C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What Bonding Adhesive should I use

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default What Bonding Adhesive should I use

I have read several threads on the subject of Bonding Adhesive and several seem to like the 3M product with Fusor coming in second for someone looking for a working window of 1- 1.5 hr.

3M Automix 8115 for $41.10 @ 6.75 oz and the applicator gun for $148.00

Fusor 127EZ for $34.99 @ 10.1 oz and the applicator gun for $44.99

The Pros seem to like Corvette Image or Ecklers Bonding Adhesive but the working time is very short and my concern is working time for a first time user. I will be using this to install a jigged front end.

If I go with the 3M or Fusor how many tubes would it take to install a front end?

Any other tips or input would be a great help, thanks

Dennis
Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
split63
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya, what he said. Any thoughts on the best bonding adhesive. Aparently there is an epoxy and a polyester bonding adhesive.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default bonding adhesive

You can buy 3M automix bonding adhesive #8115 and the applicator gun through Auto Body Toolmart (www.autobodytoolmart.com). The bonding adhesivs is $32.39 and the applicator gun is $79.99. I haven't installed the front end on my 61 yet, but I was told it would take about 6 tubes. Bob
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Bob, thanks for the link
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
split63
Pro

I have been reading all the various posts on this subject as far back as the archive goes. I'm dizzy.

The epoxy sounds good. But what if the unforeseen happens, and a panel gets whacked and needs to be replaced. Can you get the epoxy off without destroying the good panels?

Potential issues with epoxy
1. Its permanent?
2. Correct color and texture? (Fusor is white, 3M=black)
3. High Cost
4. requires applicator gun

Positives:
1. Strength, Adhesion. longevity

The other choice is polyester which appears to be what all the vettes originally came with. So using it for repairs and panel replacement should be as good as the original

Issues with Polyester:
1. short Working time

Positives:
1. Less expensive than expoxy
2. can be used as filler
3. Color and texture same as original?
4. Can be removed for panel repair

It would seem that after all the years that the older FRP vettes have been around, that we would have settled on the best products for panel adhesives, the best for filling, the best for seam repair. Instead, it seems that there is always someone advocating yet another product.

Corrections welcome.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'v been using Corvette Image bond for years now. I never bought any of the jig built noses. I always built my own. Installing a jig built nose is the same as a one piece. It is the easy way to do it and you should not need that much working time. If you feel you do need alot of time then I would use Lord Fusor. There are a few diff. ones you can use. The T27 has the longest working time. I'v been using it on late model vettes as long as I can remember. If you could get your hands on the air gun it is much easier to put on. Now The T27 can not be used as a top side filler. Only for bonding. EZ100 is for filling and repairs.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
split63
Pro

Originally Posted by aworks
If you feel you do need alot of time then I would use Lord Fusor. There are a few diff. ones you can use. :
The Fusor adhesive is white, and the original GM adhesive is Black.
3M makes a black epoxy, but it comes in fairly small tubes @ $30+ each. Plus it requires the $79 dipenser gun

Sermersheims's offers a 2quart epoxy for $110, but I don't know who makes it, what the color is or how quickly it sets up or how it is applied.

I think I would go with the Polyester if I could resolve the quick setup time issue.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by split63
The Fusor adhesive is white, and the original GM adhesive is Black.
3M makes a black epoxy, but it comes in fairly small tubes @ $30+ each. Plus it requires the $79 dipenser gun

Sermersheims's offers a 2quart epoxy for $110, but I don't know who makes it, what the color is or how quickly it sets up or how it is applied.

I think I would go with the Polyester if I could resolve the quick setup time issue.
Wurth makes a nice adhesive that is black, with good working time. But you can adjust the Corvette Image set to give a good time, especially if you wait for cooler outside temps under 80 deg or so.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

How about Eckler's? .. Seems those guys almost offer up 'one stop' shopping with bonding adhesive, resin, mat, and body filler being available.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 PM
split63
Pro

Originally Posted by The Corvette Kid
You can buy 3M automix bonding adhesive #8115 and the applicator gun through Auto Body Toolmart (www.autobodytoolmart.com). The bonding adhesivs is $32.39 and the applicator gun is $79.99. I haven't installed the front end on my 61 yet, but I was told it would take about 6 tubes. Bob
Do you need to buy the applicator tips separetly?
6 tubes sure seems like a lot, can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I have read several threads on the subject of Bonding Adhesive and several seem to like the 3M product with Fusor coming in second for someone looking for a working window of 1- 1.5 hr.

3M Automix 8115 for $41.10 @ 6.75 oz and the applicator gun for $148.00

Fusor 127EZ for $34.99 @ 10.1 oz and the applicator gun for $44.99

The Pros seem to like Corvette Image or Ecklers Bonding Adhesive but the working time is very short and my concern is working time for a first time user. I will be using this to install a jigged front end.

If I go with the 3M or Fusor how many tubes would it take to install a front end?

Any other tips or input would be a great help, thanks

Dennis
Someone posted a good tip on here to gain a little more working time wiht bonding adhesive. Keep it in the refrigerator until time to mix and use it. The cold will slow down the reaction time. I used Ecklers years ago. I liked it over some of the other types as it seems to have a little more body to it and looks like the old factory stuff when set.

Dan
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bonding Adhesive

With regards to 3M 8115, I used it to glue on a top surround several years ago. At that time it was about 30./twin tubes. The gun AT THAT Time was 325. I lucked out by borrowing a gun from a body shop friend.
I believe it took 3 double tubes to do the '63 surround. I "overbought" & returned the unused tubes after finishing the job. The working window was 90 minutes, & that fact alone takes ALOT of stress out of the job.
Many years ago I glued on a '63 one pc. front end using Evercoat's #870. Two of us worked fairly fast but were able to do it w/o any problems.
You might want to check on Norton products, they have a 2 part adhesive(black) that runs about 20. for a double tube & allows about 90 minutes working time. I believe the gun required is less than the 3M gun.
If I may say one other thing, have EVERYTHING ready to go, & measure, measure, & measure again before you're ready to start glueing. Even with a 90 minute window time can go by fairly quickly especially if there are any problems.
Good Luck! Bob L.

Get notified of new replies

To What Bonding Adhesive should I use

Quick Reply: What Bonding Adhesive should I use