C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1954 motorama corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
bruce iggulden
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1954 motorama corvette

what is the value of the 1954 motorama corvette, the sister car to the nomad and the corvair, the corvette that determined the very future of the corvette in 1954, this is the corvette with the first hardtop ever made for corvette, the first corvette made with role up windows and exterior door handles.what if this car was really a 1953 corvette and what if it really existed . what is it worth?i sure would like any pictures of 1954 motorama corvette the hardtop car not the corvair. especially in maroon copper color

Last edited by bruce iggulden; 09-26-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

For only 2 letters (IF) is a very big word. The car is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. Could be 1/2 million or 2x that or only $100K. I just depends how bad someone wants it.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

not worth anything to me, i don't like it...
Bill
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Fantastic, predictable stupid price

Old 09-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the hardtop car a lot. Personally, I think it is how they should have built the 53 - 55 models. With the prototype 56 windshield and hardtop, there is more headroom, less leaks, and roll-up windows. The leaks and lack of roll-up windows is a big reason these cars didn't sell.

Here's one article that states it survived and is being restored:

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature3.html

So whatever happened to these Corvette Dream Cars? Are they still in existence or were they unceremoniously converted to jagged shards of fiberglass by an unsympathetic Corporation that no longer had any use for them? At least one of the cars, the Corvette Hardtop, appears to have survived. It was reportedly built from a late 1953 Corvette, serial number 260. It survives in the hands of a Canadian collector who is restoring it. Factory records suggest that more than one Hardtop was built, though this has not yet been proved.

The Corvair is rumored to have survived, though it hasn't surfaced. It was reportedly seen in the legendary Warhoops salvage yard in Sterling Heights, Michigan, sometime during the 1970s. No trace of it has shown up since then, though rumor has it that it may have changed hands recently. The Waldorf Nomad is also purported to have survived and is supposedly safely in storage in a warehouse on the West Coast. Further details are scarce and have been for decades. Though a GM worker stated that he personally crushed the car under orders from GM management, the Nomad was on display at a Chevy dealership weeks after he said he destroyed it. It is possible that there was more than one car built, which would explain the apparent discrepancy. Still, the car hasn't appeared, so we are forced to make our own decisions on its fate.

Whatever happened to the Corvair and the Nomad, we know that the three 1954 Motorama Corvettes were very influential machines still prized by enthusiasts and sought after by collectors. Best of all, the Corvette Hardtop is alive and being restored. Its day back on the turntables is coming.

This article originally appeared in the APRIL 1, 2005 issue of Hemmings Classic Car.

See also:

http://c1registry.com/index.php?job=...09-20&uid=9497

If I was building a 54 resto-mod, I'd put in the 56-62 windshield, and modify the 54 doors to accomodate the 56-62 roll-up windows, like this guy did:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/fe...tte/index.html
Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The gold Olds brought 4 mil at BJ. I think the Vette would bring at least 5 mil.
I looked at doing that on my 54. The windshield bolts right on, but the door/windows was way more work that I was willing to do.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If B.J. is the seller it will without a doubt bring several million. Usally its two or three rich guys trying to out bid each other. Any other seller would IMO be hard pressed to hit the million mark.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default 1954 Corvair Fastback

I am actually building this car at the present time. The roofline is being cut on a seven axis machine from butter board. The car will be true to the original with roll up windows and dated drive train, waffle interior and all. very neat project under construction.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you share some pics of the restoration with us?? Or place them on the c1registry?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Once the top is completed and molded to the body, I'll post many pictures for everyone interested. It's just a 54 roller at present time.

This will be later in the year or maybe even springtime. We're gatherinig windshield parts and 56-60 door shells and pieces right now. The windshield will be a 55 chevy piece, narrowed with custom glass. All stainless will be hand formed. The trunk trim will be laser cut. the Corvair emblems have already been laser cut. I'm currently building another replica of EX122 with ALL modifications. The engine compartment will be exact to the GM pictures. Firewall, inner fenders, hood underside, headlights, fender scoops, decklid, trim, etc, etc. The drivetrain is also dated according to GM records. Neat project also.
My email address is BV1953@aol.com.
Blue Flame restorations
Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 53 Blue Flame Brett
Once the top is completed and molded to the body, I'll post many pictures for everyone interested. It's just a 54 roller at present time.
I can't wait to see the pics - good luck with the project. If you think you will ever sell the car, you might want to paint it the original candy-apple red color instead of the later green color.

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54...54corvair.html
Old 09-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Michaelw
Racer

BF Brett,

I took some pictures of EX-122 at kerbeck last july, if you want them just let me know!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Michaelw
Racer

BF Brett,

Lats july I took some pics of EX122 at kerbeck, if you want them let me know!

Also I met a nice man who is well in his 60s, 53 owner himself, who extensively studied the car in real life in the 1960s. Perhaps he can help you on some details. If you need his contacts then let me know also.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

I Have Some Original Photos Shot By A Person At The 53 Miami Show. I'd Love To See More Though. I've Looked At The Kerbeck Car. Looks Good But The Engine Bay Is Not As The Original Was. They Did A Good Job But Did Not Do Al Of The Mods. I'm Doing This Car For A Customer Who Actually Owns The Body For Corvete #2. Yes, It Does Exist And He Has Documentation To Prove It. Really Neat History! I Appreciate The Interest In These Two Projects. I'll Post Pics As The Progress Comes Along.
Brett
Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default 1954 Motorama Corvette

One of the most historically significant Corvettes ever produced. Several firsts for a corvette. Undoubtedly a late 53 pulled off the line for the Motorama, considering the cars needed to be ready for January shows.

Priceless!!
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 AM
blanchae
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What color are you going to paint the 54 Corvair?

Burgundy red or seafoam green?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 AM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

I'm leaning towards the green. Most of the color pics that I run across are from the green car. It looks "period" correct also. I probably wouldn't paint anything else that color but it looks "correct" on this car. Call me sick, but I kind of like the harvest Gold/Green combo on the 55's!! It just goes with the 50's motif.

Get notified of new replies

To 1954 motorama corvette

Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
bruce iggulden
Intermediate

I'm leaning towards the green. Most of the color pics that I run across are from the green car. It looks "period" correct also. I probably wouldn't paint anything else that color but it looks "correct" on this car. Call me sick, but I kind of like the harvest Gold/Green combo on the 55's!! It just goes with the 50's motif.
brett i think your car should be painted in the copper marroon color . i still have some of the original color on the motorama corvette and i have spectrographed that color to come up with the identical color for my corvette. if you need help with that im here. thanks bruce
Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 AM
bruce iggulden
Intermediate

One of the most historically significant Corvettes ever produced. Several firsts for a corvette. Undoubtedly a late 53 pulled off the line for the Motorama, considering the cars needed to be ready for January shows.

Priceless!!
does anyone have pics that they can post of this car at any of the motoramas,especially in the burgundy copper color. love to see them . thanks motorama bruce
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
bruce iggulden
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruce iggulden
does anyone have pics that they can post of this car at any of the motoramas,especially in the burgundy copper color. love to see them . thanks motorama bruce
keep watching this thread to see pictures of the coming out for the 1954/1953 motorama corvette . picures of this car wil be posted to this thread soon. dont miss this piece of corvette history. thanks motorama bruce

Quick Reply: 1954 motorama corvette