C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

do my self or farm it out

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 09:16 PM
JimSR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default do my self or farm it out

Hi guys about ready to reinstall all new glass windows spilt windows, windshield,plus all new rubber. Question How hard is this job?Car was just painted so everything is off (old windows chrome old rubber).should I tackle it myself or ship it out.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:14 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Re: do my self or farm it out (JimSR)

Good question. I have replaced glass in old GM trucks, a 67 Chevelle, but not a Vette. I personally would have it done or recruit an expert and assist since my patience were used up long ago. New rubber makes it alot easier, but if you have never done this before I would have it done. JMO.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:11 PM
Ron04,02,96,64
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you have good mechanical skills otherwise, if you've never sone this stuff, I'd recommend you have it done by a pro, especially with all that fresh paint.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:23 PM
GaryC
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: do my self or farm it out (Ron99/64/57)

Ahhh man. I was hoping for someone to tell Jim something different. I am at the same stage as Jim with my '63 SWC and I would like to do it myself also. But, I know if I crack a window or it leaks I would wish I farmed it out.

I think the idea of having someone with experience helping is good.

Oh well!
Old 11-23-2001, 04:32 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would farm out this type of installation myself and let the experts do it. However, if you're really bent on performing this installation, check out Cars and Parts split-window restoration guide, as they show how to do it.
Good luck. :smash:
Old 11-27-2001, 01:51 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: do my self or farm it out (Rair67)

I have done Mid-Year Glass myself just using the AIM as a guide, and there are some "gotchas" that can cause you to start over from the beginning. Personally, I would do it myself. But then, I am a bit crazy. ho ho hee hee ha ha

For example, the little clips that hold the front molding on near the bottom. If they do not work right due to rounded gripping surfaces, or if the seal is too stiff to compress to conform to the molding, the clips will not hold the molding, and the glass & seal must be removed again to install new clips. You can pound on the molding as hard as you like (and ruin it in the process) but the molding will just not stay put. GOTCHA!
Old 11-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I would rather do it myself. This way I know it is being done right. Make sure you have a helper with you to hold and push as necessary. It is not a hard job. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To do my self or farm it out

Quick Reply: do my self or farm it out