C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 body on C5 chassis Conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:53 PM
olds120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C2 body on C5 chassis Conversion ?

Anyone know how to put a C2 body on a C5 chassis? And what the cost would be.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just like this!!!! Talk to Mike Stockdale at SRIII Motorsports
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/195362corvette.html

Name:  570_Cass57chassis1.jpg
Views: 17008
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  607_57_11-07.jpg
Views: 6180
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldnt say that was on a C5 chassis. And, the wheels on that 56-56 are BUTT UGly.
The following users liked this post:
davcono (01-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2008, 06:34 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
I wouldnt say that was on a C5 chassis. And, the wheels on that 56-56 are BUTT UGly.
I thought I was the only one that dose not like the look of C5 And C6 wheels on early corvettes. I won't say it's ugly but just not my thing.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aworks
I thought I was the only one that dose not like the look of C5 And C6 wheels on early corvettes. I won't say it's ugly but just not my thing.
Thats what I meant, they look stupid on that era car. Just dont go together.

As for the new look, I guess I am too old to understand why anyone would want to be able to see all of those suspension and brake parts. And, for those on the dark side, can anyone tell me why you would want a 24 inch rim and a one inch tire. Thats crazy and has got to ride like a wagon. But, what do I know? I still think "Sick" is
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the new look, I guess I am too old to understand why anyone would want to be able to see all of those suspension and brake parts. And, for those on the dark side, can anyone tell me why you would want a 24 inch rim and a one inch tire. Thats crazy and has got to ride like a wagon. But, what do I know? I still think "Sick" is
Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by olds120
Anyone know how to put a C2 body on a C5 chassis? And what the cost would be.
I know of someone who is putting a C2 body on a real C5 chassis. Involves widening and lengthening the body to fit, lots and lots of labor. I'm guessing if you paid someone to do a project like this that the body work alone would be over 50K.

Charles
Old 04-05-2008, 05:24 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

I call the big rim and no sidewall the rubber band look. 17's are bad enough. But when you get into 20's. Maybe it is an age thing.
The following users liked this post:
davcono (01-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
Not as bad as a carb and air cleaner sticking up thur the hood...LOL

Step on my toes and I'll step on your avatar at least.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/imag...ine=1205501998

It only cost me $804.00 dollars shipped for late model rims and only $1200.00 shipped to bail out on them for what every Tom, Dick and Harry are running on their Mid Years.

Got to love the American way of not having to follow the old People's Party platform for what's acceptable.

PS: Did you scrap the BB Hood or modify it to cover carb?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Wayne,

It is more a case of that is the only thing that will fit on this suspension. Try and find some period correct rims that will fit over the 14" brake rotors and will match up to the offset that is required to work with C4-C6 suspension. I hunted for quite a while to find a better choice for wheels on both my 59 and the 65, but there just ain't anything out there unless you go to a custom built wheel for over 1K + per wheel! As for ride and handling, it is way better than a stock C2. You just have to tailor the springs to match the tires and suspension, and everything works fine. If there was a more stock looking solution available, I would have used it, but 17" wheels were the smallest wheel that would fit over the brakes. I even had a problem with the caliper ripping the balance weight tapes off the inside of the wheel, and had to relocate them inwards a little.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

John.

There are ways of getting a more period correct wheel to work on the C4 setups. C5 is another story. I had 15 inch wheels on both my Grand Sports and 16's on my 60. When I did my 60 I used an SRIII chassis but refused to put late model or big wheels on the car. I cut the half shafts and made the rear short enough so I could use what I call a normal looking wheel.. I also used the 84 to 87 suspension to gain that 3/4 inch diff. When I had PS Eng. make the wheels I gave him the backspace needed and thats it. I agree the late Corvette wheels are the cheaper way out but the wheels make the car. And for what it costs to build one a little more money is no big deal.

Also it depends on the car. Mine is very plain jane looking. Your cars are much more stunning than mine. I like the stock look. But want the later performance. I may put a Street Shop chassis under my 66. I'm already working on what I want for wheels.That one will look very stock also.

Brian G
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by aworks; 04-06-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Brian,

I really wanted a stock look for my 65 as well, but just could not find anything to clear the C5 rotors that had a usable offset. In researching your wheels, if you run across anything you like, please let me know. I would really like something that looks like a 67 bolt-on or a ralley, but I know the ralley is an impossibility due to the huge negative offset needed for this suspension. I have always liked the wheels on your C1.
You are correct that the C5 wheels are an easy and cheap way out, but I have been out of work for almost 10 months, and was looking to keep the cost of the project down, but still get it on the road. When I have money coming back in again, I will be looking for a better wheel, as well as a Magnacharger for the engine!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The C5 doesn’t really have a "chassis", it is integrated in the body structure itself. The drive train and suspension drop out as one unit but the front and rear upper control arms along with the shock mounting points are on the body unit. That is why it is necessary to use a constructed chassis so you have mounting points and structural rigidity to set the "old" body on.

Name:  vettetrain.jpg
Views: 4665
Size:  29.1 KB

John McGraw certainly states the obvious reason for having to use the newer wheel design. Suspension, brake size and offset are dramatically different when using the newer components to improve the performance of the ride and handling of the car.

You can argue that the lower profile tire would give you a harsher ride and I would agree if you were putting them on an "old school" suspension car. However, when using the newer control arms, spring rates and improved geometry the ride is very close to a new production high performance car. The difference being that in the end these modern suspensions coupled with wider high performance tires provide you a good ride with far better stability and performance with best body styles Chevrolet has ever produced.

Take a ride in one of these resto mod cars if you get the chance, you might find you'll like it! If you’re at Carlisle, I'll give you a ride in mine...just don't look at the wheels before you get in, I don't want you to get sick and puke on the interior

Name:  DSCF0174.jpg
Views: 5465
Size:  78.6 KB

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Brian,

I really wanted a stock look for my 65 as well, but just could not find anything to clear the C5 rotors that had a usable offset. In researching your wheels, if you run across anything you like, please let me know. I would really like something that looks like a 67 bolt-on or a rally, but I know the ralley is an impossibility due to the huge negative offset needed for this suspension. I have always liked the wheels on your C1.
You are correct that the C5 wheels are an easy and cheap way out, but I have been out of work for almost 10 months, and was looking to keep the cost of the project down, but still get it on the road. When I have money coming back in again, I will be looking for a better wheel, as well as a Magnacharger for the engine!

Regards, John McGraw
No apologizes necessary for your car John, I think it looks great! I thought you said your car had enough power.... , I knew you would cave.....there’s never enough power!!
R/
Jeff

Last edited by 1coolC2; 04-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

If you want to do a C5 chassis with a C2 body that you can use standard M.Y. offset wheels or for that matter resto-mod frame with C4 suspension and standard offset wheel, then order one from Street Shops Inc.

My Street Shop Inc frames will mount the standard "What Every Tom, Dick and Harry" aftermarket 17" wheel on their Mid Years, or by using common sold adapters allow me to use stock C4 & C5 wheels, just have to run front width wheels on rear too so they fit in fenderwell without hitting. Guess what, my first frame is coming with late model front wheels for no other reason than to avoid the what "Every Tom, Dick and Harry" is using. They are not the wheels I wanted, but ones that keep me in budget on car right now and that is important also with two resto-mod going at same time.

To me RESTO-MOD means up date to modern style components. RETRO- MOD means try to up date to resemble and old style. I want a true Resto-Mod look that in the end has great looking wheels on it, or at least to me it does. I'm not about pleasing other's, young or old, but I have to say it's a lot more fun to have the Young and Dumb" ones liking it, than the "Old and Stupid ones"...LOL

Now I could have chosen option that would have let me run the C4 & C5 wide back wheels or stock offest 17"-20" wheels, but that would have required floorpan to be cut due to rear frame rails being moved inboard.

One of my M.Y. resto's has small flares installed now so I can run wider wheels and tires on it. I know, FLARES are not popular here either...LOL.

Now what can be done with Street Shops Inc C1 as far as a C5 roller, you'll have to call and ask Tray. He may not have built one yet, but if it's practical, and money is right, he would probably do it.

If you scroll down thru the link below, you will see wording, "allows use of stock offset wheels" with his C1 frames, straight axle or independent suspension.
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4str8axl.html

Bottom line, quit worrying about what others think and enjoy spending your money on what you like.

PS: If I've offended anyone with my stance on going with "Personal Choice" following only, just remember that you may have offened someone too, but not me, I've been over worring about that since 1966...LOL.

PS: Forgot about mentioning the performance benefit modern lighter weight wheels and tires provide over older stock heavier ones. That is a benefit I support too.

Theabovestatementsarenotthepopularbelief onmostsitessoit'sintenedsolelyforttheuse ofthosethatwanttobreakoutofthecookiecutt ermoldusebutareafraidtooduetofellingofbe ingaloneonly.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Wayne,

It is more a case of that is the only thing that will fit on this suspension. Try and find some period correct rims that will fit over the 14" brake rotors and will match up to the offset that is required to work with C4-C6 suspension. I hunted for quite a while to find a better choice for wheels on both my 59 and the 65, but there just ain't anything out there unless you go to a custom built wheel for over 1K + per wheel! As for ride and handling, it is way better than a stock C2. You just have to tailor the springs to match the tires and suspension, and everything works fine. If there was a more stock looking solution available, I would have used it, but 17" wheels were the smallest wheel that would fit over the brakes. I even had a problem with the caliper ripping the balance weight tapes off the inside of the wheel, and had to relocate them inwards a little.

Regards, John McGraw
John,

Sorry, I didnt know that was your car, and even so, didnt mean to run it down at all. Thats a beautiful and well engineered car for sure. The wheels are just not my taste, especially on an old car.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1coolC2

Take a ride in one of these resto mod cars if you get the chance, you might find you'll like it! If you’re at Carlisle, I'll give you a ride in mine...just don't look at the wheels before you get in, I don't want you to get sick and puke on the interior

Jeff
Im ready to roll.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:41 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

John,

Sorry, I didnt know that was your car, and even so, didnt mean to run it down at all. Thats a beautiful and well engineered car for sure. The wheels are just not my taste, especially on an old car.
Wayne,

That car in particular is not my car, but a lot of us use the same wheels for the same reason, that is all that will work!
No offense taken, and you are always welcome to take a ride in either one of my resto-mods. Trust me, it will be an eye opening experience!
Here are a couple of my resto-mods. They both use a SRIII chassis.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...E-P0001363.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...D-P0001880.jpg

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To C2 body on C5 chassis Conversion ?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM
ROBERT Q
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
John.

There are ways of getting a more period correct wheel to work on the C4 setups. C5 is another story. I had 15 inch wheels on both my Grand Sports and 16's on my 60. When I did my 60 I used an SRIII chassis but refused to put late model or big wheels on the car. I cut the half shafts and made the rear short enough so I could use what I call a normal looking wheel.. I also used the 84 to 87 suspension to gain that 3/4 inch diff. When I had PS Eng. make the wheels I gave him the backspace needed and thats it. I agree the late Corvette wheels are the cheaper way out but the wheels make the car. And for what it costs to build one a little more money is no big deal.

Also it depends on the car. Mine is very plain jane looking. Your cars are much more stunning than mine. I like the stock look. But want the later performance. I may put a Street Shop chassis under my 66. I'm already working on what I want for wheels.That one will look very stock also.

Brian G
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is a cool option
http://evodwheels.com/evod-wheel/
Robert
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ROBERT Q
Here is a cool option
http://evodwheels.com/evod-wheel/
Robert
Robert,

EVOD makes some great looking wheels, as well as some other Mfgs. Problem is the cost of custom wheels seems to be more than most want to pay just to get a different look. Nothing wrong with that either since your trying to get car back out on the road, and more so that average person can see one, Restomoded or not. Custom wheels Also requires you to figure out the offset needed to fit them. That's a problem for most too.

I personally I like the look of a lot of the aftermarket wheels for C4, C5 & C6. Stock C4, C5 & C6 ones are OK, just have become over done when so many use them. Course that's not true except on a Fourm. They are still rare to the public.

As to the Rubber band tire look, that can be overcome to a degree up to 18.0" dia rims. Above that and tires look like they came off a PU or SUV.

Also a Restomod is supposed to have better brakes than stock, and when you really drive your car like Jeff (1coolC2) does, you need the bigger rotors and larger calipers. Shame more of us don't drive there Corvettes stock or Restomod like Jeff does.

So for all the late model wheel haters, go out and drive the wheels off your Vette and see if you wouldn't want more rubber to the pavement too with your stock engine, much less one putting out 430+ HP are more at crank.

Also if you really want to see stock wheels at their worst on a C2, just look at those skinny tires from behind as you follow one and you'll see they really make the rear end view suck big time. Almost as bad a look as an XKE....

Drive them if you've got'em, sit on the porch and bitch if you don't an it sits in the garage most of the time because it might depreciate or if someone might tell you what's not correct on it if you or out in it...

Love the guys like Jack with his 66 and Roy (1955 Copper) with his 55 that drive'em.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 06-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

No Chassis on a C5 or C6. Frame is part of the body.

Quick Reply: C2 body on C5 chassis Conversion ?