C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electric fan on midyear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 04:38 PM
stngry63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric fan on midyear

After throwing several belts going down my favorite exit ramp, I installed billet pulleys. I wish that I would have been patient enough to find the proper GM deep groove pulleys. The mount of the water pump pulley is thicker than stock. As a result, the shaft from the water pump does not stick through far enough to center the fan. It vibrates. On a small block with a guesstimated calculated 210 rwhp and new radiator, is an electric fan enough? Has anybody used an aftermarket fan with no clutch or done something similar? When will I learn? Aftermarket racing parts on an old Corvette always means lots of fiddling and trips to the store.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:59 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Electric fan on midyear (stngry63)

I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that your pullys are misaligned due to one having slightly thinner materiel at the water pump end? If so, it's really an easy fix. If you simply use the same thickness washers btwn the pully and w/pump or btwn the lower crank pully and dampener, you will be able to align them quite nicely. Lots of sbc's do not align all that great. :cheers: I do have a 3000 cfm 'puller' fan installed on mine also to assist in traffic. Not sure if I would trust it all by itself though....doesn't seem to be enough room under the vert's hood to get all the hot air out.

[Modified by MasterDave, 1:58 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 05:29 PM
stngry63
Racer

Default Re: Electric fan on midyear (MasterDave)

The pulleys line up well. I had to do a little grinding :smash: on my non-numbers matching water pump since there was slight contact. I can't get the fan centered on the pulley. The tolerance of the bolt holes is too great. So, I'm considering dumping the mechanical fan altogether and go electric.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:06 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh, ok, I get it. That's why it vibrated, you cannot center the w/pump on the aftermarket pully. I would 'can' the clutch fan and install a 6 or 7 bladed flex type fan in its place. Will work great. You may have to use a spacer to make sure the fan blade is about half-in, half-out of your shroud, but those are easy to get and cheap too. :cool:

[Modified by MasterDave, 2:09 PM 11/16/2001]

[Modified by MasterDave, 2:10 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 09:36 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as your original question, The Be Cool radiator people claim their fan can (and does) replace the belt driven fan.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:03 PM
stngry63
Racer

I installed a flex fan with a 1" spacer onto the billet water pump pulley. It does work great; no vibration no thrown belts. It may be my imagination, but it seems to rev a little better.

[Modified by stngry63, 4:05 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 07:44 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I've used an Electric fan on a big-block with success. It was made by Flex-a-lite and came with a fiberglass shroud and bult in thermostatic switch. I had it draw air through the radiator from the backside of the radiator. At highway speeds, the air speed was enough alone to cool the engine.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:36 PM
Colevette
Instructor

We are using 2-10" spal pullers on a 4 core small tube rad cooling a 502 in a 67 we set one fan to come on via a 160 sensor and the 2nd at 180. works great. Cole:yesnod: :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fan on midyear

Quick Reply: Electric fan on midyear