C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Custom Steering Wheel For A C1?

Old 11-16-2001, 11:45 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Custom Steering Wheel For A C1?

Does anyone have a nonstock steering wheel, excluding Grant, on their C1? I need something that is fatter, my old tired hands can't grip that skinny wheel tight enough on bad days. I was thinking about the leather wrap stock looking wheel at CC., but that thing is $$$$. My first choice is a two piece billet, but I have not been able to find an adaptor that doesn't push the wheel back another 1 1/2' towards the seat. Any C1's with nonstock wheels out there?

Gary
Old 11-17-2001, 11:46 AM
Torchred62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (GT's58)

GT's58, I have a Grant signature wood steering whell that I had machined to fit the stock hub. I didn't want to pay the price for the CC steering wheel either and the price for the originals is just out of sight. So I looked around and found that the Grant wheel had no offset (so it didn't stick out any more than the original would) it had the same center spoke outside diameter as the stock hub so I had a machine shop match the mounting holes and then I made the hole in the middle match the hub pattern for the horn stuff. Even the stock horn button works. It works out really nice and looks stock accept for the wood rim and the diameter of the wheel. I am sure you can find a Grant wheel that looks like you want and then have it machined to fit with no adapter.
:cheers:
Old 11-17-2001, 05:03 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (Torchred62)

Just got home from the Good Guys car show. Went to every vender and had no luck :cry
Old 11-20-2001, 07:20 PM
BIGBLOCK62
Instructor

Corvette Central has one for 400 ish and is pretty decent. I will sell mine soon as I am building a custom billet steering wheel. Red leather covered.
Chuck
Old 11-20-2001, 08:03 PM
jdouyer
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (BIGBLOCK62)

Hi from Australia.

I have a 14 inch leather wrapped wheel for my 61 that is made by an Australian company called SAAS. It is called a GT14F. This wheel has about a half inch offset which shouldn't make much difference. The mounting holes are identical to the original wheel. I had to use a die grinder to get the central hole to fit over the horn button mountings but that was no trouble. I haven't driven the car with it yet so don't know whether the smaller diameter will have a big influence on the heaviness of the steering. I do know it will be easier to get in and out. This wheel cost me AUS$179 which is about US$85. They did have a web page http://www.saas.com.au but I can't get onto it today. I don't know if you guys can get this wheel over there.

I can email a picture of the wheel if you want me to.

John Douyere.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:29 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (jdouyer)

The website worked fine for me. The steering wheels look good to me! :cool: John, you may have hit on something!

- Mike
Old 11-21-2001, 02:20 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (58Mike)

BIGBLOCK62
How much do you want for your wheel? $40ish? HEHE. How old is it, and what condition. Also, when do you plan on selling it? If the 62 red is the same as the 58 red, you might have a buyer.

JOHN
Thanks for the info. That GT 15D flat looks almost like the stock design. The leather wrap style is what I'm looking for, but are you sure it's only $85 US? That is a smokin price for that type of wheel, and it even bolts up to the stock hub. Hmm, this is looking good.

TOURCHRED
I found out late this afternoon that Grant makes some high end leather wrap wheels, but this outfit did not have any catalogs. I'm going to check this out and see if anything is close to the orig. style with a leather wrap.

Thanks All,
Gary

11/21/01 6:14 PM Thinking :D

[Modified by GT's58, 7:15 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 11:05 AM
BIGBLOCK62
Instructor

I will sell the wheel for 275.00 it is new (4 months) with 2,000 miles. The red is close to Al Knoch red interior and it is sold for all C-1s from CC. Please check their catalog.

It will be a couple of months before I can let it go however. I hope this helpls you.

Chuck
Old 11-21-2001, 08:10 PM
jdouyer
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (BIGBLOCK62)

Hi again all. I bought my SAAS wheel about 18 months ago. It looks like they might have changed their catalog a bit since then because the GT wheel is now listed as either 13 or 15 inch. I would have bought the 15 but it wasn't available then. I checked my paperwork - I paid AUS$179 for my wheel. the current exchange rate is AUS$1 = US$0.51. The 15 inch wheel may be a bit more expensive, I can check it out, a friend of mine from our local corvette club has a car parts store. He got me my wheel, I can phone him to check prices.

This is so much reverse order for us downunder. Usually we are hunting for parts in the US and as you can see by the exchange rate, owning a corvette here is an expensive business.

John Douyere
Old 11-24-2001, 09:17 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

John-

I e-mailed SAAS last Wednesday and told them I wanted buy the 15 inch wheel, but they still haven't responded. If you know a friend with a store, I would gladly buy from them. I'd want the red 15-inch. Thanks! :)

- Mike
Old 11-25-2001, 11:48 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

JOHN,
I am also interested in the SAAS wheel. I am assuming it's the same one as 58Mike is looking at. I can't get any more info or price off their site. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what is the facer plate, the horn button?
The description is GT-15F, the color chart sure lacks, but I am hoping that #SLSW06 red is a bright red. Maybe you could verify that color. Thanks.

CHUCK,
If I have not purchased a new wheel before you are ready to sell yours, give me an email, I'll give you the $27.50 for it. :D

Gary
Old 11-26-2001, 10:45 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1? (DavidB)

SAAS update: They no longer make and are sold out of the GT15F. :sad: They do have a few black ones with black instead of chrome spokes, though. And they have GT15D, but those are a dish instead of flat style, so that won't work for us. In their e-mail, they did confirm the low prices John quoted, so I'm extra bummed!

- Mike
Old 11-26-2001, 11:34 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

SAAS update: They no longer make and are sold out of the GT15F. :sad: They do have a few black ones with black instead of chrome spokes, though. And they have GT15D, but those are a dish instead of flat style, so that won't work for us. In their e-mail, they did confirm the low prices John quoted, so I'm extra bummed!

- Mike
:cry :cry :cry :cry I guess I'll have to go way down south and get that custom chrome chain steering wheel from Pedro's Corvatos. :D
Old 11-27-2001, 04:44 AM
jdouyer
Heel & Toe

I'll chase things at this end guys. I may be able to find one. I have posted some pictures at http://www1.tpg.com.au/users/jdouyer.../steering.html I did them in a rush and they are a bit rough but give the general idea.

John Douyere
Old 11-27-2001, 06:06 PM
Big Block 60
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John
I'm also interested in a SAAS wheel. A black one if possible. Thanks
Old 11-27-2001, 06:29 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the 15 inch padded wheel with the original C-1 center from Corvette Central for almost a year. It is a 1000% improvement over the skinny 17 inch original. Looks good and the padding really helps with the parking and on long trips. Most people don't even know it's not original. Save the Wave. :seeya
Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM
johnde23
Heel & Toe

Default Grant wheel

Originally Posted by Torchred62
GT's58, I have a Grant signature wood steering whell that I had machined to fit the stock hub. I didn't want to pay the price for the CC steering wheel either and the price for the originals is just out of sight. So I looked around and found that the Grant wheel had no offset (so it didn't stick out any more than the original would) it had the same center spoke outside diameter as the stock hub so I had a machine shop match the mounting holes and then I made the hole in the middle match the hub pattern for the horn stuff. Even the stock horn button works. It works out really nice and looks stock accept for the wood rim and the diameter of the wheel. I am sure you can find a Grant wheel that looks like you want and then have it machined to fit with no adapter.
I'm considering a Grant steering wheel 15" wood, what part # was yours ?. I also like the idea of machining the wheel instead of using a modified hub, which I ordered first to see how it fits and matches my original hub. Pictures would help. I also have a 58. Thank you. John
Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 PM
OLDED
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a 14 year old thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Steering Wheel For A C1?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Steering Wheel For A C1?