C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 cove trim help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 AM
freez
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 59 cove trim help

going to install newly polished cove trim and it does not line up with the fender opening. Both sides seem to be the same. I don't know if this trim was ever on this car. it came with it but was not installed.
Anybody have any suggestions
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

When I was going to do my car's trim, I was going to just get reproduction pieces and not worry about my old pieces, just sell them and "be money ahead". HAHA

The reproduction piece fit just like you show, the front piece swung forward away from the wheel opening. You can make some slight adjustments for a mismatch at the wheel opening, but not that much.

Since it came with the car, was it already polished and ready to go when it came but not on the car? If so, then the problem could very well be that you have reproduction pieces that don't fit well at all!

If you can find original pieces you will see that they will fit much better and require only a slight pull here or there to get the fit you want. I ended up getting my original pieces fixed and polished.

Good luck!

ps...you want to put the door trim on first, then match up the end of the "hockey stick" to the door, you won't have much luck going the other way first.....

Last edited by firstgear; 03-18-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 AM
SunsetC6
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Herb has it right. The repos are not good at all and originals are the better bet. I have two 59's and have looked at many pieces of side chrome. I have seen examples of original pieces that were different in length (especially the hockey sticks and top spears) and some just won't match up no matter what you do. Considered putting different NOS chrome on the side of the one I am doing now but wound up getting the original fixed since I know it fits the car. Good Luck and keep us informed..
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
tomply32
Instructor

Default cove trim

now we can understand why it was not put on the car.a couple of thing come into play here one you dont know if they were defective if repops or if they were used and polished stainless gets very hot when polished and is hard to hold and could have been warped seems odd that they are both the same though.i have never seen a repop set that bad .darn i wish gm made new parts .my advise throw them out (after possibly comparing with a correct set)and buy new from a reputable parts supplier like keens corvette parts in cleves ohio ,or whoever you deal with NO EBAY.GOOD LUCK
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by tomply32
now we can understand why it was not put on the car.a couple of thing come into play here one you dont know if they were defective if repops or if they were used and polished stainless gets very hot when polished and is hard to hold and could have been warped seems odd that they are both the same though.i have never seen a repop set that bad .darn i wish gm made new parts .my advise throw them out (after possibly comparing with a correct set)and buy new from a reputable parts supplier like keens corvette parts in cleves ohio ,or whoever you deal with NO EBAY.GOOD LUCK
I got my reproduction parts from Paragon and they were GM reproduction parts. I don't know if the manufacture of the part didn't have their dies set right or what, but it seems that they could prodvide the correct parts if they were set up right. Other than the hockey stick end being wrong like you show, the rest of the reproduction cove trim parts were spot on......
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

check with Chuck (solidaxle) at http://www.ckautollc.com/ and see if he has hockey sticks for sale. He can get pieces refurbished that look better than new.....good luck!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default bad fit for sure

I have some pieces coated in blue rubber from GM from back in the 70s and the fit is non existent to terrible.... I played with my originals by banging out some slight dents and polishing. Was able to get one of the service mouldings to fit with some delicate surgery. Drove me nuts!
The angle of the forward curve is problem. Also shortened one piece where it meets the door. Requires artistry to make some stuff work.

joe
Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 PM
freez
Intermediate

thanks for the input, not exactly what I wanted to hear after spending the money to get all the cove pieces polished and all dents removed.
I guess I will try to find some originals now.
Mark
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
gord holden
Instructor

Default cove chrome

my 58 is the same one side only ,has drove me nuts for twenty years.mission
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OC-1
I have some pieces coated in blue rubber from GM from back in the 70s and the fit is non existent to terrible....
It seems a lot of teh stuff sold off in the 1970's , even though GM NOS, was stuff that didn't make the grade a decade earlier.

This is not the first instance of crap being sold as replacements parts from Chev.

Doug
Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by freez
thanks for the input, not exactly what I wanted to hear after spending the money to get all the cove pieces polished and all dents removed.
I guess I will try to find some originals now.
Mark
show your photo to the guy that got the dents out, he might have the ability to bend that the little bit that it needs....won't hurt to ask...

Herb
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 AM
zadspal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another suggestion is: Don't rule out the fact that many of these old cars had front end damage and most of the glass work wasn't very good. The front end might not be installed properly. Check for damage there. Just a thought!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
freez
Intermediate

to answer some of the questions
one of my first thoughts was it must be the body not repaired correctly. I know there was some front end damage done to the car, however both sides are out the same amount and the car drives very nice for a 49 yr old. If I measure them from tip to tip, would that answer the question if it were the body or trim?
These hockey sticks came with the car not installed and I know the car has been sitting in a garage for the last 25 years with no work done to it, so if they were NOS parts they could have been from the 70's.
I will show the pics to the trim guy to see if he could do anything to them.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Find someone else witha C1 nearby and compare your trim to theirs? That would be very telling.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To 59 cove trim help

Quick Reply: 59 cove trim help