C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

No Flight First Start - Well Sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No Flight First Start - Well Sort of.

21 January 08 - First Start

I put gas in the car to prime the fuel system and check for leaks. Switching the ignition on the fuel pump would run for 5 seconds as set on the ECM, but I couldn't get the fuel pump to prime. The fuel pump, at about 2" above the bottom of the tank, was too high to self-prime. So, time to drain the fuel from the tank and move the fuel pump lower.

I fabricated a drop bracket (I'll go back and add another brace later) to bring the bottom of the pump flush with the bottom of the tank. Of course that required new fuel lines to and from the pump. Luckily I still had a few lengths of aluminum fuel line tubing setting on the rack.

Once it was all together I put fuel back in the tank. Then, the pump leaked. I drained the tank again, (did I mention it is a pain to drain the tank to remove the fuel pump?) I had disassembled the pump earlier to rotate the mounting bracket on the motor and in the process had mis-keyed the bottom plate which has one register bushing taller than the plate. After fixing the fuel pump leak and with the pump in it's new lower location the system finally primed up to pressure. The only leak was one fitting at the pressure regulator which needed tightening.

Finally, I took the plunge and hit the key. Cranked but no fire. I gave each injector stack a shot of prime, cracked the throttle a bit more and it fired right up. A quick glance for leaks, then looked inside for oil pressure ... and no oil pressure. Quickly shut it off.

I had primed the oil system a couple of times before installing the engine using my test gauge so I knew the oil pump was ok, but I'd never checked the dash gauge. So, I pulled the distributor, put in the primer drive and turned over the oil pump with the cordless drill. The gauge came right up to pressure. I re-installed the distributor just to make sure it was in all the way down and fired it up again, but still no pressure. I pulled the distributor again and checked the depth to the oil pump drive with the primer, then compared it to the distributor.

Sure enough, the distributor reach is about 3/8" less than the primer. I guess the Hilborn manifold sits higher than a normal manifold, and is one thing I had not checked before. I'm going to have to either find a longer reach dual sync distributor, or most likely see about having mine machined to take an adjustable distributor collar then try it all again.

The motor only ran for probably 60 seconds total with the two starts so I doubt it did any damage. I re-primed the oil pump again while turning the motor over and still get 50 psi. I'm going to need to set the throttle stops up higher, as at idle I needed to hold a little throttle (I removed the return springs from the linkage so I could work it by hand easier). So, one step forward and one step back and it's on to the next problem.

Oh yes, did I mention it sounds pretty mean with a good lope and the distinctive header ring. It's pretty loud running in the garage, and may need a bit of additional muffling put into the side pipes but it's not as loud as open headers so measuring the sound level will have to wait for another day.

-Greg
Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm hoping for you. 60 seconds with no oil pressure is a long time. You might be okay if you used a quality assembly lube and had a good recent prime.

Every fuel system I have modified included one or two petcocks in the bottom of the tank for draining. Additionally, you can drain a little every now and then to check for condensation. I started this after I got a load of water from a gas station.

Did you figure out a way to mold the headlight covers?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
GregP
Drifting

I don't think it ran any longer than it usually takes to get oil pressure after an oil change. Just long enough to see it was running then look inside to check the gauge.

No, I havn't gotten back to the headlight covers yet.

-g
Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Longer oil pump drive rod maybe? Sounds easier to find or fabricate than a longer distrib.

Doug
Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
GregP
Drifting

It should be pretty easy to machine the distributor body for an adjustable slip collar. They have distributors with the adjustable collar, but of course mine wasn't made that way.

-g
Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GregP
It should be pretty easy to machine the distributor body for an adjustable slip collar. They have distributors with the adjustable collar, but of course mine wasn't made that way.

-g
I had the same problem, it was off .185". Easy job for a machinist. I am surprised the cam engaged the distr. gear.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
GregP
Drifting

By my measurement (should have done it sooner I know) it just misses (by about the thickenss of the gasket).

Nice car by the way.

-g
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Greg, Glad to hear of and see your progress. Let us see more updated pictures etc. Good luck! Dennis
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
GregP
Drifting

The web site is up to date but has moved to www.gregorypage.net as I ran out of room on the forum site.

-g
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Sorry to hear of the problems, but glad you're making progress on "the BEAST".

See ya on Sunday.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To No Flight First Start - Well Sort of.

Quick Reply: No Flight First Start - Well Sort of.