C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C2 Suspension Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gitanodelnorte
I have a '64 and still have the original small block and drum brakes. The car was converted to big block. 509 Dart aluminum roller motor w/ 700 hp, 5 core radiator, runs 170-180. Vette Brakes C-5 disc brakes front and back. I want to know if anyone has done coil overs and if they feel it was worth it. Seems to me the rear mono spring conversion would be worth it but can't see how much benefit the front would be. Already has A arms and gymkata springs, koni gas shocks and 1" anti-roll bar. Anyone out there done this on a C2 small or big block?
Just curious.....did you install C-5 calipers on a stock C-2 rear susp? I installed C-5 ZO6 on the front of my 66 but was never could find a bracket to install the rear ZO6 calipers. I ended up going with Wilwood aluminum calipers in the rear which are a direct replacement that goes on factory caliper bracket. Please advise how you installed the C-5 rear calipers on your 64! Thanks in advance for your response!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:19 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_waders
Hello, I have a 65 vert. I'd like to upgrade the suspension (front and back) to something more modern. I'd like to replace the entire chassis with something like the Street Shop chassis with C4 suspension but I dont have the budget for that. My question is, can anyone recommend some companies that specialize in similar suspension upgrades for a stock 65 chassis? Does the front mono-spring conversion from Vette Brakes work well? Any recommendations to get me started will help! Thanks!
What do you mean by "more modern"? What do you actually want to accomplish? Do you want the car to "ride" or "handle" better? What does "ride" and "handle" mean?

There are always a zillion responses in these "suspension upgrade" threads, but I don't ever remember one that ever talked about tires, which are the foundation of any "suspension upgrade" because tires are part of and, in fact, the foundation of the suspension. Spending hundreds if not thousands on "suspension upgrades" is like building a house on dirt rather than a solid concrete footing. There's no point spending a lot of money on "suspension upgrades" if the car has junky rock hard compound, S-rated "van tires" that most guys run.

The vintage Corvette suspension is quite amenable to "tuning" for better steering response, overall grip, and stable limit behavior while maintaining the original good ride quality as long as it has high grip tires, but you first have to be sure that the OE suspension is sound. Maybe it needs a rebuild including new OE type bushings, and especially at the rear the spring liners and spring link cushions probably need to be replaced, and don't forget the steering gear and linkage.

The right tires and OE suspension tuning can allow a vintage Corvette to handle as well as a base suspension C7... maybe not as well as a Grand Sport, but you have to cut some slack to a 50-plus year old car, especially tire width and availability if you want to retain the stock body contours.

Take a look at the following thread for my suggestions on how to turn a vintage Corvette into a "g-machine" with just tires, shocks, and appropriate alignment and anti-roll bar tuning.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...systems-2.html

Something else I'll add is I haven't found a "suspension vendor" that appears to understand vehicle dynamics and how to set up a suspension for a given set of road and driving conditions. At SEMA when I start asking about wheel rates, ride frequencies, and roll stiffness distribution, they all go catatonic.

Duke
Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
What do you mean by "more modern"? What do you actually want to accomplish? Do you want the car to "ride" or "handle" better? What does "ride" and "handle" mean?

There are always a zillion responses in these "suspension upgrade" threads, but I don't ever remember one that ever talked about tires, which are the foundation of any "suspension upgrade" because tires are part of and, in fact, the foundation of the suspension. Spending hundreds if not thousands on "suspension upgrades" is like building a house on dirt rather than a solid concrete footing. There's no point spending a lot of money on "suspension upgrades" if the car has junky rock hard compound, S-rated "van tires" that most guys run.

The vintage Corvette suspension is quite amenable to "tuning" for better steering response, overall grip, and stable limit behavior while maintaining the original good ride quality as long as it has high grip tires, but you first have to be sure that the OE suspension is sound. Maybe it needs a rebuild including new OE type bushings, and especially at the rear the spring liners and spring link cushions probably need to be replaced, and don't forget the steering gear and linkage.

The right tires and OE suspension tuning can allow a vintage Corvette to handle as well as a base suspension C7... maybe not as well as a Grand Sport, but you have to cut some slack to a 50-plus year old car, especially tire width and availability if you want to retain the stock body contours.

Take a look at the following thread for my suggestions on how to turn a vintage Corvette into a "g-machine" with just tires, shocks, and appropriate alignment and anti-roll bar tuning.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...systems-2.html

Something else I'll add is I haven't found a "suspension vendor" that appears to understand vehicle dynamics and how to set up a suspension for a given set of road and driving conditions. At SEMA when I start asking about wheel rates, ride frequencies, and roll stiffness distribution, they all go catatonic.

Duke
Yes, tires. There has been tremendous improvements in tire the last 15 years that will make a huge difference on there own. The problem is that they are made in larger sizes than a mid year car will take unless you have flared fenders. If you do then you can get a wider wheel and the newer tire technology that will make a big difference with the tires only. The basic 1963 suspension was the same until they started making changes with C4s basically with just lighter components so with flared fenders it is easy to make a mid year handle as well as a C4.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

The Avon CR6ZZ is a DOT legal racing tire made specifically for vintage sports cars and is available in typical current replacement sizes suitable for OE wheel widths, but I recommend using at least a 6" wide wheel. Either the 205/70R-15 or 215/70R-15 that are both about the same OD and revs/mile are suitable, but the 215 has both a wider section and tread, so measure first.

If you want a vintage Corvette to really "handle", the CR6ZZ is the only logical starting point I'm aware of.

Duke
Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
The Avon CR6ZZ is a DOT legal racing tire made specifically for vintage sports cars and is available in typical current replacement sizes suitable for OE wheel widths, but I recommend using at least a 6" wide wheel. Either the 205/70R-15 or 215/70R-15 that are both about the same OD and revs/mile are suitable, but the 215 has both a wider section and tread, so measure first.

If you want a vintage Corvette to really "handle", the CR6ZZ is the only logical starting point I'm aware of.

Duke
Hoosier makes a Street TD-S which is very good, and has a new upgrade called Hoosier TD-R. Goodyear also makes a vintage race tire, but it's more expensive.
Many do not understand that a RACE tire is so sticky that you don't NEED a really wide tire. A Hoosier (radial) H20 rain tire in a 225-60RX15 will allow you to hit the bump stops on any Corvette with a stock suspension. If you only drive a few thousand (street) miles each year, they will last you years.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yes all of the above tire recommendations are good. However we all know that wider wheel/tires availability offers much better handling but they won't fit in the stock wheel well of a mid year, hence my comment about flared fenders. The sticky race tires are fine unless you daily drive your car as you don't get many miles out of them.

Quick Reply: C2 Suspension Upgrade Help