C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dim dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 10:45 PM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dim dash lights

Is there a trick to getting bright instrument lights? Mine work but are so dim, I can't read the gas gauge at night.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:36 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Dim dash lights (65Tuxedo)

Tux - I've posted this a coupla times in the past: my dash lights didn't work AT ALL for at least 15 years. 2 years ago, I pulled the headlight **** back to the "headlight" position. I got a can of LPS 1, 2, or 3 (I forget) which is similar to WD-40, put the plastic tube that's on the nozzle against a square notch near the headlight switch shaft...gave it a couple of squirts, twisted **** left/right, pushed **** in, twisted left/right. No results. Did this for 4 or 5 days; no results. Coming back from a cruise at night, a faint glow emanated from the dash...I was so surprised, I almost ran off the road! Repeated the application a couple of more times, and now the dash lights are as bright as any others I've seen from the same era. Maybe I got lucky...maybe you will, too. :yesnod:
Cruz
Old 11-27-2001, 07:36 AM
tapio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the light switch and that cured my problems. It seems that the old wiring inside the switch created more resistance which dimmed the lights. I also replaced all instrument cluster bulbs.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:00 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 735 Likes on 455 Posts

Default Re: Dim dash lights (tapio)

Ditto. Instrument cluster on my '65 is pretty dim also, except for the "trip meter" window. Do you have to remove the steering column mast jacket to get the instrument cluster out. If so, how much trouble is that maneuver? I wouldn't mind putting fresh bulbs in my dash. Thanks for any feedback! Thanks also to those who responded about the fuel sending unit earlier!

Dave Zuberer
Old 11-27-2001, 09:45 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They all get dim over time. If you pull the cluster;replace them all at once, preferably with made in the USA brand name bulbs. I tried a few of the discount auto store bulbs, and they didn't last long. I got original GE bulbs from NAPA that have now been in for about 6 years - and are getting dim.

Somebody posted the equivalent numbers of aircraft bulbs that worked great and stayed brighter longer. Will you pilots please post the numbers again for us.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 11-28-2001, 03:30 AM
tapio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dim dash lights (DZVette)

I didn´t remove the mast jacket, just very gently lowered it couple of inches to get the instrument cluster away. The cluster removal and installation it PITA, because there´s no room for your tools and fingers... Be careful not to ruin those old gauges, there´re very vulnerable. I accidentally smashed a windshield wiper switch when removing the cluster... Also the temp gauge went nuts after cluster removal and installation... Needle is stuck at "hot"... Nice...

Get notified of new replies

To Dim dash lights

Quick Reply: Dim dash lights