C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Got that stubborn 64 running!

Old 11-21-2001, 12:18 PM
MF64VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got that stubborn 64 running!

I'm new to the forum and appreciate all the helpful information you guys give. My 64 (327, 300 hp, 4-speed) started acting up as soon as it got cold. The engine would sputter and hiccup and cut out every time I tried to start it. And it made a horrible noise. Got an appointment with my mechanic (very good but very, very busy) and needed to call AAA for a tow. We tried to jump start the car, and it sputtered, but wouldn't start, even with the choke held wide open. Then nothing. No power at all.
The diagnosis? Alternator was shot, engine had flooded. Mechanic replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and put in new plugs, points and condenser. Voila! It starts right up. The only complaint now is that it still runs a little rough even with the engine warm and occasionally sputters. I have a half a tank of fresh Sunoco 94 gas in it.
Any suggestions? Or is it just the way it is going to run in 30-50 degree weather?
P.S. I have only owned the car for three months. I have had a 1974 coupe (350 4-speed) since 1975 and it hasn't given me any of these problems.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:52 PM
grumpy55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Got that stubborn 64 running! (MF64VETTE)

Make sure the exhaust heat riser is NOT corroded closed (or partially closed)

[Modified by grumpy55, 11:53 AM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 02:25 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Got that stubborn 64 running! (grumpy55)

Choke sticking closed? Maybe not opening when the engine heats up. Chuck
Old 11-21-2001, 06:40 PM
ET Vette
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Got that stubborn 64 running! (Chuck Gongloff)

I would make sure carb gasket is still good.(Did it backfire?) Check torque on intake manifold, and do a compression test. If your Mech. is good like you said, then I'm sure he probably checked all obvious things like wires , timming, and advance when he did the tune-up. Good Luck! ET.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:50 PM
Silver Shark
7th Gear

I think the smell of the Zanio has affected your thought process. I advise you to sell that paper weight and lease a mundane Pontiac with an extended warranty. :nopity
Old 11-27-2001, 09:34 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One more thing to look at. while the cap was off, did the mechanic pull the rotor and clean the crud off the advance weights?
Old 11-28-2001, 10:59 AM
ARed64
Racer

Check the heat range on your plugs. depending upon the reference manual your mechanic used, I have seen several "recommended" plugs (I also have a 64 with 327/300) for this engine. When I bought my car, it ran very, very rough when cold (no problems once warmed up). It turns out the car had AC 46 plugs in it. I changed to 43s and found the car to run much better. I think the manual shop manual says to use 44s.

It sounds like the guys is competent so you would think he reset the timing but this also could be the problem.

Since you already paid the mechanic, I would go back to him and let him diagnois the problem further.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:50 PM
MF64VETTE
Instructor

Default Re: Got that stubborn 64 running! (ARed64)

Thanks for the advice. Since I posted, I had a reputable muffler shop inspect the exhaust system. A pipe was loose and they fixed that and reset a couple clamps. The car idled better, but it still sputters sporadically. If I drive it 60-65 mph on the highway, it's fine. When I downshift and get off on a side road, it tends to cough and sputter in the lower gears. The acceleration is much improved since the tune-up and the exhaust pipe fix. I also put a bottle of Pennzoil Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner in a filled gas tank. So I'll see how it runs after the cleaner has a chance to work. :yesnod:
Old 11-28-2001, 04:00 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

Get some heavy leather gloves and pull one plug wire off at a time[while running] and note the rpm drop at each cyln. The cylinder/clylinders without a drop is your problem. Plugs,wires ,valves need work.
If equal drop all cylns, suspect carb problem. With cold wheather ,the air charge is denser and a low fuel float level will show up that will not show when hot. In other words you'll be running lean.
You might also chk out the choke for proper operation per maint manual. If not right it can cause all types of problems. Make sure it sets the choke butterfly and fast idle linkage right and is not binding open/close.
Good luck
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Got that stubborn 64 running!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got that stubborn 64 running!