originally uses a mechanical switch on the lower section of the column and it doesn't wire into the car's existing harness.

I used a Painless harness when I built my car and it wired right in. I don't see any reason a capable person could not modify a standard 63 wiring harness to adapt to the later style connector.

Rich

Good to know. just going by the website. I guess they didnt want to expalin the switches to 63 owners.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys. The Flaming River is quite pricey. I wonder why they don't make it telescopic too. I really don't want to cut my dash, although that is a replaceable part. Looks like I'l wait awhile until technology catches up and they make a '68 style that fits a '65, or the price gets reduced.
As always, thanks for the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Wouls a C3 tilt/telescopic steering wheel and column work in a C2?

Quick Reply: Wouls a C3 tilt/telescopic steering wheel and column work in a C2?