C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

1% lard???!!!

Maybe thats why it keeps GTOguys leather accelerator pump diaphrams supple?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:23 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
with E-10 the moisture that the fuel picks up can cause problems for anything that can rust and that is why the new cars have stainless steel or plated parts where necessary.
The above is undoubtedly true.

In the case of the high pressure pump in Rochester FI, however, the best corrosion inhibitor is regular, frequent use.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:07 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp78
I just can't get over the word "mystery" in the name. Sounds like hokum to me. Kinda like Carters Little Liver Pills.
Back in the day these were called Carter's Little Farter Starters
Old 02-24-2018, 02:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
The above is undoubtedly true.

In the case of the high pressure pump in Rochester FI, however, the best corrosion inhibitor is regular, frequent use.
I used to find corrosion and rust in fuel systems long before there was such a thing as E 10. Matter of fact, water in automotive gasoline used to be quite common. Back then, before E 10, I had two Rochesters I ran. I found a little rust in the pump in one of them. Since E 10, I have four more FI units that have had a constant source of E 10 run through them. Three of them have been apart and no rust. Not a spec. Just really clean unlike the old days of crappy, dirty gasoline.

I have used MMO to good advantage. It's an excellent penetrating oil and I have known it to free up sticking valves in small side valve engines on several occasions. For a fact. Don't know about OHV engines. Never thought I needed it.

Automatic transmmision fluid works much the same way. Like Dexron II,III.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Drothgeb

In the early 2000s, there was an aircraft engine failure that the NTSB stated that MMO as a fuel additive was the probable cause. The NTSB tested a sample of MMO and found it was 74% mineral oil, 25% stoddard solvent, and 1% lard.

If you use it in your car, whatever. If you use it in an aircraft engine, I’d make damn sure it’s approved by the engine’s manufacturer.
It's not approved by Lycoming or TC? As a certificated aircraft mechanic and a private pilot license holder, retired, I wouldn't be putting it in any aircraft engine. They do note that any additive in the oil voids the warranty. I was surprised reading about it how many people openly admit to putting it in their planes. I didn't see in the NTSB report any consequences for using it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:38 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

With modern oil formulas l really don't see a need for it any more. The only additives I use are Techron and StaBil.

My penetrating oil is acetone and tranny fluid.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:13 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

It's also very good on the rocks with a lemon twist!

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil in Fuel?