C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will Edelbrock 1406 carb work on a 327 300HP?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Paul, thanks for the info and links. You sure are organized!

Louie

That goes back to my 1979 L-82 days (1986-2003) and being on the Forum since 1999. On the latter I quickly realized that there was an ebb and flow of membership and technical questions re-surfaced frequently. Digital cameras were coming into vogue and the various Fora responded by offering pic upload capabilities. So when I restored and maintained the 1979 I took pics of much of the work as I knew someone at some time would ask a question related to what I had already done. It never failed and was my way of trying to help out. Just this morning I posted in the C3 area on a project involving the installation of Hella driving lamps (powerful DRLs actually) on the 1979.

On the current topic I installed the #1406 Edelbrock carb three years and made some mistakes but learned a lot. It was not just a case of plunking down the carb and hitting the streets. In fact I drove for two seasons without WOT because I had not adjusted the accelerator and Powerglide rods correctly. Perhaps that is a testament to my mild street driving . I did not realize that I did not have WOT and Powerglide kick-down until our Club had access to a road race circuit last July. Coming out of some of the turns I floored it and the car stayed in Drive!! To borrow a metaphor from IKEA, some adjustment needed. This was an interesting thread.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
Paul, thanks for the info and links. You sure are organized!

Louie

That goes back to my 1979 L-82 days (1986-2003) and being on the Forum since 1999. On the latter I quickly realized that there was an ebb and flow of membership and technical questions re-surfaced frequently. Digital cameras were coming into vogue and the various Fora responded by offering pic upload capabilities. So when I restored and maintained the 1979 I took pics of much of the work as I knew someone at some time would ask a question related to what I had already done. It never failed and was my way of trying to help out. Just this morning I posted in the C3 area on a project involving the installation of Hella driving lamps (powerful DRLs actually) on the 1979.
Paul,
So, by your own admission, you are not only organized, you have been organized FOR NINE YEARS while most of us here muddle from post to post and never quite achieve organization! If I were a more thoughtful person, this would be absolutely depressing to think about!

Louie
Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

I searched the web for a local source of the Edelbrock filter and parts. Here is one description I found of the filter:

KKEY FEATURES OF EDELBROCK 8129
Designed in opposition to high-pitched intensity fuel systems and to act by with the help of Edelbrock fuel run along and filter kits

High-quality Russell fuel filters ar manufactured from have one's
quarters aluminum

Replacement fuel filter fits EDL-8128 fuel run along

Filters ar 3" prolonged, 1-1/4" in diam and hold a 40 micrometer disc
essential parts accompanying a ¿6 Male inlet/outlet

Helps the fuel systems at the time that it is clotted attending
contaminants and causes a limitation in the fuel flux

Oh, so THAT'S how it works.... wonder if I should call their tech support for a clearer explanation? .....naaah
Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I haven't seen those words. Glad I didn't. I just....put the filter on. No leaks and the engine runs. OK with me.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:25 PM
markiemyster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Paul,
First off, thanks for the information on the part numbers it was a big help.

I recieved all the parts from Jegs and was starting the install and realized that the filter runs right into the fitting in the intake manifold that has the 5/8 water hose. I assume you don't have an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. Your picture cuts off right where I run into trouble.
Do you have the original manifold that came with the car?
If yes I realise your hose fitting is probably located enough away so its not an issue. If it was what did you do to make it work.

Just wondering. I'll come up with a solution I'm sure after I sleep on it.

Thanks again for the info.

Mark
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
csteve300
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got my afb rebuilt rather than hassle with trying to fit an Edelbrock 1406. Now I cannot get the choke to close upon "setting" by flooring the gas before staeting. Apparently the rebuilder did not set someting right. I lookedd at the shiop manual but cannot find out what is wrong. Yesa I could go electric but car is stock with a complewtly rebuilt #s matching enging so I do not want to do so. Any suggestions?

Thankjs
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. The easy answer is to send it back to the rebuilder, and have him fix it.

2. The choke usually gets hung up because the piston that slides up and down in the choke housing gets stuck. That piston can be troublesome. Sometimes lubrication helps. Try a dry graphite lube. Sometimes working it manually can help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Edelbrock 1406 carb work on a 327 300HP?