C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

540 Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 04:45 PM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540 Engine Upgrade

Hi everybody. This is my first post after "listening" for a while.

I'm in the process of finishing up a 540 cube (700 ft.lbs ) engine for my '67 coupe and was wondering what other drivetrain upgrades everyone would recommend (then I'll have the right parts in my garage to replace the broken ones). Tires will stay close to stock - maybe 60 series rears at the most.
Old 11-21-2001, 05:10 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: 540 Engine Upgrade (Brian67Coupe)

Welcome aboard, Brian.

It's always great to have another mid-year owner on board, especially one of the good guys ('67 big block that is :D )

Drivetrain upgrades?

With that much torque, I don't think I would wait until something breaks to replace it. You can almost count on U-joints (especially on the half-shafts) going.........and they can make a real mess whipping around under there!

If the car hasn't had recent work on the rear end, I'd be looking at the differential and all the rubber cushions, etc.

I sheared all five bolts off the right rear (under normal highway driving) many years ago. Some fiberglass went along with the wheel! The bolts had been weakened at the track earlier. If yours are original, will they handle the torque?

Others with major rear end failures will offer their suggestions.

Again, welcome aboard. PICS?!?
:cheers:

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 4:11 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 09:27 PM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Brian,

The good news is without flaring your wheel wells or running offset control arms, you cannot put sufficient tire on the road to really hook up. They act as a nice safety "clutch". Of course slicks and DOT slicks change the whole equation. You'll quickly learn the art of steering with the throttle!

Common problems are u-joints and half shafts, and aftermarket pieces are available from Tom's or Denny's, but don't stop there. Inner and outer axles need beefing, and w/ that much torque, you'll probably want to step up to 1/2" wheel studs. I also upgraded to a 3" driveshaft, and installed Mark Williams billet transmission slip yoke and differential companion flange. I'm a big fan of Tom's work, but its expensive. I have a good friend with a complete Tom's 1480 rear end on his nitrous'd 64 502 and he regularly comes out of the hole at 4500 rpm on slicks and runs mid 10's at 135 mph.

Jim Moore (427Hotrod) has a nasty 700 HP 540 in his 67 convertible, and recently snapped a u-joint at the strip. I expect he will be beefing his drivetrain this winter and will likely keep us posted on his project.

Welcome to the board, and keep us updated on your project. Always nice to see a kindred big block enthusiast.

Take care,

Mark

PS There are also several big cube Vettes on the C3 forum, you may wish to consider posting there too
Old 11-23-2001, 10:44 PM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Default Re: 540 Engine Upgrade (67HEAVEN)

67HEAVEN and ML67 thanks for the help and the welcome. I guess us '67 folk need to stick together. Could you suggest any good suppliers for the hardware ??? :seeya

I'll post some pictures soon, but I hope my ride looks as good as yours when I'm finished. :D

Brian
Old 11-24-2001, 09:49 AM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/
http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/
http://www.markwilliams.com/
http://www.mcleodind.com/index.asp
http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/default.htm
Old 11-24-2001, 11:33 AM
Brian67Coupe
Advanced

Default Re: 540 Engine Upgrade (ML67)

Thanks for the supplier suggestions. My wife just walked by me working on the computer and asked what I was doing. I told her I'm just working on my Christmas list. :blueangel:

Wait 'til she see's this (drive shaft, u-joints, half shafts ...) :D :D :D :D
Old 11-24-2001, 02:11 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

As long as you're on street tires you won't have much problem..... other than going straight!!!

I sheared and outer stub axle with the 427 on slicks. The first time I actually got it to hook it died! It was the 10th launch on slicks total. The night I installed 90/10 shocks, unhooked sway bar and launched at 3500 instead of 1500 rpm it died on the second launch. But it hooked good!

I killed a halfshaft u-joint (Spicer good stuff) on the first launch on the same 10x26" slicks with the 540. 2000 rpm "walk it out of the hole" deal. Nothing hard at all. No dry hops or anything.

So like Mark said, this winter I will be putting in good stuff. Tom's is awful expensive but make beautiful stuff. They have some proprietary deals with an axle mfg. I believe to get the stuff made, so it's pretty low volume, thus expensive. Much of the stuff is actually from the "truck world". I'm working on some alternatives to spending $4-5000 back there. I think it can be done, but I haven't spent the time yet to get real serious.

The center section is pretty tough, but it can be machined to install 12 bolt guts when you get real serious. The real issues are the axles (inner and outer) and the halfshafts. If actual launching on sticky tires is in the future you better plan it into the deal!

And welcome to the world of "Extreme Midyears"!!!

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 540 Engine Upgrade

Quick Reply: 540 Engine Upgrade