C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 trailer tie down

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM
JDBob62
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C1 trailer tie down

I have been trying to figure out the best way to tie down a 62 to a trailer for transport. I plan to use axle straps around the rear axle and ratchet straps to the rear of the trailer.

My question is about how to tie down the front end of the car. The trailer is a 20' tandom axle. The best position for the car is about 4' back from the front of the trailer. This makes it impossilbe to use over-the-tire nets because the front strap will hit the bottom of the cars valance. (If I move the car farther forward on the trailer I put too much weight on the front trailer axle and the tow vehicle.)

Would there be any problem with hooking a ratchet strap into the lower A arm and cris-crossing the straps (left side A arm to right side of trailer and vise-a-versa)? The area of the lower A arm is near the large pivot bolt holding the A arm to the frame. My tie down stap ends are the large diameter bent wire style vs. the flat bent style.

I have side stake pockets on the trailer that I plan to use. These stake pockets are forward of where the hook would be on the car, thereby pulling the car forward on the tailer against the rear axle straps.

I can not fine any better place to hook the straps on the car that would/could cause suspension damage.

I prefer to attach to the un-sprund components of the car (A arms, rear axle, etc) vs. the frame that can move up and down during transport and is alread pulled down by way of the ratchet spraps.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob
Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

put your front straps around the front crossmember.

Bill
Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I use wheel nets and don't have any problem with my 1960.....

you need the idler tied down.....

old way of tying it down....

this was on my 16' trailer....of course I am no expert and you need to make sure that your car is properly tied down and secured.

more photo's of my car from start to finish and in-between... http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

good luck!!

Last edited by firstgear; 12-22-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 trailer tie down

Quick Reply: C1 trailer tie down