C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I have a chance at a 61

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I have a chance at a 61

I'll be checking it out personally next weekend. What should I be looking for, things that can affect value or wreck the sale? Here is what I know:

1- Red/white coves 1961, no hard top and the soft top needs replaced.
2- Has a 350 in it now, don't know if the owner has the original engine or if he's the original owner.
3- It needs "some body work", but the car is "driveable". I assume that means the car runs. Don't know where the body damage is. No price has been discussed as the car is not "officially" up for sale - yet.

I pretty much know my way around C2s when it comes to the gotchas, but have little knowledge on C1s. Where is the rust prone to collect both on the frame and on the body? Is there a VIN on the frame? I know there's a VIN tag on the steering column. What are the signs that this was an original fuelie vs. just the 283 engine w/carb? What about numbers on the tranny and diff, etc? Depending on the condition, this car may end up as a good NCRS restoration project or a resto-mod project for me or someone else.

Many thanks in advance and Happy New year to you all.

Islander
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

an obvious indication of FI would be holes in the driver's side inner fender panel to mount the aircleaner box.

Bill
Old 12-31-2007, 02:47 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Frame rust would be most noticable anywhere behind the doors, less engine heat, more road splash, look at the inside of the main rails in the rear spring front mount.

Body: front fender and nose piece, most likely lots of patching was done in the past as they were all hit in front,a nd stuff glued back together, or replacement non press molded front end ahead of front wheel wells, look for patch seams anywhere on the lower inside of the body.

Front suspension, jack it up and check play, probably need a rebuild, especially if all covered in 2" of grease/dirt.

Get under and look at floor pan and tunnel from underneath, look for trauma/patching.

Body rust would be evident behind the kickpanels in the door hinge support area at the floor pan.

Look for frame cracks on the underside of the main rails just behind the cross member, take a good flash light, and wire brush. These can be welded up, but it is another project.

Measure wheelbase, it should be the same on both side.

And of course, door alignment and closing, soft top frame straightness.

Those are the expensive repairs that come to mind.

Doug
Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM
zadspal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C-1 corvettes have rust issues but not like midyears. Look on the bottom and sides of the frame rail just forward of the kick ups where the frame starts up to go over the rear axle for rust (most common place). The VIN# is on the frame but it is hard to get to and even harder to read. It is located on the top of the frame rail under where the drivers seat would be. The gap there is only about 3/8" and you can try to put a mirror up to the bottom of the floor of the car and shine a light into the mirror to find this number. Look for "Major" body damage such as a total front end replacement or serious damage to the car in the cowl area. These are areas that are hard to fix and were rarely done right. Other than that if the price is right you can't go wrong with a C-1. They hold thier value really well.

Get notified of new replies

To I have a chance at a 61

Quick Reply: I have a chance at a 61