C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

gremlins in my 64 highbeam

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:57 PM
64 Roadster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gremlins in my 64 highbeam

Hi !

My 64 highbeams started acting funny last saturday. I was coming home after a night show and pushed the floor switch to put the Highbeams on. No problem for about 1 minute then all 4 lights started flickering!!!

Next sunday, was too late on saturday evening to have a look at hit, i've try to find what the problem was. If i light the low beams, there's no problem. When i put the HB on, car running or car not running and wait for about 10 seconds they start flickering all 4 of them. If i unplug either one of the four lights the remaining 3 stay on with no problem. All my wiring harness is brand new. I've checked at the firewall and the connection is clean and tight. I've also unplunged the light harness at the firewall and with a test light checked if i had power from the fuses box. Power is there. I've also notice while doing this that when i hit the HB, there's no more power at the LB connector. Is this normal?

Could the switch for the HB be bad or could it be one the light??

Hope i've been clear enough and someone will be able to help out.

As always, thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the carpet back away from the floor switch and check the plastic connector. It's a three prong connector and over time it'll become corroded, possibly get all the wires crossed up etc.

If that's it, you can get the connector from Ron Francis Electrical.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Lights

You may want to replace the high beam switch at the floor. It only costs about $10 and you should be able to find it at any auto store. Mine used to turn off the lights when you hit the switch. Jerry
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default headlights

I had the same problem with my '64, was either low beams or none, turned out to be the connector for the high or low beam switch on the floor. Cleaned the push in contacts up and that was it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
cramus
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Default High beam switch corrosion

All my headlights use to go out when I would hit the high beam switch. Cleaned corrosion off the switch terminals and they all work now. They are a little dim. I could probable use a new switch but at least they work.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM
64 Roadster
Cruising

Yes... i tought it was the switch too so i went and purchase a new one today ... problem is still there Still trying to find the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 64 Roadster
Hi !

If i unplug either one of the four lights the remaining 3 stay on with no problem. All my wiring harness is brand new. I've checked at the firewall and the connection is clean and tight. I've also unplunged the light harness at the firewall and with a test light checked if i had power from the fuses box. Power is there. I've also notice while doing this that when i hit the HB, there's no more power at the LB connector. Is this normal?
As always, thanks
If you unplug either one of the four lights and the other three remain on, you probably have reduced the current load enough to keep from tripping the circuit breaker located in the headlight switch. If you are using standard or halogen filament bulbs the circuit breaker should not trip unless it is weak, or there is and additional load on the circuit in conjunction with the headlights .

Losing current to the low beam side of the dimmer switch when the high beams are on is normal. The low beam filament in the outboard , dual filament bulb is not supposed to have power when the high beams are on.

Dave
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 PM
64 Roadster
Cruising

Thanks Dave!

I did think about that. Next try on my list is going to be the headlight switch.

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To gremlins in my 64 highbeam

Quick Reply: gremlins in my 64 highbeam