C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tachometer Cable Cleaning and Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
TIMBERWOLF427
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tachometer Cable Cleaning and Lube

The tachometer needle on our 64 started jumping and making a noise so we decided to check the cable. When we pulled the cable it was coated with chunks of old black grease. We cleaned the cable and put dry graphite powder on it and reinstalled. Now the needle only jumps when the engine is idling and the noise comes and goes. We cleaned it several more times but it still jumps at idle and is still a bit noisy. We think there is still some of the old grease in the cable housing and wondered if anyone has ever shot some brake cleaner through the cable housing to clean it. Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You also may wish to spray NAPA electronic connection cleaner in it. It will dry clean and quickly.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Since you still have the jumpy tach problem after lubricating the cable it is more likely your distributor cross gear has developed excessive end play. Once the end play gets wide enough the gear teeth will climb and jam ruining both the cross gear and shaft.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my share of problems with "jumping tachs" the only solution is to get a new cable.

Don't forget to get a couple of 3 or 4 inch 1/4 x 20 screws, take the end screws out of the dash and insert the long ones. Then take the rest of the dash screws out and now your dash can "slide" out to make it easier to get that pesky tach end.

Good Luck....
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Since you still have the jumpy tach problem after lubricating the cable it is more likely your distributor cross gear has developed excessive end play. Once the end play gets wide enough the gear teeth will climb and jam ruining both the cross gear and shaft.

That's what I was thinking while I was reading the question. It'd certainly be a smart move to check ASAP. Do it now, a button might fix the problem. Wait 'till tommorrow and it'll take a button, shaft and gear.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
TIMBERWOLF427
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, after leaving the tach cable unhooked for 4 years we decided to fix or replace what ever was necessary to get it working again. Hooked it back up and it still jumped at idle and was all over the place when accelerating. We could also hear a noise and felt the cable while the engine was running and could feel a vibration. Pulled the cable out and it was coated with old grease. We cleaned the cable then sprayed some cleaner down the housing several time and blew it out with air. A lot of old black grease came out. Then we coated the cable with graphite and also put some down the housing. Hooked everything up and now it works smoother than ever and no noise!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

when mine acted up, i took out the whole cable . Checked and cleaned the inner cable...then lightly lubed it, and cleaned the cable housing out too... its a pia but my tach works nicely and there is no noises to be heard. good luck with your fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Tachometer Cable Cleaning and Lube

Quick Reply: Tachometer Cable Cleaning and Lube